BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

09-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #23
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Funny you bring that car up... I went to look at a new house today and there was a brand new cherry red XK-R sitting in the garage...man that car looks GREAT...but for ~100k no thanks!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

I'd go with a 07-08 M6. The M3 is subtly beautiful, that is why I love it. It's also faster and handles better than the XKR... those two things are deal breakers for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #25
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

I am looking for at used models so the 2012s are out of the question, hopefully the refresh will bring down the prices of the current gen 2010s. As for the M6 suggestion, that car just doesn't do it for me, not all that attractive unless you close your eyes and just listen to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #26
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Funny you bring that car up... I went to look at a new house today and there was a brand new cherry red XK-R sitting in the garage...man that car looks GREAT...but for ~100k no thanks!
Whoa just saw your location, PLEASE tell me you didn't see that car here in the metro... Well I guess that doesn't really matter I won't be here for too much longer. What area did you see this beast? I wanna see it in person!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Have you seen the new XKR-S? It's ridiculous. I really want to drive one to see how it compares to the M6.

Jaguar was taking raffle winners out in the XKR-S for laps around Laguna Seca during the Monterey Motorsports Reunion. The car looked and sounded really good going around the track.
      09-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #28
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Have you seen the new XKR-S? It's ridiculous. I really want to drive one to see how it compares to the M6.

Jaguar was taking raffle winners out in the XKR-S for laps around Laguna Seca during the Monterey Motorsports Reunion. The car looked and sounded really good going around the track.
I'm at the Lime Rock Historics today and they are doing the same thing.
Jaguar is the sponsor and the place is crawling with classic Jags including a couple of D Types.

Z

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #29
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTempted View Post
Hahaha! I kinda have the same logic, not really a car you'd expect to see a 26 year old (my age) driving. But I'm pretty big on exclusivity, and I've never even seen one of those in person, I definitely wouldn't have to worry about a friend having the same car or that feeling of "Dammit, there's another black XKR in town" for example.
try exclusivity of a 26 year old driving an m that is modded. thats what i am and thats what i have and i too considered the xkr before pulling the trigger on the m. i have not meet another person in my circle of friends (i promise i hang with more than a couple people lol) thats driving the same car. the closest to me is a friend who drove an e46 m3 and went to the... xkr. he loves the xkr but does admit that it adds 10 years to him. for him its the image needed in his opinion because hes an investment banker who has to appear as least like a recent college grad as possible to earn some of the better clientele over.

i think you would love either car but i think you would love the bmw for making you feel young and carefree.

only thing worth picking is the one that drives best. what is best in your opinion is different than many on this forum - make yourself happy
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #30
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibxna View Post
try exclusivity of a 26 year old driving an m that is modded. thats what i am and thats what i have and i too considered the xkr before pulling the trigger on the m. i have not meet another person in my circle of friends (i promise i hang with more than a couple people lol) thats driving the same car. the closest to me is a friend who drove an e46 m3 and went to the... xkr. he loves the xkr but does admit that it adds 10 years to him. for him its the image needed in his opinion because hes an investment banker who has to appear as least like a recent college grad as possible to earn some of the better clientele over.

i think you would love either car but i think you would love the bmw for making you feel young and carefree.

only thing worth picking is the one that drives best. what is best in your opinion is different than many on this forum - make yourself happy

I just need to find one of each, test drive, then go from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #31
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whoa just saw your location, PLEASE tell me you didn't see that car here in the metro... Well I guess that doesn't really matter I won't be here for too much longer. What area did you see this beast? I wanna see it in person!
haha nah! close to my parent's place like ~120 miles away. funny thing is, my dad saw that car and he ordered one yesterday lol.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #32
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
haha nah! close to my parent's place like ~120 miles away. funny thing is, my dad saw that car and he ordered one yesterday lol.
Oh ok, phew! Dang wish I could just order one, but the military doesn't pay that well.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #33
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok, phew! Dang wish I could just order one, but the military doesn't pay that well.
haha, m3 > xkr
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #34
alex2008e90black
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Garage List
2011 335D  [0.00]
XKR is nice styling wise yes it look wonderful... But what are you buying the car for looks, impression or performance... So follow your hart and your seat will be happy
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #35
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

I drove an XKR-S yesterday, Jaguar was the sponsor of the Lime Rock Historic Festival and they had a number of cars available for test drives. Tne XKR-S is not really a competitor of the M3. It is more of a cometitor of the Maserati GT or an M6.

It is very fast (550HP) and the suspension is excellent. The transmission is a ZF automatic but it is tuned for performance and aproaches the performance of a DCT. The interior feels very upscale, and the seats are great. It definitely feels more upscale than a 3 Series including an M. The suspension has a better balance between ride and handling that any recent BMW model that I have driven. It also does not come with RFTs and has room for a full size spare - a huge plus for me.

Although it is very high performance and handles very well it is not as hard edged as an M3. It is a superb grand tourer but not something I would take to the track. My wife won a rafle for a "hot lap" around the track in one and was not impressed but I suspect that was due more to the driver than the car. She is very used to riding aroung Lime Rock in an M3 with the Drivers Club instructors. Her comment was "He wasn't going fast enough, Simon (the club coach) is faster". A few years ago she rode around Monticello Motorsports Club in an XKR with former LeMans winner Davy Jones and was far more impressed,

I have scheduled another test drive at Jaguar Manhattan so I can see how it does on the war ravaged NYC streets. The XKR-S is a very impressive car but at $135,000 I don't expect it to be a big seller.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-06-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #36
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

As much as I fell in love with the status, styling, and exclusivity of the Jag, I can't really bring myself to buy an 07-08 (which is in my price range) when the 2010+ is that much better (and way out of my price range). Ah well, guess I'll have to "settle" for the M3... Life is rough, haha.

I'm still excited about the M, I just wanted to get info and explore other avenues.

...and don't even get me started on the Maserati GT, I know it's considered somewhat of an under-performer for it's class and price point but I still have wet dreams about that car... Maybe after a few deployments/TDYs if I get this new job in the AF and rack up that desert money!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #37
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I drove an XKR-S yesterday, Jaguar was the sponsor of the Lime Rock Historic Festival and they had a number of cars available for test drives. Tne XKR-S is not really a competitor of the M3. It is more of a cometitor of the Maserati GT or an M6.

It is very fast (550HP) and the suspension is excellent. The transmission is a ZF automatic but it is tuned for performance and aproaches the performance of a DCT. The interior feels very upscale, and the seats are great. It definitely feels more upscale than a 3 Series including an M. The suspension has a better balance between ride and handling that any recent BMW model that I have driven. It also does not come with RFTs and has room for a full size spare - a huge plus for me.

Although it is very high performance and handles very well it is not as hard edged as an M3. It is a superb grand tourer but not something I would take to the track. My wife won a rafle for a "hot lap" around the track in one and was not impressed but I suspect that was due more to the driver than the car. She is very used to riding aroung Lime Rock in an M3 with the Drivers Club instructors. Her comment was "He wasn't going fast enough, Simon (the club coach) is faster". A few years ago she rode around Monticello Motorsports Club in an XKR with former LeMans winner Davy Jones and was far more impressed,

I have scheduled another test drive at Jaguar Manhattan so I can see how it does on the war ravaged NYC streets. The XKR-S is a very impressive car but at $135,000 I don't expect it to be a big seller.

CA
Any thoughts on how it compares to the wife's XKR?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #38
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Any thoughts on how it compares to the wife's XKR?
The XKR is garaged in Florida and I have not driven it for a while. Also the roads down there are relatively smooth so even when we had the 335i there with RFTs on it ride quality was not an issue,

Since I had a Jaguar instructor sitting next to me I certainly was not able to do burn out 0-60 runs but the extra 50hp would probably be noticeable if I had tried it. I liked the adjustable dampers in the S a lot as you could dial in a bit more comfort which would be great for NYC driving. The interior was bit more sporty with black seats with contrasting red stiching.

CA

Appreciate 0