BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

05-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
blueman2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

BMW Mountain View, California

Just took my M3 in for 1200 mile first service. Wow, I have never had such a negative experience in terms of customer service and general atmosphere.

First, I want to say that my Service Consultant, Sam, was just fine. Great guy. But everything else about the experience was horrendous.

1) When I arrived, I got out of my car to the sound of two employees literally yelling at each other about who was a fault about some customer complaint. It was embarrassing. Felt really weird.

2) Then the next thing I heard was 2 customers losing their tempers at some employee because they both had been waiting over 30 minutes for their service appointments. Both were asking why they made appointments if they are not able to keep the times.

3) After handing my car over to the service consultant, I was led to the area for shuttle service back to my office. I made reservations 2 weeks ahead and included a note that I needed a shuttle. I waited 50 minutes!!!! Finally I complained enough and they got another employee to drive me the 4 miles to work. Heck, I should have walked!

4) While waiting my 50 minutes for the shuttle ride, I asked to have the BMW Assist transferred to my name as I had just bought the car from another individual (who had bought it from that dealership). The guy who helped me was extremely rude and scolded me several times for taking his time. I asked if this was something I can do myself, and he said no, the dealer must do it, but he said he was not making any money off of this.

5) When I came back to pick up my car, I had to wait about 20 minutes for them to bring my car around. I went to buy some car mats while waiting, and it was probably just as well that they took 20 minutes to get my car, because I waited 15 minutes for someone to help me and sell me the car mats.

Wow, I love my M3, but I really hate the dealer it came from. Anyone know of a decent BMW service provider in the south bay?

Last edited by blueman2; 05-23-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

I don't understand what has happened to customer service in this country. Honestly, its not that hard to do your damn job. Be polite, willing to help, and do everything you can to make the customer feel special. I haven't had to take my car in for any services yet, but I swear if I am treated the way you are, I would A) Never buy a car from that dealership again, B) Never visit them again for service. I can't believe that guy would say "im not making any money on this". If anyone said that to me my response would be, "You may not have made money on this, but now you will never make money on anything from me." I don't know why people don't understand repeat business is the key to success.

Sorry, I don't know what dealership to go to. I have heard good and bad things about BMW of SF, Stevens Creek BMW, etc. I need to get an oil change, but thats about it. I will probably just go to Dinan and pay for it, so I don't have to worry about the shanageans you just described, I hope.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
David@Sonic MS
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: MP4-12C

Go to Stevens creek BMW and talk to Aaron Ginn. He should take care of you.

David
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
blueman2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Thanks. I will give Stevens Creek a try at my next service.
      02-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
icantdrive
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Sorry to bump this, but I didn't want to make a new thread about this. Is it reasonable for this dealership to take 2 days to diagnosis a car? Both days they said it's taking longer than expected or the diagnosis machine is acting up. They let me know that I have a 75% percent of having them completing the diagnosis by tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive View Post
Sorry to bump this, but I didn't want to make a new thread about this. Is it reasonable for this dealership to take 2 days to diagnosis a car? Both days they said it's taking longer than expected or the diagnosis machine is acting up. They let me know that I have a 75% percent of having them completing the diagnosis by tomorrow.
The diagnosis itself takes no where near two days. The actual scan may take a few hours; a full reprogramming takes no more than a day.

Their service department may be backed up and aren't able to begin working on your vehicle, but the actual process should only take a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Use the service survey that you might get afterwards and click to be contacted by BMW NA and the dealer to raise the flags. If not, call the GM of the dealership and let him know your constructive criticisms. You seemed to be level headed about the whole situation (good for you!), but I would have flipped a lid somewhere after point 3 and probably would have left with my car to have it serviced elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
Just took my M3 in for 1200 mile first service. Wow, I have never had such a negative experience in terms of customer service and general atmosphere.

First, I want to say that my Service Consultant, Sam, was just fine. Great guy. But everything else about the experience was horrendous.

1) When I arrived, I got out of my car to the sound of two employees literally yelling at each other about who was a fault about some customer complaint. It was embarrassing. Felt really weird.

2) Then the next thing I heard was 2 customers losing their tempers at some employee because they both had been waiting over 30 minutes for their service appointments. Both were asking why they made appointments if they are not able to keep the times.

3) After handing my car over to the service consultant, I was led to the area for shuttle service back to my office. I made reservations 2 weeks ahead and included a note that I needed a shuttle. I waited 50 minutes!!!! Finally I complained enough and they got another employee to drive me the 4 miles to work. Heck, I should have walked!

4) While waiting my 50 minutes for the shuttle ride, I asked to have the BMW Assist transferred to my name as I had just bought the car from another individual (who had bought it from that dealership). The guy who helped me was extremely rude and scolded me several times for taking his time. I asked if this was something I can do myself, and he said no, the dealer must do it, but he said he was not making any money off of this.

5) When I came back to pick up my car, I had to wait about 20 minutes for them to bring my car around. I went to buy some car mats while waiting, and it was probably just as well that they took 20 minutes to get my car, because I waited 15 minutes for someone to help me and sell me the car mats.

Wow, I love my M3, but I really hate the dealer it came from. Anyone know of a decent BMW service provider in the south bay?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
icantdrive
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@McKennaPerformance View Post
The diagnosis itself takes no where near two days. The actual scan may take a few hours; a full reprogramming takes no more than a day.

Their service department may be backed up and aren't able to begin working on your vehicle, but the actual process should only take a few hours.
Thanks.

They should just let me know they are backed up and not give me some BS reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive View Post
Thanks.

They should just let me know they are backed up and not give me some BS reason.
+1 sir!

It's always essential to be upfront and honest with the customer. Sometimes, our service center gets crazy busy. But we just tell the client that we won't be able to get to their vehicle for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Sonic MS View Post
Go to Stevens creek BMW and talk to Aaron Ginn. He should take care of you.

David
+1

you should go to Steven Creek BMW to service your car, you can talk to Steve also upfront and honest guy been helping me for over 4yrs now.
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #11
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Some dealers are all about numbers. That's why I like Steve Thomas; small acquainted dealer.
Appreciate 0