BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

02-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Got my mk2 GT3, sold the GTR still have the E92 M3 and Evo 9 MR. Here's my take.

The pricing was finally right so I picked up my 2010 GT3 from Schneider Nelson in Jersey. Ed is the man by the way. White with sport buckets, dynamic engine mounts and nav, sound chrno. Here's my 2 cents.

First off, of all my cars, the GTR is the fastest of the group. I don't care what anyone says about the GT3, the GTR is faster. I immediately found out when I took my first drive off the lot in the GT3. I stalled. hehe. That clutch is heavy . All kidding aside, in the GT3 I had the sense that I was in a go kart. Not just in steering and handling but I was aware that the engine was in the back, rear wheel drive and no weight in the front. For those who go kart, it's that immediate sense that you want to go fast to catch the guy in front but know that you'll spin out if you mash the gas in a turn. So every action I take is premeditated. Especially downshifting, entering a turn, etc. It's basicly what makes the GT3 so much fun.

My e92 is also a manual so the shifts are very long and loose compared to the GT3. The clutch pedal is also very soft in the M3 which I think is great since it's m daily driver. Someone said it best describing stepping on the M3 clutch was like stepping into whipped cream Steering on the M is a bit over assisted and though it feels nice, the steering wheel feels like I'm using a bagel to steer the car. To be honest the GT3 and M3 aren't cars that people cross shop so comparing them doesn't make too much sense. They are just too different beasts. You would think because it's an M it might be comparable but we all know the current M3 is a bit too soft, cushy and no longer the raw car it used to be.

Is the GT3 a daily driver? With the regular seats, maybe. The buckets, no. Getting in and out can be a pain when you slam your thigh into sidewall of the rigid bucket seat. The ride is perfect for a sports car though. Stiff but not harsh and definately no bite. The softer regular seats will add enough cushion to be able to drive in NYC.

I have taken the M to Monticello for a trackday and though it was fun, I don't think I'll be doing anymore trackdays with it. It was quick and I was able to pass a few 911's and a bunch of others but it wasn't thrilling.

Now before everyone thinks I don't like my M, I'd like to say that it is the best money I've ever spent. Will I get another? Is it one of my favorites and do I think it's great? Yes, yes and hell's yes. It does it all. While the GTR is now sold, the GT3 in the garage and the Evo sitting around waiting for snow, the M3 is with me when I go out, do road trips, run errands, drive to work, and when I do a trackday here and there.

Ok here are my preferences. If not listed, They stay home.

Tight Twisty two lane Road:

Evo. No other.

Twisty road:
1st: GT3
2nd: Evo
3rd: GTR

Wide open road:

Tie GTR GT3

Race track for laptimes and bullying:

GTR

Race track for fun:

1st: GT3,
2nd:M3

Going out to the city with friends:

M3 Chicks just love this car.

Snow/Ski trips:

Evo

Steering handling shifting

1st: GT3
2nd: Evo. A very close second
Tie: GTR's steering and handling better but I can shift the M3.

Here she is

The M and Godzilla

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Cool, thanks for sharing and please post more pics.
      02-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

I must congratulate you!!...not just because I thought your post was very good, giving your opinion and ratings, but also because you own/owned 4 cars which are within my top 5 list
Unfortunately I don't own them all, but if all goes well planning on getting Evo9 pretty soon

enjoy the rides
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

sweet rides!
      02-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

nice choice of rides you got there
next up for me is a gt3 as well.. only time will tell when it'll happen lol
      02-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Congratulations, and thanks for the review!

I too was thinking about an Evo... but next up I have to get some sort of convertible. Wife's needs must...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Great info and you are a lucky man but why would you want to get rid of the GTR? Seems like it was a better all rounder than the GT3 from your description. I love the GT3's but they are a lot more expensive at 112k+ unless you get it used.
      02-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
Great info and you are a lucky man but why would you want to get rid of the GTR? Seems like it was a better all rounder than the GT3 from your description. I love the GT3's but they are a lot more expensive at 112k+ unless you get it used.
Yeah, the GT3 was expensive although their discounting them by 5-6% and not charging gas guzzler and delivery taxes and fees. Still, it's not a car where you can factor in price/performance because, like most others, the GT3 loses out to the GTR. It was the combination of emotional/fun/feel/thrilling drive that eventually got to me.

The GTR was fun but it was just way too stiff to use daily. The ride was harsh with a bite that was just a bit too much for me especially in NYC. When the road cleared and you have a passenger, mashing the gas and hearing all the expletives come out is fun but for me, I just needed more involvement. I'm not a DSG, MDCT, PDK guy. The GTR was also very big. I live near the NY/CT border and have access to plenty of tight and twisty roads but the car was just too big to have fun. Most of the fun came from punching the throttle and being IN a GTR. The rest was kind of dull. So in the end, I didn't commute in it and I didn't take it out for joy rides. I have my beautiful AW M3 as my going out/commuter car so I decided to just let her go and find my fun car, the GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

GT3 all the way! congrats, love white gt3s especially!
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Wow I didnt think the GTR had such a rough ride and had adjustable suspension. I know 911 have some harsh rides as well so the GTR must be really bad. Great choices in cars though. GT3's are fantastic and I see a few here and there in socal
If I could I would get teh GT3-RS for the fun car jus because it comes with its own scaffolding in the back in case you have a painting project going on...or is that for the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Yeah, the GT3 was expensive although their discounting them by 5-6% and not charging gas guzzler and delivery taxes and fees. Still, it's not a car where you can factor in price/performance because, like most others, the GT3 loses out to the GTR. It was the combination of emotional/fun/feel/thrilling drive that eventually got to me.

The GTR was fun but it was just way too stiff to use daily. The ride was harsh with a bite that was just a bit too much for me especially in NYC. When the road cleared and you have a passenger, mashing the gas and hearing all the expletives come out is fun but for me, I just needed more involvement. I'm not a DSG, MDCT, PDK guy. The GTR was also very big. I live near the NY/CT border and have access to plenty of tight and twisty roads but the car was just too big to have fun. Most of the fun came from punching the throttle and being IN a GTR. The rest was kind of dull. So in the end, I didn't commute in it and I didn't take it out for joy rides. I have my beautiful AW M3 as my going out/commuter car so I decided to just let her go and find my fun car, the GT3
      02-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

I am curious, is your Evo modded? if so, how does it compare to the gtr in the overall perfomance?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Love the white GT3.

Love the e92 M3 you have, especially with the 18's.

Love the Evo IX MR, especially since I used to have one.

Love that GTR, and wished you could've kept it while still adding the GT3.

Overall, you have awesome taste in cars man.

I can relate to you, and I hope I can start a small collection of dream cars like you!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot------EXCELLENT REVIEW!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Man I want my gt3 or an rs. I've wanted to just go and buy it.
First time around only thing stopping me
was the waiting list the dealer had.
But I feel I'll have a little kore fun with other cars first. I feel like I'm too young to be driving pcars
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Awesome write-up, and congrats on the GT3!
      02-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Nice review! You didn't enjoy launching godzilla? It did not have adjustable suspension for more comfortable ride?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #16
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

True car enthusiast.. Great to see the evo can hang with the big boys. I'm thinking of picking one up in a year or two. nice write up

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
True car enthusiast.. Great to see the evo can hang with the big boys. I'm thinking of picking one up in a year or two. nice write up
I used to work at a performance shop that specialized in Evo's, those things are no joke.
      02-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #18
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

Damn nice cars and taste
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #19
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congratulations on the GT3! Totally different animal than the M3. Clutch on the GT3 is more positive though. The gear change is exact and rifle-bolt like. Wish the M3 is the same but like you, my M3 is a daily so I appreciate the buttery smooth clutch and the light-effort gear change.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #20
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i am so jealous. gt3, gtr, m3. all my favorites. can i be you for a day.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep

The GTR does have EDC but the comfort mode was hardly that. The suspension was already hard then you add 20's with run flats, you're gonna have a rough ride. It's harsher than the MR and the GT3. For me that's just too harsh. As Automobile magazine put it. There's way too much R and not enough GT. I never got to "launch" my car. I was following the break in and also didn't want to have to worry about the transmission down the road. Why people were launching it, I will never understand. In R mode, the standard "safe" launch was crazy enough.

Aside from a small Ralliart decal, my Evo isn't modded . It's becoming such a rare sight to see an Evo's engine bay with a standard air filter box. It's quick but definately needs more punch that a downpipe intake and tune would fix but I love her the way she is As you previous Evo owners know, steering, shifting and heel toe driving is a dream in that car. The GTR rev matches for you, and the GT3's brake pedal is even higher than the M3's for heel toe on the road . I'd have to be on a track and be mashing the brake pedal to be able to do so.

The RS would have been a great but there no more allocations. There aren't even any more std GT3 allocations. The only way would be to wait until the car arrives and the buyer backout. Which is what my GT3 was. By then you'd have to wait another year or so before they would even discount it.

If I had a spare set of snow tires, the M3 can do most of what the others can do and look good doing it. But you guys already figured that out.

Last edited by s4awd; 02-11-2010 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #22
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
The sad truth is that the only way Nissan could hide the weight of the GTR and still make it a world class performer was to stiffen the suspension to the point where most people would not be able to fully enjoy it as a DD. The very fact that you rate the EVO and GT3 as perfectly acceptional just show how hard the GTR is.
Appreciate 0