BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Bikerjoy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Scratched tint!?

When going over my car this weekend I found some pretty deep scratches in the tint on all four side windows that have come when rolling the windows up and down. Tint was installed before purchase by the dealer using a Tinting company. I keep the interior impeccably clean so there is no way they can claim negligence as far as dirt goes.

Went to the dealer asking to get it corrected, dealer said, "Take it to the tinter, they will take care of you". The tinter basically told me that they had seen 3-series with this problem before, blaming the car that the rubber "seal" is too tight, and all they could do for me was to strip the tint out but not install new. They use a product from "Global". I agree with them that I see little point in just installing the same tint again, as I would likely have the same problem again.

Went back to the dealer, their reply was "We have have ONE other 3-series like that on-going right now". Were they were trying to replace the "seal", and have it re-tinted. They wanted to see the outcome of this before doing anything to my car. I think this is a reasonable approach, the only problem is that we will really not know the answer for a while.

I have had 4 cars before all with 3M tint installed had never had any problems with scratches. Basically what I want is for the dealer to step up and pay for new tint of my choosing (or at least refund what they charged for this tint). As I have never had any problems with 3M products, or heard any similar stories on this forum or from anyone I know, I have to think that this "Global Tint" simply is a cheapo product.

So basically I have a few questions to the M3 community.

1. Have any of you had the same problem?
2. If you have had no problems, please let me know the brand of your tint, and how you like it.
3. If you have had problems, please let me know that, and how it was handled.

Thanks
      06-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
tunawi7cheese
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Power by dead dinosaurs

Wow, good post. I have the same problems on my E90 M . I have to check what brand tint was used. No fix for it yet.

Subscribed!

Melborne Red 08' E90 M3 6spd
Hockenheim Silver 20' F87 M2 CS MDCT
White 21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
caveboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 6MT Jerez Black M3 E90

Same issue here on my E90 but on driver side front window on ly
      06-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Swinn
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3, 2016 X5M

Mine does it too. Front windows on my E90. Need to call my tint person and see if there is any resolution.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Crap. I was about to make a call to get my car tinted; it's almost a necessity here in hot TX. But don't want to deal with scratched tint, even though I don't lower my windows too often.

So what's your recommendation folks??? Just tint the fixed windows (rear 3 windows) with 35% so car doesn't look too weird (it'd still look better than factory SUVs with dark tint behind front doors) or nothing at all? Comments welcome. Glad I read this thread .
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I went to the only formula one tint shop here to get an estimate and check out the shop. They initially quoted me one price then after talking to them for a little while they told me that i needed to pay $100 more on top of the $400 price to get what they call mole skins because the seals inside the doors will scratch the tint. Never had i heard of mole skins and ive never had any problems with tint scratching with any other vehicles that Ive owned including other bmw's. Anyways, i walked and will not go back because they were not upfront with me from the beginning, plus i thought they were full of shlt.

Maybe they were right though and the seals on some of our M's are causing this scratching? Anyways, keep us posted on what they find out.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Me too!
E90 hates tint but I love it.
My tuner offered to re-tint but I am waiting.
This sounds like it may become a minor recall.
Great Thread.

Last edited by Brianrg; 06-02-2009 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I have the same issue on all 4 windows. Aparently it is a common occurrence. I'll have to check out these "mole skins".
      06-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyatch View Post
I went to the only formula one tint shop here to get an estimate and check out the shop. They initially quoted me one price then after talking to them for a little while they told me that i needed to pay $100 more on top of the $400 price to get what they call mole skins because the seals inside the doors will scratch the tint. Never had i heard of mole skins and ive never had any problems with tint scratching with any other vehicles that Ive owned including other bmw's. Anyways, i walked and will not go back because they were not upfront with me from the beginning, plus i thought they were full of shlt.

Maybe they were right though and the seals on some of our M's are causing this scratching? Anyways, keep us posted on what they find out.
Weird. Dr. Scholl's and other companies make a Moleskin product (you use it to cover areas that are prone to blister on feet). It's a pretty good adhesive with what is basically a soft-felt covering. I could see how this would cushion the window's movement up and down but it seems pretty much like a bailing wire and duct tape answer rather than a real solution. And I'd wonder how long it would last in a car application with heat, moisture, etc. Moleskin on the feet is good for a few hours/hike/day at best.

I was going to get my tint done in a couple of weeks but if the result is going to be poor due to this issue I may reconsider. I don't think it's the tinter's fault if our cars are prone to scratch due to design...and I'd rather just avoid a "who to blame" situation and just wait for now. (But you'd think the tint experts would know as well.....) Anyway, it all just stinks, as it's getting toward 110 degree weather time here in Sacramento...ouch!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '72 2002 - '65 Impala

Garage List
all four of my windows are scratched. the only thing I hear about is people putting felt on the second seal and that seems to work. I need to get mine redone. good excuse to go darker.
      06-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

My front windows (both) are in their second tint film due to scratches cause by the seal. Already one of the films is again slightly scratched... my first car with tint film scratched by the seals in 25 years driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Okay folks, so no tint in my front windows for now. And yes, not the tinter's (or tint's) fault.

Now the question for us coupe owners living in hot weather: Do we tint the other 3 non-moving windows or not? Comments welcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Bikerjoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
It's interesting to hear that others are having similar problems, it seems to indicate that there truly is an issue with the seal, but it would still be interesting to know what brand of tint you all have. From what I have heard dealers tend to send their cars to the lowest possible bidder for tinting, have any of you guys with problems had this installed yourself or all done by the dealer?
      06-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjoy View Post
It's interesting to hear that others are having similar problems, it seems to indicate that there truly is an issue with the seal, but it would still be interesting to know what brand of tint you all have. From what I have heard dealers tend to send their cars to the lowest possible bidder for tinting, have any of you guys with problems had this installed yourself or all done by the dealer?
I have a problem with my car, too. I bought some moleskin from http://tintprotector.com/ and I will probably install it within the next few week sand post a DIY. My car went to one of the best tinters in SoCal for Huper Optik (Song's). Nothing they could really do to mess it up, it's a problem with the door design for sure. Huper is thicker film so it might be more prone to this than other films.
      06-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #15
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

Scratches on all 4 windows. 30% huper optik.

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
wheelman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 MT

I have the same problem. I had my first cheap tint job replaced with Huper Optik by Han at Song's after it showed immediate scratches. (Han does an amazing job BTW.) Now I'm afraid to roll my windows down all the way. Totally sucks. I asked Han about moleskin and he thought it the adhesive would fail in warm weather. I wish I knew of a solution.
      06-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Its because your installer didn't pull off the trim to trim off the rubber inside. That scratches the tint. E92s don't have this problem because it has felt where we have the rubber.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
Bikerjoy
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Trimming off the rubber hardly seems like a solution. It may fix the problem of the scratching but instead you might get increased noise, vibration, humidity and so on. That rubber seal is there for a reason.

I understand were a felt seal would help, but I would not accept simply cutting away pieces of the car as a fix from the dealer.
      06-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

So far badfish is the only one to mention the problem with an E92. Everyone else seems to have E90. I'd say E92 guys can go for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
So far badfish is the only one to mention the problem with an E92. Everyone else seems to have E90. I'd say E92 guys can go for it.
My old E92 had Formula One tint for a year and it was flawless on the day I traded her in.

The problem with the E90 like other people mentioned is that the inner rubber trim does not have felt overlying it, causing the tint film to scratch. The solution to that is to install moleskin or felt over the rubber seal to prevent the rubber from scratching.
      06-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #21
tunawi7cheese
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Power by dead dinosaurs

BMW NA are you listening to this? Us E90 owners are not happy!

Melborne Red 08' E90 M3 6spd
Hockenheim Silver 20' F87 M2 CS MDCT
White 21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #22
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

lol and I was blaming it on my tint guy, (who does use cheap tint) but I guess that wasnt the problem. He uses sun tek (ceramic) and does very good work but the tint isnt the greatest. Im gonna re-tint it with johnsons film tint (ceramic) and try the felt tape on the seals.