BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #23
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Judging only by your question, I'm assuming this is your first time to the track. That said, you don't need to do anything to the car, just bring or rent a helmet, keep an open mind and leave your ego at home.

Just make sure that your car is in proper working order, you may need a tech inspection prior to the event, so read the track event organizer's info to verify.

Brake pads, fluid, lines, tires, etc. are in your future if you decide to continue on.
this is correct, first time. i have a helmet (from the PC).

now then, where to fidn the best site for track events?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

I'm on the west coast, so perhaps someone on your side can direct you to some events. BMWCCA is a great place to start. They have good instruction and run a safe event, particularly for those just starting out. Good luck, it's a lot of fun!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
this is correct, first time. i have a helmet (from the PC).

now then, where to fidn the best site for track events?
ON east coast, try www.motorsportreg.com, go to calendar, enter your zip code, desired distance ( start with 300 miles), and type of event ( driver school) and it will give you most events in your area.

I suggest a BMW CCA event as I think those have the best driver instruction for beginners.

I would start with 32psi on your tires cold ( they will gain 6 to 12 psi when hot depending upon how you drive).
Most street tires will work best between 36 to 42 hot. I would target 38 hot until you see how much they roll over ( or not) at a given air pressure. Have your instructor look at your tires after the first session to get his suggestions on pressure changes....

Last edited by arter; 06-21-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Anyone who is new at the track and is complaining of understeer and destroying tires is not talking about understeer in the sense of suspension and balance. This is related to overdriving and asking too much of the front tires.

Tire pressures won't fix this...slowing down and being smoother is the only way. Adding extra pressure to fix this is decreasing traction which, if not corrected, exacerbates the problem.

I recommend starting at 35psi if temps are below 70. Less if it's hotter. I also like to target about 38/39 psi.

OP- just change your brake fluid and start with at least 50% tires and brakes.

Check Patroon, Boston, DelVal, or NJ chapter for HPDE events.
      06-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

This has been very helpful, thanks so much guys
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #28
TX335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
Actually I'm not sure why nobody mentioned this but you should pump the tires up to about 3 pounds under maximum (47 lbs if I recall correctly) unless you want to roll around on the tread corners and chunk your tires. Standard pressure simply isn't enough once you push the car in the corners. After your track session let several pounds of air out (~ 5) since they air will be heated/rarefied and you'll have elevated pressures that will promote premature wearing of the center of the tire with normal street use.

Enjoy!
No one has mentioned this because it is horrible advice, especially if it is warm outside.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #29
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

I would recommend higher temp front brakes pads even for beginners. Just because you aren't experienced doesn't mean you won't hit 110mph on a straight.

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #30
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merked M3 View Post
I would recommend higher temp front brakes pads even for beginners. Just because you aren't experienced doesn't mean you won't hit 110mph on a straight.
I hit 110mph on the way to work -
Appreciate 0