BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Question for those that switched from Conti to Michelin's

Morning gents since the advice on here is always so good, I thought I'd ask a quick question Just finally hit 15K miles and needed all four new tires (I had gone through two sets of rears to one front) Instead of giong with the crappy (IMHO) conti3's, I switched out to the PS2's. Spendy, but heard great things about them (could not find the super sports in my OEM size)

Anyway, while I know I need to give them 2-300 miles to break-n and wear out the slick coating that comes on new tires, did anyone experience a need to alter their "preferred" cold tires pressures for the switch in tire? Mine is a E93, and I was running stock 36F/38R, and it felt nicely balanced as a DD (albeit aggressive daily driver, no tracking of the car). I also have the Dinan Stage 2 suspension on the car, and when I called them yesterday, they indicated they liked 35F/35R.

So, was curious from those in the know. I had read that the michelin's were suppsedly softer sidewalls than the conti;s (which I would find hard to believe), which i guess would argue for a "boost" in the tire pressures.

Confused

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Yes, the sidewalls are softer in the PS2, compared to the Conti. I recently bought a set of the PSS, and I believe it might have a bit firmer sidewall than the PS2. Actually, I like the Conti3, but the PS2 will ride better and is superior in wet conditions. I’ve always had good luck running most street tires around 38 front and rear, at operating temperature, so 35 or so sounds about right as a starting point, if measured cold.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Sounds good...I'll adjust pressures tonight and see if the ride / handling is satisfactory I am surprised about the Conti's being a firmer sidewall...but oh well I went through the rears in ~ 8K miles I got more wear out of my rears on my 2008 911 go figure

Thanks
Appreciate 0