BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #45
NasHH
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasHH View Post
If DCT drivers are claiming were dumb because it's faster, can I also claim that everyone with an m3 is dumb because they could of gotten a faster car with less money? I got my over payed car because I LOVE m3's, I also got my MT because I love shifting gears, and heel toeing.

Even when I was asking my bmw mechanic if I should get extended warranty, first thing he asked was if my car was an auto or MT. He fixes so many DCT issues in the long run.
Yes, but you have a convertible M3, so that really doesn't count.
Did that because I modded my e46 so much, I didn't want to do the same with my new car. The e93 actually stops me from fixing it up and adding a super charger like I did in my e46.
      09-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #46
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Even a tech can the tech cant drive stick ?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #47
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
I can think of one whose surpasses all DCT owners

On ever thread complaining that this topic is a repost yet can't wait to add his half cent.
That would be me.
However, I think the most arrogant and sarcastic poster on the forum (you) wouldn't go around judging others. Especially since your mommy and daddy bought your car...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #48
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Dude chill out with your insecurities. It's all in good fun. No one cares if the DCT is marginally faster than the MT (except you obviously). Seems like you litter all of these threads with your "DCT is faster than MT" comments.
Chill out? What?
I'm chilled bro....what cant handle another opinion? Its all in fun.
I started on this thread 6 months ago and all I read was MT guys crapping on DCT guys, so now I debate it and I need to chill out?

More like you need to chill out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
Im actually glad DCT's are killing off Manual transmissions. Manual purists are often the most obnoxious car guys I meet, I get crap every week for choosing the 7 speed on my 335is and it gets old quick. If you want an outdated technology on a cutting edge car, that is your business and problem.
Most DCT guys I talk to are simply sick of the MT guys stating all the time that they drive automatics just like him ^^^. MT M3 drivers are the arrogant ones, however I guess they can dish out the abuse but cant take it...Im just having fun guys, but it sounds like everyone is getting butt hurt...like babies. LOL

Last edited by Cool Steel; 09-17-2013 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #49
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I need to chill out? I have never gone around calling people idiots....
I state my opinion, I don't call people names like a 10 year old.......
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #50
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No. Not like, I am 10 years old. As you aptly pointed out mommy and daddy bought my car.

Oh, I get it, so your saying calling me an idiot for no reason, and out of right field, does not warrant any response from me? Was I arguing specifically with you? Did I call you a name before you called me an idiot?...NO I did not. In fact you showed up in the thread read my comment to someone else and called me an idiot for no reason. This is fact, everyone can go back and look...

On top of that, my reply to you was based on what you stated yourself in the Poll thread..you stated that your parents bought your car. Right?
I was simply pointing it out since you called me an idiot for NO REASON. Also , calling someone an idiot for no reason, is just like a 10 year old, so again this is fact - not slander.

Calling someone an idiot because their opinion is not like yours is uncool. I suppose you think all DCT drivers are idiots then? I surely don't think that about MT drivers, in fact I agree on some arguments they have. I have never called an MT driver an idiot either.

..Uncool all the way. I think we know who should chill out.

Last edited by Cool Steel; 09-17-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #51
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

I am thankful that BMW makes both options for the M3.

I happen to have a 6MT as that is what i have always had in my sports cars. I find it a challenge every time i drive to match the revs for a perfect heel/toe downshift. Every power start off the line is a test to see if i can get the right combination of revs and clutch slip to leave the line in a flash without wheel spin.

With that in mind, the M3 DTC is an engineering marvel. Yes, i did take a DTC home overnight for an extended test before i purchased and the transmission made me feel like an F1 driver on every shift.

However it is like rock vs techno music for me. The 6MT is like Jack White (The White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather) playing electric guitar. He is working it all of the time and although it is never perfect; it is full of emotion and it sounds great. The DCT is pre-programmed to do everything perfect; just like club music and it sounds awesome every time.

Lets be real 0-60 times +/- 0.3 seconds don't really matter. It is the emotion associated with trying to achieve a perfect shift OR achieving one every time without fault … take your pick … but for my perspective check out this clip of JW working his guitar at the 2:21 mark. As Jack says in interviews all of the time, "I have to fight my guitar for every note".

Enjoy the journey!

Last edited by scrammer; 09-17-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #52
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Cool video, love the analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post

I happen to have a 6MT as that is what i have always had in my sports cars. I find it a challenge every time i drive to match the revs for a perfect heel/toe downshift. Every power start off the line is a test to see if i can get the right combination of revs and clutch slip to leave the line in a flash without wheel spin.

With that in mind, the M3 DTC is an engineering marvel. Yes, i did take a DTC home overnight for an extended test before i purchased and the transmission made me feel like an F1 driver on every shift.

However it is like rock vs techno music for me. The 6MT is like Jack White (The White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather) playing electric guitar. He is working it all of the time and although it is never perfect; it is full of emotion and it sounds great. The DCT is pre-programmed to do everything perfect; just like club music and it sounds awesome every time.

Lets be real 0-60 times +/- 0.3 seconds don't really matter. It is the emotion associated with trying to achieve a perfect shift OR achieving one every time without fault … take your pick … but for my perspective check out this clip of JW working his guitar at the 2:21 mark. As Jack says in interviews all of the time, "I have to fight my guitar for every note".

Enjoy the journey!

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #53
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Lets be real 0-60 times +/- 0.3 seconds don't really matter.
Dont tell that to Cool Steel!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #54
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Sorry folks. I had no idea my OP would evoke such emotion from forum members. Lets just all agree that we drive a superior vehicle. AAAAAAloha!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #55
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Dont tell that to Cool Steel!
The man does take DCT very seriously.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #56
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
I think all DCT drivers were bed wetters as well.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #57
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Enjoy the journey!

I love this group and this song so I agree with everything you said. I never cared about +/-.03 seconds. It was simply my only ammunition against the DCT haters I have experienced since day 1 on this forum.. Every car I drove before this one was manual, so I will agree... I miss the shift sometimes. There, I said it...MT is a little bit, more fun to drive...except in traffic of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #58
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I just don't understand why would anyone buy a so-called "driver's car" like an M3 or even worse, the new 911 GT3, and get it with an automatic gearbox (double clutch or not, it still is an automatic at the end of the day); unless you really drive a lot in heavy stop and go traffic, or you have a physical disability preventing you from operating a clutch. Those arguments that it is a fraction of a second faster just don't make sense, unless you are Vettel fighting for the F1 championship. If you really care so much about 1/4 mile or lap times, you bought the wrong car. A stock M3, regardless of gearbox, is by no means a "fast" car by modern standards. Even a Mustang GT for 1/2 the price is just as fast in the straights and the corners too. The M3 is good because of its all around usability and practicality matched with good performance, comfort, and luxury. If you really care about being the fastest at the strip or the track, then for almost the same price you should be driving a GT-R instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #59
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
I love this group and this song so I agree with everything you said. I never cared about +/-.03 seconds. It was simply my only ammunition against the DCT haters I have experienced since day 1 on this forum.. Every car I drove before this one was manual, so I will agree... I miss the shift sometimes. There, I said it...MT is a little bit, more fun to drive...except in traffic of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #60
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Cool Steel
You need to chill out with your insecurities, that's true based on your interventions on several threads you've posted on. MT or DCT are both M3's. Just like sedan, convertible and the coupe or ZCP or no ZCP, etc. There are unspoken decency rules among owners, people have different expectation and buy what suits them. This particular topic has been hotly debated on the forum since 2007 before the car was even available and there is a fine line between passionately arguing advantages/disadvantages which in this case are subjective and making a donkey (to put it mildly) of yourself by posting juvenile type provocation. No need to call others for it if you've already gone low. having been on the forum since 2007 (several legs) I can suggest you with your relatively recent membership to avoid this type of attitude and to grow up and I mean it for ur sake too.

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 09-20-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #61
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
Why bother to learn MT?

It's like asking a kid these days to use a typewriter instead of
an iPad

Former: 2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #62
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
If you can't drive a manual transmission, you shouldn't have a license. Cracks me up every time I hear when guys can't drive a stick shift. lol
I didn't learn how to drive a stick till.... 8 years after I got my license.....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #63
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Why are SOME DCT owners so obnoxious ? You can read those DCT vs. MT threads and it is always that way. I took plenty of time to decide what car I wanted to buy and testdrove both transmissions. There was not the slightest doubt in my mind that I wanted a MT and I am glad I made the right decision. Heck I would have paid more if necessary to get the MT and not the DCT.

As BMW says it has no intention of yanking the MT from the M3/M4 models, if so that means the MT will be available to US M3 customers after BMW replaces DCT with a single clutch with greater number of gear capacity (i.e. 8 or more) tranny. Expect the change folks. It will happen.
      09-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #64
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Why are SOME DCT owners so obnoxious ? You can read those DCT vs. MT threads and it is always that way. I took plenty of time to decide what car I wanted to buy and testdrove both transmissions. There was not the slightest doubt in my mind that I wanted a MT and I am glad I made the right decision. Heck I would have paid more if necessary to get the MT and not the DCT.

As BMW says it has no intention of yanking the MT from the M3/M4 models, if so that means the MT will be available to US M3 customers after BMW replaces DCT with a single clutch with greater number of gear capacity (i.e. 8 or more) tranny. Expect the change folks. It will happen.
And when it does, the used market for the M3 will change. 6MT's will command a premium because A) 6MT M3 is rarer, less production, and timeless. B) E9X DCT is "outdated" compared to the new tranny.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #65
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
And when it does, the used market for the M3 will change. 6MT's will command a premium because A) 6MT M3 is rarer, less production, and timeless. B) E9X DCT is "outdated" compared to the new tranny.
Why did you have to say that? That might upset a number of people.