BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Not another Sedan/Coupe debate but...

I was at a local dealership today (not the one I buy from) and I wanted to check out a Sedan on the lot. With my wife having twins, I have shifted my attention form a Coupe to a Sedan. So the associate tells me that they have 3 Coupes and 2 Cabs on the lot but no Sedans. He said that Sedans are far less desirable and typically sit much longer than Coupes/Cabs so they try not to keep too many in their inventory. He said that when it comes time to getting one it is probably best for me to order one.

That’s fine, but I find it weird for him to say that sedans are less desirable, yet the ones they have sitting on the lot are Coupes/Cabs. Anyone else experience something similar?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

The sedans definitely sell a lot less than the coupes
      04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
This is all true, but I will say, when you order a car they will be less likely to deal with you then when they have one they want to move off the lot.
      04-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

the sedans do sell less so that is why he would say that. With kids i would go with the E90. I have no wife or kids and i have the E90 and it's great. No performance difference from the E92.

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I figuered the seadans sell less. It's funny here in L.A. I see more Cabs then anything, way more than coupes or sedans.

The options I am looking at seem to be pretty standard, prem, dct, tech, etc. Seeing is how Sedans sell less best bet to get a deal is to probably just go direct and hope that my dealer can locate one from another lot I guess.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

It's been said already but I'm just agreeing, coupes/cabs are more desirable then sedans. I remember for left over 08 models, I could get some amazing deals on 08 M3 Sedans but not on the coupes... I missed that boat though.

The sedans just "seem" like a compromise for most people. I actually prefer 4 doors rather then 2 unless we're talking no compromise sports cars.
      04-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
CodeRed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 & 67 Alfa GTV

sedan is better
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
poo16
Private
Rep
Drives: m3 e90

Same here when i ordered my e90, i had to test drive the e92 because they didn't have any sedans.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
sedan is better
did you read the title

Sedan is actually good looking. LCI would be even better!
      04-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
malujerry
Rep
Drives: ISF

sedans

it was so hard for me to find a M3 sedan, i ended up getting a great deal on an 08 isf under 50 otd, with no regrets.

but this dealership had/has a few... hope it helps!
http://www.chapmanbmw.com/bmwdetail....kNumber=390153

Last edited by malujerry; 04-08-2009 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malujerry View Post
it was so hard for me to find a M3 sedan[/url]
If you wanted the M3 sedan bad enough you could have found one...
      04-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
E36 M3 sedans didnt sell as many as the coupes either. But its a nice treat when I actually see one on the road.

Hopefully that happens with the E90 as well.
      04-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The sedans might be less popular than the coupes and convertibles, but I can tell you that the M-DCT sedans tend to go very quickly. For example, the '08 M-DCT's disappeared very quickly from the lots. When I was hunting for an M3 back in September, there were only about 10 M-DCT sedans left in the entire nation. This was partly what pushed me into getting another convertible instead. And by October or so, all the M-DCT sedans were gone. So, my point is, if you are at all interested in M-DCT and want to find a good deal on a sedan on the lot, make sure you start your search early because they do not seem to last long.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
M3-DCT
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The sedans might be less popular than the coupes and convertibles, but I can tell you that the M-DCT sedans tend to go very quickly. For example, the '08 M-DCT's disappeared very quickly from the lots. When I was hunting for an M3 back in September, there were only about 10 M-DCT sedans left in the entire nation. This was partly what pushed me into getting another convertible instead. And by October or so, all the M-DCT sedans were gone. So, my point is, if you are at all interested in M-DCT and want to find a good deal on a sedan on the lot, make sure you start your search early because they do not seem to last long.
+1 ... I don't know how people have the assumption that nobody wants a sedan. I thought I would take a shot at the great '08 deals out there and then .. when I started my search ... no DCT Sedans ... my search stopped as quick as it started. As said above ... gone before end of Oct '08. Try getting one of those now ('09 models equipped with DCT) for $300 over invoice .. ! There was one at my local dealer .. beautiful AW+FR loaded ... stood on the floor for 3 weeks and gone (heavily discounted .. I doubt it).

I would pay MORE for a sedan than a coupe (more so if they added a few goodies the coupe has like the nicer seatbacks with nets ... interior lighting effects ... and front seat pull open storage pockets). Why not ... the sedan does look more aggressive overall esp. with the '09 facelift rear (I didn't say looks better .. coupe is good looking no doubt) ... more versatile ... a sleeper ... rarer .. and WAY more convenient. Give me a loaded e90 M3 JB/BB-extended/Carbon/DCT with the stock 18'' wheels ... and I can die and go to heaven a peaceful man knowing I have the best looking set of wheels on the road.

... peace ...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys.

I love the sedan, but I think the coupe has better lines, plus when you think M3/Sportscar you think coupe.

I had an S4 (no comparison I know) and I like the stealthiness to it, plus the practicality of 4 doors, and the power. Truth be told if my wife was only having 1 child I’d go for the coupe, but the sedan is a good alternative.

I definitely don’t see as many Sedans on the road here in LA, but it seems like half if not more of the posters here are sedan owners….?

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #16
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

A couple of points. First, I'm in the OC (but do get to LA every so often) and I've found that while the coupe is certainly more common, I see M3 sedan's often enough that I wouldn't dare call them rare, let alone unpopular. Second, I drive my local dealership every so often and they always have E92/E93s displayed on the lot. Third, I echo mkoesel's comments wholeheartedly, getting an E90 sedan with DCT can certainly be quite tough. When I was searching around, I had to test drive the DCT on a coupe and convertible because I could never find a sedan with the transmission. In fact, it appeared that what I was looking for -- an E90 with 6MT -- was the "least desirable" and thus, easiest to find/get discounted.

Lastly, I thought I’d share my own “crazy salesmen comment” regarding the M3 sedan. Early in 2008, I accompanied my roommate to Irvine BMW. During his test drive of a 535, I expressed my interest in getting an M3 sedan and asked if he had any information I could review. His response, grunted through a huge scowl, "BMW should never had made an M3 sedan. It's outrageous. In fact, it’s people like you who. . . (murmuring).”

Good times.

OP, good luck with the search and congrats on the twins! You, more than anyone, are going to enjoy escaping the house for a drive in the M now and then. 
      04-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #17
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

I bought mine in Palm Springs, and they had (and still do) a great selection of E90, E92, and E93's. It was a tough choice, but I went with the E90.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
GS997S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 997S

The coupes and cabs are more popular, but the sales guy was also trying to sell you what he had on the lot. If he doesn't have a sedan, he can't sell you one, so he tries to convince you that you don't want the sedan. He is correct that the coupes sell better, but I think there is some salesmanship going on also.

I know the M3 is a completely different car than a 5 series, but if I needed a 4 door, I would get a 535 or 550 over the 4 door M3. I just don't like the looks of the 4 door M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

could have gotten the coupe...

Of course there is NO right or wrong here-oh sweet irony- my family is finaly grown up enough so I do not need 4 doors or 5 seats for the first time in 2 decades and I fall in love with the M3 (waiting for a ship-AW/bamboo/carbon leather/premium sound/ipod/heated seats/park dis/premium/tech/DCT) and I CHOOSE the four door !

Why? To me the reasons to go for a coupe are performance and looks, for which one pays a premium. There is no performance edge in this case and to me the sedan looks a little nicer- and it is 2 thousand cheaper( with sunroof figured in).

I think the"coolness" factor is the issue and although I totally respect anyone who wants the convertible does'nt 400 extra pounds run counter to the M ideal far more than 2 extra doors that don't increase lap times or decrease driving pleasure?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS997S View Post
The coupes and cabs are more popular, but the sales guy was also trying to sell you what he had on the lot. If he doesn't have a sedan, he can't sell you one, so he tries to convince you that you don't want the sedan. He is correct that the coupes sell better, but I think there is some salesmanship going on also.
I agree. The sales person was telling you. Fact, but the real reason was because he wanted to the tail lights of you driving away with your new M and not the back of your head when you were leaving without a purchase.
      04-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Thanks guys.

I love the sedan, but I think the coupe has better lines, plus when you think M3/Sportscar you think coupe.

I had an S4 (no comparison I know) and I like the stealthiness to it, plus the practicality of 4 doors, and the power. Truth be told if my wife was only having 1 child I’d go for the coupe, but the sedan is a good alternative.

I definitely don’t see as many Sedans on the road here in LA, but it seems like half if not more of the posters here are sedan owners….?
I have a sedan and love it (previous car was a Dinan S2 335 Coupe). Hate to be boring practical guy here but take a couple car seats into the dealer and throw them in the back of any e90 to see how they fit before you drop the cash.

I have 3 kids and when we had rear facing car seats getting the kids in the back (only 2 of them at the time) was a cluster f. Granted at the time it was an e46 but it is really tight back there. Once you get through the rear facing seat stage its all good if you don't mind footprints all over the seatbacks.

Now that all of my kids are out of car seats (one is in a booster) I can get all three back there. In the coupe that wasn't an option. 4 seats that's it.
      04-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #22
12:03
full collapse on impact
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
E36 M3 sedans didnt sell as many as the coupes either. But its a nice treat when I actually see one on the road.

Hopefully that happens with the E90 as well.
I owned 2 E36 M3 coupes, and one Sedan. The sedan was awesome, though I preferred the coupe. Im not making any sense because now I am looking at sedans again...

I actually prefer the lines of the sedan over the coupe lines on the E9X
Appreciate 0