BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Question for tire experts (not really BMW or M3 related)

Good morning folks,

I had a conversation with a friend last night after dinner regarding to tire pressure issue because I brought up that about driving my car out of its winter storage and figured the tire pressure was a bit too high on almost 4 corners. This was how I fix it, I went to a gas station with air pump, loose air of a tire then inflate it to the suggested tire pressure as instructed in the owner's manual. I repeated the same procedures for all 4 corners. The tire pressure now seems okay on all of them.

My friend, however, thought it was a mistake because I should have waited for the car and tires to cool down completely before I proceed to adjust the tire pressure. He ran a quick search on his phone and he was right that most sources indicate only doing so when the car is cold or sitting overnight.

How can I have done the pressure adjustment if I don't have a proper tool to use at home? Was the way I corrected mine be okay?

Would appreciate your inputs and suggestions.

PY
      02-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

You really should get a good tire pressure gauge and check at home occasionally but overall I don't think you did anything wrong. It depends on the ambient air temp and how far away your gas station was. You generally would want to check and adjust tire pressures on cold tires. Just follow up with pressure checks when cold.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

As suggested above, get a good tire gauge. I also have a pump that I bought at Sears for 30 bucks and adjust the pressure accordingly. From summer to winter, the tire pressure will change 5-10 lbs, so significant.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks fellows,

I do have a digital gauge which I bought last summer, but the pump I had at home is not so great to use. I usually go to gas station near by to pump up my tires, but those guys are now asking $0.50 - $1.00 per use and it's also timed (2-3 mins per use). I will look for a good pump then.
      02-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

the only ill that will come of this is that they end up a little on the low side because the are already warm. if you are worried about it go a few pounds up and when the car has sat overnight at home adjust them by letting some out to make them even at a cold setting.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
Good morning folks,

I had a conversation with a friend last night after dinner regarding to tire pressure issue because I brought up that about driving my car out of its winter storage and figured the tire pressure was a bit too high on almost 4 corners. This was how I fix it, I went to a gas station with air pump, loose air of a tire then inflate it to the suggested tire pressure as instructed in the owner's manual. I repeated the same procedures for all 4 corners. The tire pressure now seems okay on all of them.

My friend, however, thought it was a mistake because I should have waited for the car and tires to cool down completely before I proceed to adjust the tire pressure. He ran a quick search on his phone and he was right that most sources indicate only doing so when the car is cold or sitting overnight.

How can I have done the pressure adjustment if I don't have a proper tool to use at home? Was the way I corrected mine be okay?

Would appreciate your inputs and suggestions.

PY
Just buy an air compressor to use at home - check and fill the tires in the morning. They are cheap and there are a million uses for them - I've never regretted getting one.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

A decent tire gauge from any auto store will do the trick..drive the car after its sat overnight..right to an air pump..you should adjust pressure when the tires are cold.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the replies again guys, this truly is one of the best online community.

I am in the middle of buying/selling old/new home process, getting a suitable home use air compressor is one of the things I will definitely do once we are all settled done. There are some plans for building a garage to my preference, but still need to find out how much the cost really will be.

I am using the little inflator that came with my 08 M3 (sold) and I found that device heats up so quickly that I am a bit hesitate to use it after running a few minutes.
      02-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

^ just go to Cdn Tire and buy a portable air compressor when it goes on sale. $10 or so will get you a decent one.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Ideally, tires must be cold to check the pressure.
Appreciate 0