BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Camber Plate Adjustment (namely the Turner Street Plates)

I installed Turner Street Camber/Caster plates on my (E46) M this past weekend and I'm getting the suspension set before driving to my alignment shop.

It's probably not a big deal but I had a question about adjusting/setting the camber.

There are 3 slotted holes in the camber plate thru which the strut top mount studs pass. Those 3 studs go thru slotted holes at the top of the cars shock tower as well.

So when adjusting camber do I slide the studs in the camber plate slots, the shock tower slots, or both?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

With the TMS street camber/caster plates you are able to adjust camber and caster separately. Sliding the top of the damper shaft side-to-side (left-right) adjusts camber, and front-to-rear adjusts caster.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD
With the TMS street camber/caster plates you are able to adjust camber and caster separately. Sliding the top of the damper shaft side-to-side (left-right) adjusts camber, and front-to-rear adjusts caster.
What I was confused by was the fact that the top bolts can slide in the plate and in the holes in the strut mount area.

I'm thinking I'll just leave it to my tech to figure it out
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
What I was confused by was the fact that the top bolts can slide in the plate and in the holes in the strut mount area.

I'm thinking I'll just leave it to my tech to figure it out
Yes, the three camber/caster mounting bolts should be able to move in both directions - with the wheel off the ground and the three mounting bolts loose, move the damper shaft (nut torqued) left-right and forward-back to set camber and caster, and then tighten the three mounting bolts. Here's a link to TMS installation instructions:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...ate_street.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Yes they utilize the factory adjustment space as well. The factory slots are very minimal in terms of adjustment range. It's really not much to worry about. The studs should towards the inside/negative when you adjust them anyway. Just try to make sure they're consistent for the most consistent settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

The factory slots are about 1/2 a degree of camber worth. I'd just make sure you use all of it up, and adjust with the plates so the the caster angles are identical. (might not matter, but I'm anal like that)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

What do you guys set your caster to?

I'll put Vorshlag camberplates on my car shortly and was wondering how to set caster, as I don't know what the benefits are from increasing caster. I do know that more caster will increase the auto-centering of the steering, improve straight line stability but also increase steering wheel forces in turns. But I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing per se, especially at the track?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
What do you guys set your caster to?

I'll put Vorshlag camberplates on my car shortly and was wondering how to set caster, as I don't know what the benefits are from increasing caster. I do know that more caster will increase the auto-centering of the steering, improve straight line stability but also increase steering wheel forces in turns. But I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing per se, especially at the track?
The instructions say to set it so that the wheel is as forward as possible, but those are just for driving to the alignment shop. I don't think you want to just pick a setting for yourself and leave it.
Appreciate 0