BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM
Closed Thread

01-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Exclamation Vishnu Procede/PWM Meth Product Release

UPDATE: M3 section of the website is now active and ready to take orders: http://www.procedetuning.com/styled/index.html

We are always looking for local test cars. For now, all local testers get free installation and a nice lunch at Chipotle

Hi guys,
We're very happy to announce that we have finalized our Procede and PWM Methanol implementation for the e9x M3. We are very satisfied with the results we've seen over the past few months during beta testing. During this period, we have tested the system on 5 different cars (both 6MT and 7DCT) in a variety of operating conditions (hot & cold, high altitude & sea level). It's been tested in racing conditions at Buttonwillow Raceway as well as daily driving routines to and from Starbucks. It's been run in mildly modified cars as well as in higher power supercharged applications. Based upon our very popular BMW N54 Procede/PWM Meth system, we have adapted it to work specifically on the S65.

Engine view:

Another engine view:

Nozzles mounted in filter:

Nozzles from inside filter:

Procede Engine Control Computer (3 plug and play patches looms. The other connectors mate to the pre-assembled methanol harness):

DME compartment with Procede installed:

Testing at Buttonwillow Raceway:

At this time, we have two power-adding "stages" for the S65:

1) PROcede Engine Control Computer
This is an auxiliary computer that literally plugs into your existing DME wiring harness. This device comes pre-programmed and takes 10 minutes to fully install. With it, you can datalog a number of useful channels, read/clear DME fault codes, reset Airbag and TPMS faults and suppress SES lights caused by running aftermarket catalysts or test pipes. At the touch of a button, it can also temporarily highjack your oil temp and fuel level gauges to display useful real-time tuning info (Calculated airflow, Ignition Advance, Air/Fuel Ratio and Inlet Air Temp). The Procede can also be custom tuned if you want to deviate from the supplied tune settings. This is done by connecting a laptop (via supplied USB cable) and adjusting map values through the Procede User Software (free download).

The standard tune settings will work very well and have been developed over many months and thousands of miles of testing. We expect 99% of our users to use the appropriate supplied map. But those 1% who have tuning experience and access to a dyno can certainly benefit from additional custom tuning since no two cars/conditions are alike. And unlike flash tunes, the Procede does not alter the DME code in any way and is 100% diagnostically invisible.

We have several available maps that we can pre-load into the PROcede. Just tell us what your modifications are and what you are looking for.

2) Vishnu PWM Methanol System
This FULLY INTEGRATED methanol system has no peers. It is fully controlled by the PROcede, not NOT an independent controller. Which means the the same computer that controls your engine also controls the Methanol Injection metering. As such, it operates in feed-forward configuration which yields perfectly safe and consistent results. The PROcede Engine Control Computer drives the injection solenoid and measures actual methanol flow. It is only when the internally calculated flow target is reached that the Procede makes the tune more aggressive by advancing timing and adjusting AFR. Which means that any unexpected stoppage of flow results in an immediate corresponding change in engine mapping.

Methanol is sprayed into the air filter using two custom-made 1.0mm nozzles. At 100%DC, the system is rated at 750-800cc/min. This finely atomized spray drops intake temperatures considerably and raises knock resistance well beyond that of what you would get when running straight 100+ octane race fuel. With no other changes in mapping, this intake temp drop and octane bump is worth up to 10whp and near perfect run-to-run consistency. Coupled with a PROcede-induced ignition advance bump, another 5-10whp can be realized in a naturally aspirated application. In a supercharged application, the gains are far more significant. And not only does PWM Methanol improve power and drivability, it also provides a much higher margin of safety against detonation and heat-soak. This means your engine will perform as consistently and smoothly on a hot summer day as it does on a cold winter night.

And unlike other methanol injection systems, the Vishnu PWM Meth system is absolutely transparent. The only hint of operation, other than the obvious bump in power, are the in-dash methanol flow indicators (the signal indicators illuminate when the meth flow target has been reached). The Procede meters methanol spray as a function of airflow, throttle blade position, intake air temp, engine speed and air/fuel ratio. Which means that it allows sprays the right amount of methanol regardless of operating condition. No bogs. No hiccups. Nothing to suggest the presence of any auxiliary injection.

The motorsport-grade injection valve, flow sensor and compression fittings are custom-built for Vishnu by Aquamist UK. The 1.3GPH methanol pump is also built to our specifications to ensure a constant 180psi line pressure. The fast acting injection valve meters injection from 15% to 100% DC, providing a very wide operational dynamic range (unlike conventional variable speed pump based meth kits from Coolingmist, DO, Snow, etc,.). This is very well suited for the high revving S65 engine. The nickel plated flow tube utilizes a hall effects sensor to measure turbine RPM. This raw digital signal is processed by the PROcede. The methanol mixture is stored in the factory 1 gallon windshield washer fluid bottle. No washer bottle drilling is required.

Customer Dyno Results
[Click on link to view entire thread]

7DCT with high flow cats and exhaust. Tested on the Dynojet at EAS.
Stock vs. PROcede vs. PROcede+PWM Meth:

+19WHP @ 6900RPM (PROcede)
+40WHP @ 7400RPM (PROcede+PWM Meth)

6MT fully catless with exhaust and x-pipe. Tested on Dynojet at DNR Performance.
Stock vs. PROcede vs. PROcede+PWM Meth:

+24WHP @ 6900RPM (PROcede)
+30WHP @ 8100RPM (PROcede+PWM Meth)

6MT fully catless with G-Power Supercharger running ~5psi of boost. Tested on Dynojet at DNR Performance.
Standard G-Power Tune vs. Adding PROcede+PWM Meth:

+56WHP @ 8300RPM (PROcede+PWM Meth)

FAQ:

How hard is it to install the PROcede? The PWM Meth kit?
Any novice can install the PROcede or PWM Meth kit. The PROcede alone takes 10-15 minutes to install and only requires a 8mm ratchet. The PWM Meth kit will take a novice 1-2 hours to install. Both can be uninstalled as quickly/easily when/if needed.

If I already have a flash tune, do I need to flash my DME back to stock?
The Procede alone will perform as well, or better, than a properly tuned DME flash tune. As such, there is no need to retain your previous flash tune when installing a PROcede. However, if your flash tune is properly calibrated, you can simply install the PROcede "on top" of it. We do not recommend using the PROcede to fix a problem with your underlying tune.

If I run exclusively on 100oct, will I see power gains from PROcede/PWM Meth combo?
Yes. While running 100oct race fuel will render the octane bump afforded by methanol redundant, it does not offer charge cooling effects. The reduction of inlet air temps will provide a healthy power pump on its own. However, running race gas is completely unnecessary (and a waste of money) when equipped with a PWM meth kit.

Will the PROcede alone provide the same gains as a DME flash?
The PROcede will provide similar, or better, gains that a DME flash tune. Even with a standard "off-the-shelf" map. And through optional custom-tuning, even more power can be realized.

Does it cost anything to get new/additional map files?
No. Additional maps and software updates are completely free.

Low long will a full tank last before I need a refill?
Methanol consumption will depending on how the car is driven. Since methanol is only metered under moderate to full load, casual driving will not consume any methanol. Normal semi-aggressive street driving may consume a tank of meth every two fuel fill-ups. Very aggressive street driving may consume a tank of meth every fuel fill-up.

How much does it cost to fill the meth tank up?
Most race fuel stores will sell methanol for just $3/gallon.

Do I run pure methanol or do I mix it with water?
We recommend running a 70/30 mix of methanol/distilled water. A 50/50 mixture can be used but it will not result in maximum power gains.

When the methanol bottle runs dry, what do I need to do with respect to the tune?
Absolutely nothing. The Procede will automatically adjust mapping when methanol runs dry. It will not run the aggressive timing/fuel settings. There is no need to change maps/settings.

How do I know when the methanol bottle is running low?
You will see a low windshield washer fluid alert on your dash. And even then, you will still have a good amount of methanol left over.

Can i turn off the methanol system and/or PROcede tune when I don't when them active?
Yes. By using the cruise control stalk, you can toggle through different modes to disable the PWM Meth system and/or PROcede. You can do this while you are driving.

How do I read/clear diagnostic codes?
All diagnostic functions can be executed through the Vishnu Command Center which users can easily navigate through using the cruise control stalk.

How do I "hijack" the factory fuel level and oil temp gauges to display useful tuning data (airflow, AFR, Ign Advance, IAT)?
The user can toggle through different display options by double-clicking on the hazard button. Or by selecting defaults display modes through the Vishnu Command Center.

How do I install the methanol nozzles into my air filter (stock or aftermarket)?
Simply drill a hole in the top off your air filter and push in the supplied threaded nozzles. For a reasonable cost, we can also supply a factory-replacement air filter, pre-drilled with the nozzles already installed.

And here are some screenshots of the FREE user tuning software that can be downloaded from the website. This software is used to load files, change mapping values, datalog, update firmware, etc,.

Feel free to ask any other product-related questions if they have not been answered above

The E9x M3 section on our website (Procedetuning.com) will go live on Wednesday (Jan 18th). We will have more info there as well as on-line ordering links. We can also be reached at sales@vishnutuning.com or by calling us toll-free at 1 (866) 584-7531.

Best Regards,
Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-24-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

SWEET!!! My car has been running strong, happy and fast. No issues at all.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Very interesting entrance into the M3 tuning scene here : )

Congrats on being the first to put some real tuning ability in the end-user's hands!

The thing I like the most about this is that it allows you to be as conservative or aggressive as you wish. The thing I like the least is all the physical cables.

Is it safe to say that the way you are adding power with the procede, in your map above, is by leaning out the AFR? I am assuming the timing isn't going to advance until you add the meth, is that accurate? ...or in cold weather even in the absence of meth in the tank?

Thanks for a great offering - will definitely be considering it when the summer rolls around.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
this is pretty damn cool.
      01-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

Very Awesome....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Are dry, as opposed to oiled, filters required due to concerns the meth will release the oil?

Other tuners alter the VANOS (dual variable valve timing) mapping. Your tune appears to change only ignition mapping and to alter that AFR when meth is flowing. Have you done any VANOS tuning?

When you say the Procede is invisible, will a dealer trying to update the ECU note the presence of the additional device through slower or more difficult flashing?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
SEI
Second Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2 questions.

1. Where is the meth tank located? If I understand correctly it uses the windshield wiper tank? and if so what happens when we need the windshield wiper fluid?

2. I know you said it works with any supercharger but with ess tuning we just install this over the tune correct? And the nozzles still go to the air filter?
      01-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Any reason why 6MT made 10 less hp with the meth vs the DCT? How do you explain that without cats, the car made so much less?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

When installing the Procede, I recommend running the USB cable through your firewall and into the glove compartment. It makes it easier to do firmware/map updates. A DIY can be found on the 335 forums. Really easy to do; the hole is already there.

To answer some of the questions posted:

1. The windshield wiper spray still works. There's a T that's routes the meth to your wiper sprayer and the meth pump. It'll cost you $3+ per gallon to spray your windshield though.

2. I'm running the MS filter and there's no issues.

3. When you go to the dealer you can either take the Procede out (takes about 20 min), recommended; or select Map 0 (valet map). Map 0 gives no indications that the Procede is installed and a DME software update can be done on top of the Procede.
      01-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
very nice!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
JA///MES
PLZRACE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Outstanding Product

Just want to say that I have had this system for nearly two months and it is everything Shiv says it is and more. I couldn't recommend a better mod for the price. My M runs so much better with the PROcede and meth, it's like night and day. I definitely recommend NOT piggy backing off another tune because this set up is more than sufficient and you will get much better gains. My hat is off to Shiv and the guys at Vishnu for implementing this system for the E9X M3. Money well spent!!!!!!!
2011 E90 JBM ///M3 DCT l Gintani Catless X-Pipe w/ Hybrid Exhaust l Vishnu Procede V5 with Meth l l RE Pulleys l Tecnocraft Envy l Arkym CF Diffuser l CF BMW Spoiler l Arkym CF Front Bumper l GB ///M Badge l GB Side Markers l GB Kidney Grills l PSS 275/255/35/19s l VMR VB3s in Hyper Black l CF Steering Wheel Trim l ///M Pedals l Black Tow Hooks l Eibach Springs l GP Thunder Bulbs l IND Key Hole Cover l BMW PSW l Verstrabe Paddles
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA///MES View Post
I definitely recommend NOT piggy backing off another tune because this set up is more than sufficient and you will get much better gains.
Is this based on facts or just an opinion?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

WOW this is great new. Time to start saving some lunch money lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
JA///MES
PLZRACE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
Quote:
I definitely recommend NOT piggy backing off another tune because this set up is more than sufficient and you will get much better gains.
Is this based on facts or just an opinion?
This is based off a conversation with Shiv when he came to do the install in El Paso. I had a Gintani tune and had my ECU flashed back to stock prior to the install based upon Shiv's recommendation based on his findings during another E9X M3 install prior. I didn't want to delete my tune because I was esentially throwing away $850.00 however, I decided to based on Shiv's experience with the other M3. I'm sure he can elaborate more.
2011 E90 JBM ///M3 DCT l Gintani Catless X-Pipe w/ Hybrid Exhaust l Vishnu Procede V5 with Meth l l RE Pulleys l Tecnocraft Envy l Arkym CF Diffuser l CF BMW Spoiler l Arkym CF Front Bumper l GB ///M Badge l GB Side Markers l GB Kidney Grills l PSS 275/255/35/19s l VMR VB3s in Hyper Black l CF Steering Wheel Trim l ///M Pedals l Black Tow Hooks l Eibach Springs l GP Thunder Bulbs l IND Key Hole Cover l BMW PSW l Verstrabe Paddles
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is based off a conversation with Shiv when he came to do the install in El Paso. I had a Gintani tune and had my ECU flashed back to stock prior to the install based upon Shiv's recommendation based on his findings during another E9X M3 install prior. I didn't want to delete my tune because I was esentially throwing away $850.00 however, I decided to based on Shiv's experience with the other M3. I'm sure he can elaborate more.
Ok, so just conjecture on that point then. Guess we will see if there is any factual info regarding this from Shiv.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
JA///MES
PLZRACE
United_States
Rep

I believe TMR can elaborate on this also, the recommendation from Shiv was based on the installation done on TMR's car if I'm not mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Ok, so just conjecture on that point then. Guess we will see if there is any factual info regarding this from Shiv.
Thanks to TMR, Longbow and James for helping out with the questions. I'll elaborate on the on regarding pre-existing tunes. Two of our beta cars had pre-existing flashes (Gintani and OE Tuning). Both were 7DTC and both exhibited a problem when testing on the dyno when a transmission fault was triggered, triggering a reduced rev limit limp mode. There was a rather complicated way to get around this problem but we found that flashing back to stock eliminated the issue completely. Allowing us to dyno over and over again without the transmission/DME protesting.

Also, in the case of the OE Tune, it ran uncomfortably lean when we baselined it. This was after we reset all adaptations, reset the DME, etc,. Something was just wrong with it as TMR can explain if asked. Instead of mapping the PROcede to "fix" the problem, we decided to just remove it. And the end result was excellent. I did not personally dyno the Gintani car since it was in another state in at the time. But this potential risk coupled with the dyno difficulties it was known to have gave us enough reason to go back to stock DME mapping.

If you have already dyno'd your flash tune and found positive gains with appropriate AFRs and no such issues, I suggest keeping it as it did no wrong. But if you are going off of your butt dyno with regards to its merits, I suggest verifying its functionality on the dyno and then deciding if you want to keep it.

Best Regards,

shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Any reason why 6MT made 10 less hp with the meth vs the DCT? How do you explain that without cats, the car made so much less?
Different cars (higher mileage 2007 vs. 2011), different conditions and most importantly, different dynojets. The dynojet at EAS seems to read a little bit higher than the dynojets local to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEI View Post
2 questions.

1. Where is the meth tank located? If I understand correctly it uses the windshield wiper tank? and if so what happens when we need the windshield wiper fluid?

2. I know you said it works with any supercharger but with ess tuning we just install this over the tune correct? And the nozzles still go to the air filter?
Meth is stored in the windshield washer tank. You can still use the meth/water mix to clean your windshield if you'd like since that is the main ingredient of windshield washer fluid. However, without the detergents and glycol (both of which you don't want in your injection fluid), it won't clean the windshield as well. But more than adequate for getting off grime and dirt.

For a supercharger system, we recommend installing the nozzles just upstream of the supercharger. In the G Power kit we tested, we installed it in the charge pipe that connects to the manifold inlet (post FMIC). Very simple to installs. Just screws in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Very interesting entrance into the M3 tuning scene here : )

Congrats on being the first to put some real tuning ability in the end-user's hands!

The thing I like the most about this is that it allows you to be as conservative or aggressive as you wish. The thing I like the least is all the physical cables.

Is it safe to say that the way you are adding power with the procede, in your map above, is by leaning out the AFR? I am assuming the timing isn't going to advance until you add the meth, is that accurate? ...or in cold weather even in the absence of meth in the tank?

Thanks for a great offering - will definitely be considering it when the summer rolls around.
Without meth, most of the power gains afforded by any tuning solution (flash or otherwise) comes from running a 2-3 deg ignition advance in the upper midrange. This fills out the dip in power at ~7000rpm. I have yet to see any evidence of power gains as a result of VANOS tuning. And then again above 7000rpm, a bit more power can be extracted by enleaning AFR slightly (by just ~0.5 point).

And with meth spraying, additional power is passively gained by dropping inlet charge temps (higher air density) and by running another 2-3 deg of timing throughout most of the power band.

So to answer your question, ignition timing is the best contributor to power gains. Not surprising considering the gains that people see by just adding race gas and letting the DME run it's maximum timing set points. But at $7-8/gallon, that gets expensive/inconvenient after a while.

shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-17-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Thanks to TMR, Longbow and James for helping out with the questions. I'll elaborate on the on regarding pre-existing tunes. Two of our beta cars had pre-existing flashes (Gintani and OE Tuning). Both were 7DTC and both exhibited a problem when testing on the dyno when a transmission fault was triggered, triggering a reduced rev limit limp mode. There was a rather complicated way to get around this problem but we found that flashing back to stock eliminated the issue completely. Allowing us to dyno over and over again without the transmission/DME protesting.

Also, in the case of the OE Tune, it ran uncomfortably lean when we baselined it. This was after we reset all adaptations, reset the DME, etc,. Something was just wrong with it as TMR can explain if asked. Instead of mapping the PROcede to "fix" the problem, we decided to just remove it. And the end result was excellent. I did not personally dyno the Gintani car since it was in another state in at the time. But this potential risk coupled with the dyno difficulties it was known to have gave us enough reason to go back to stock DME mapping.

If you have already dyno'd your flash tune and found positive gains with appropriate AFRs and no such issues, I suggest keeping it as it did no wrong. But if you are going off of your butt dyno with regards to its merits, I suggest verifying its functionality on the dyno and then deciding if you want to keep it.

Best Regards,

shiv

Ok, so the claims by JA///MES have no merit in regards to yours making more power.

Lastly, you may want to reconsider your wording when it comes to piggy backing the tunes since it seems that there is a strong possibility that issues will arise when trying to use them together.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Any variation of the valve timing as the other tuners say they do to make a better tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Different cars (higher mileage 2007 vs. 2011), different conditions and most importantly, different dynojets. The dynojet at EAS seems to read a little bit higher than the dynojets local to us.
So how do you market something without coming up with some sort of consistent results?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
JA///MES
PLZRACE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
Quote:

Best Regards,

shiv

Ok, so the claims by JA///MES have no merit in regards to yours making more power.

Lastly, you may want to reconsider your wording when it comes to piggy backing the tunes since it seems that there is a strong possibility that issues will arise when trying to use them together.
I was speaking in terms of my own personal experience with the install, my comments would most likely apply to others with a Gintani tune. Sorry I wasn't more specific but I don't spend all of my time posting on the forum. I also asked for Shiv and TMR to elaborate to clarify any discrepancies in what I posted. People who don't have the Vishnu kit most likely should ask more questions instead of sharp shooting everyone else's posts who actually own the kit. Again, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION! Take it or leave it.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread