BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

04-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

Leather starting to look old

I have had my E92 coupe for a week now and the leather on the drivers seat base is starting to stretch and look old. I have silver novillo. Sometimes when I wear jeans, the buttons on my back pockets leave an imprint in the leather.

What can I do do prevent this and keep my leather looking new? What are all of you guys with silver novillo doing to keep your leather seats good as new?

I bought the BMW Leather Care Kit with UV protection, but I don't know if thats going to be a solution to what I am looking for. Anyone have any thought or experiences? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
islandguy19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
the leather is very soft. that's the way the leather reacts to wear and tear. all you can do is try to slow down the speed at which the leather wears and fades. condition and seal the leather. clean and dust it frequently using a lightly damped microfiber towel.
      04-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
I detail cars as a hobby and most people I detail cars for are also BMW owners (I have an 08 E92 M3), and in my car I use Chemical Guys' leather products, and in their cars I use the BMW leather products...for the ones with lighter colored leather but love to wear jeans that bleed, I use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get rid of the denim fade...then protect it with the BMW Leather cleaner/conditioner
      04-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

I was thinking about "sealing" the leather, but a few people told me not to do that because leather is supposed to be able to breathe. I have the BMW leather care kit, and my question is, is that the only product I need? Should that be enough to keep my seats in good condition? I really like the silver novillo and I wouldn't want to do anything to ruin it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
islandguy19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
I was thinking about "sealing" the leather, but a few people told me not to do that because leather is supposed to be able to breathe. I have the BMW leather care kit, and my question is, is that the only product I need? Should that be enough to keep my seats in good condition? I really like the silver novillo and I wouldn't want to do anything to ruin it.
my dealer conditioned and sealed my leather before i picked it up. it helps fight stains and makes it easier for stains to be removed if any. in terms of the wrinkles and impressions that wear produces on our leather seats, that's just what happens. not much we can do other than conditioning, sealing, and cleaning.
      04-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
that is right ... yo do not seal it ...

this is all what you need to use to keep it like new ...

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=207

It works very very good ...

I just cleaned my seats last week and they look better than when they were new !

Don't buy all that BS that dealer trying to sell you ... it is all garbage ...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

I use Pinnacle Leather Cleaner and Pinnacle Leather Conditioner as a two part system at least every six months. In between, I use Pinnacle Leather Cleaner and Conditioner--a combination product--about every month or so.

There are many different brands to choose from. I like the Pinnacle because it doesn't leave a shine or unnatural look of any kind--just soft clean leather that smells like leather. It can be bought at www.autogeek.net along with many other brands.

With the two-part system, the cleaner has to be used in combination with the conditioner because the cleaner removes oils. The conditioner is like a lotion. In fact, I sometimes just rub it in by hand.

Always clean the dust and dirt from your seats before wiping with cleaners. IMO, a vaccum is the best way, as it does not involve any rubbing, but a light swipe with a damp microfiber towel, as mentioned above, also works. any grit in the creases will wear the leather over time.

I don't own any jeans with buttons, so I can't help you there. Just don't lean against the seatback and scoot down (scraping the button) when seating yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

try this http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=207
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

The stuff at the dealer actual works well IMO. All you can really do is condition the leather monthly to slow down it's aging process. No matter what car you drive, as long as it's fine leather, novillo or colony, it will crack. That's just the way fine leather ages.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
The stuff at the dealer actual works well IMO. All you can really do is condition the leather monthly to slow down it's aging process. No matter what car you drive, as long as it's fine leather, novillo or colony, it will crack. That's just the way fine leather ages.
Did you mean Conolly Hide Leather, used in exotics?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
No matter what car you drive, as long as it's fine leather, novillo or colony, it will crack. That's just the way fine leather ages.
Maybe in 20 years, but properly conditioned, it should last a long time. And that's what a lot of owners fail to do.

Thin leather wears faster than thick, that's for sure. I was b*tching that my black leather is a lot thicker than the silver novillo I first drove, but the bright side is it'll last a lot longer looking like new. Jeans butons don't even mark mine. Having said that, I'd have preferred the supple silver leather I experienced on the first M3 to arrive locally. One thing I'll never know is how my leather looked when new compared to after the crap selling dealer added to it (protection package). I think that had something to do with the cardboard feel, since I checked another black M3 yesterday (local guy), and his leather was definitely more supple than mine, but still a lot less than that first M3 I drove (maybe BMW put some premium stuff on those cars ).

Anyway, leather is always dry when new (coming from Germany with windows closed for weeks doesn't help), so ALWAYS condition your leather after buying a new car folks. I've condition mine twice already, am going to do it again. After using almost every product, I settled with Griot's Garage leather conditioner; smells the best IMO, and dries clear. Good stuff (buy the 16-oz bottle for best value). And the warmer the leather is, the more is penetrates, so now it's the time to do it. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

I use zymol products. They work very well. They really make leather to become soft again.

Cleaner: www.zymol.com/zymolsprayleathercleaner8oz.aspx
Conditioner: www.zymol.com/leatherconditioner8oz.aspx
Feeler: www.zymol.com/zymoltreat85oz.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Leatherique is highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
odgaard
keeping cars clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

Leatherique
      06-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

tried mcguiars, didnt like it, just ordered some leatherique.
how often do you guys do it?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 01:15 AM   #16
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

If you want to protect the seats so they'll look like new...about the only way is to use something like sheepskins over the seats. They totally protect the seats. I had a 2004 E46 M3 that I bought new and added sheepskins (BMW sheepskins). I removed them after 4 year s and the seats looked brand new...no creases, no wrinkles, no wear spots no stretch marks.

You can add leather conditioners, whatever, but the wear will be there, along with wrinkles and stretch marks. No way around it without extra protection. The sheepskins are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Of course people hate the looks, but to me the extra protection is wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #17
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

how often should the seats be conditioned?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
If you want to protect the seats so they'll look like new...about the only way is to use something like sheepskins over the seats. They totally protect the seats. I had a 2004 E46 M3 that I bought new and added sheepskins (BMW sheepskins). I removed them after 4 year s and the seats looked brand new...no creases, no wrinkles, no wear spots no stretch marks.

You can add leather conditioners, whatever, but the wear will be there, along with wrinkles and stretch marks. No way around it without extra protection. The sheepskins are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Of course people hate the looks, but to me the extra protection is wonderful.

I don't know exactly what these sheepskins looked like, but i would def not put any seat covers in my car.

Whats the purpose? So that the NEXT owner can have brand new seats and the 4 years that you drove the car you sat on some seat covers in your $50k M3 ?

No thanks
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
how often should the seats be conditioned?
2-3 Times a year!
I used Leatherique before, once our local leather store closed and I could not found it. Now you can purchase on net. I cancel the purchase of zymol and buy Leatherique.
Clean you leather at hot sunny day and apply leather conditioner.
Appreciate 0