BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-07-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a set of wheels, waiting for them to be produced and shipped over..I wanted to see what tire sizes you guys suggest I get once the wheels arrive.

wheel sizes are
front: 20x9.5 with 3' lip
rear: 20x10.5 with 5' lip

for now I thought of getting 255/30/20 front and 295/25/20 back

do you guys know if it will rub with this setup or should I go with some other tire sizes?? I'm aware that wearing 20' wheels is slightly pushing it but I've read that people had no rubbing issues with the right tire combination

which tires do you guys prefer:

yokohama advan sport
michelin pilot sport ps2
hankook ventus v12 evo
continental sport contact 3

btw, I'm planning on lowering the car in the future with kwv3

thanks!!!

Last edited by ///FCB; 11-07-2009 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
You will be fine!

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
getlucky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan

That is the size I have on my car. No rubbing at all
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FCB View Post
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a set of wheels, waiting for them to be produced and shipped over..I wanted to see what tire sizes you guys suggest I get once the wheels arrive.

wheel sizes are
front: 20x9.5 with 3' lip
rear: 20x11 with 5' lip

for now I thought of getting 255/30/20 front and 295/25/20 back

do you guys know if it will rub with this setup or should I go with some other tire sizes?? I'm aware that wearing 20' wheels is slightly pushing it but I've read that people had no rubbing issues with the right tire combination

btw, I'm planning on lowering the car in the future with kwv3

thanks!!!
You are asking us to answer an impossible question...

You must know the offset values to be absolutely sure they won't rub.

Please don't tell me you accepted their BS "we don't disclose our offsets, but we promise it will fit" crap?

That's the multi-piece wheel businesses standard operating procedure. They BS their customers into believing that it's not important for them to know this crucial wheel specification, when nothing could be further from the truth. It is absolutely essential that you know the EXACT wheel offset values, in order to make smart decisions going forward.

The offset value will dictate what you can or cannot do with all the other inter-connected mods that are directed related to the wheels on your car.

Plus, you have to select 255/30/20 tires that will fit on the front axle without rubbing. That is a very short list...

Did the wheel company happen to mention that?

Here is why it's so important to know this stuff UPFRONT...

Not knowing the offset values will hinder your ability to select certain tire size options (or certain brands within those tire sizes), limit or eliminate any chances of upgrading the OE brakes to a BBK (since you may not have the proper brake caliper clearance), and finally the offsets play a key role in determining whether or not you can lower the car on springs or purchase a coilover kit. The adjustments to your suspension geometry, will be largely dictated by where your wheel and tire combo sits within the wheel well. (relative to your outer fender-to-wheel/tire clearance and your inner strut-to-wheel/tire clearance)

You may be forced to make drastic caster, negative camber, and toe settings to your suspension, in order to make everything work. (without having any issues)

Why?

Because the overwhelming majority of multi piece wheel manufacturers do not have the experience or knowledge to factor in such complex mitigating factors.

You may have to buy camber plates ($$$) just to make everything work together in harmony. (without any rubbing issues)

This breaks one of my cardinal rules for wheel and tire fitments...

Rule #1: The aftermarket wheels in question should fit the car, WITHOUT having to make ANY suspension and/or body modifications. Period.

Having to alter your car to make a set of wheels fit properly...is a sure sign that they were never sized correctly in the first place.

Spacers and hubcentric rings are one thing, but having to realign your suspension, and/or having to roll your fenders in order to squeeze in set of huge wheels (with offsets that were never correct to begin with) is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, this happens a lot more often than it should...

I can tell you from experience, that less than 10% of the multi-piece wheel companies have an engineer ON STAFF. (who actually factors in these things into their wheel fitments for any particular car)

The number of possible scenarios is staggering to say the least, and I promise you that many of these wheel companies DO NOT HAVE A CLUE as to what will or won't rub when you factor in a number of other related parts. Many times, their offset values might prevent (restrict) you from doing other things in the future. Your options may be severely limited going forward.

This is why the CUSTOMER should always know the offsets of their wheels. They can use this wheel fitment info to make better informed decisions down the road.

Get the company to give up the damn offsets, so we can help you determine what your real options are.

BTW: What brand and style of wheel did you purchase?

Last edited by Lemans_Blue_M; 11-07-2009 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlucky View Post
That is the size I have on my car. No rubbing at all
That's because you used TOYO tires.
      11-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

thanks for the responses guys!

Lemans_Blue_M, there's a lot of interesting information you posted there.
When ordering the wheels I have been informed that future upgrades such as BBK would be an issue with certain types of setups but I don't plan on upgrading the M brakes. I do not know the offset however, I simply ordered a 3' and 5' lip with 9.5 and 10.5 width.

I had doubts between HRE790R, Work VSXX or K8.2. Went with the Klassen in the end, I really like them, but another main reason was because there is a much higher probability I'll find someone here with HRE's, Work's, BBS's etc...the Klassen are completely unknown in Spain (probably even in all of Europe)
Appreciate 0