BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #661
dasvolk
The King of Speeding
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F90 M5C

Garage List
2006 BMW M5  [0.00]
For those talking about the warranty.. BMW tried to dick me over on a timing chain tensioner that seized while I was on vacation, claiming somehow that my ECU remap allowing an extra 200 revs was to blame. I had to take it to the BBB and threaten them with legal action to get it done properly. I also found out later that the dealership had cast its report to BMW in the most negative light possible, making it look like I had somehow been responsible. I eventually had to throw the dealership and service manager under the bus to get things put right.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #662
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport Automotive View Post
What I am assuming your idea of "out of their way" is going out of their pocket. If you were a shop manager, would you like people causing drama on a forum for you to clear up (generally speaking to everyone) when you have done your due diligence and they only know what is posted (in turn, making them know it entirely in their eyes)? As an acting manager...if you believe, and better yet KNOW your company was not at fault for this and you even took back the product to help the customer for financial recovery, is it also your responsibility to pay for the consequential damage NOT caused by your company, staff, work or products?

Satisfactory to Active could mean - they had the car there, clearly as you suggested they should (15months ago) to read the ECU and return it to stock. When in their liability agreement (in which you agree when you purchase the product) they are not responsible for charges of re/re of the kit. If you spend 16k without looking into details of your purchase then this should not be a financial problem..and if you are well, I really don't know how you came this far to afford an E9X M3, let alone start getting into modding one.

Satisfactory for the customer could mean not paying a penny, since they did the S/C now this happenned...so why should they be out of pocket?

You could draw the line on 50% but really - that's not fair.

Some of your posts just seem as if you (and many others) are here to cause Drama...and didn't bother reading through everything and seeing the real facts (in which this situation does lack), unless you consider speculation to be a fact. You're only defaming yourself....the automotive industry may seem big, but trust me it is not when forums are involved...and people do remember things (to both fellow sponsors, and customers).

I am not taking sides, or pointing fingers at anyone....but the word FACT is thrown around so much by the uneducated on this forum that is really tiresome to read through 31 pages of BS. Out of 27k views how many of it is to see a show and how many to see the facts. You said my answer yourself in your previous posts.

The best part of the thread is people being judgemental, who live on the other side of the country and have no association with either party.

Given that, I'd suggest for the thread to be locked and cleaned...and re opened when there is a conclusion on the matter. Otherwise this thread only looks like a cheap shot to defame a legendary company and really, they are getting defamed for something we cannot prove at this point. Every other sponsor would agree if they put their self in Active's shoes.
well said
      01-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #663
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
What I am assuming your idea of "out of their way" is going out of their pocket. If you were a shop manager, would you like people causing drama on a forum for you to clear up (generally speaking to everyone) when you have done your due diligence and they only know what is posted (in turn, making them know it entirely in their eyes)? As an acting manager...if you believe, and better yet KNOW your company was not at fault for this and you even took back the product to help the customer for financial recovery, is it also your responsibility to pay for the consequential damage NOT caused by your company, staff, work or products?

Satisfactory to Active could mean - they had the car there, clearly as you suggested they should (15months ago) to read the ECU and return it to stock. When in their liability agreement (in which you agree when you purchase the product) they are not responsible for charges of re/re of the kit. If you spend 16k without looking into details of your purchase then this should not be a financial problem..and if you are well, I really don't know how you came this far to afford an E9X M3, let alone start getting into modding one.

Satisfactory for the customer could mean not paying a penny, since they did the S/C now this happenned...so why should they be out of pocket?

Some of your posts just seem as if you (and many others) are here to cause Drama...and didn't bother reading through everything and seeing the real facts (in which this situation does lack), unless you consider speculation to be a fact. You're only defaming yourself....the automotive industry may seem big, but trust me it is not when forums are involved...and people do remember things (to both fellow sponsors, and customers).

I am not taking sides, or pointing fingers at anyone....but the word FACT is thrown around so much by the uneducated on this forum that is really tiresome to read through 31 pages of BS. Out of 27k views how many of it is to see a show and how many to see the facts. You said my answer yourself in your previous posts.

The best part of the thread is people being judgemental, who live on the other side of the country and have no association with either party.

Given that, I'd suggest for the thread to be locked and cleaned...and re opened when there is a conclusion on the matter. Otherwise this thread only looks like a cheap shot to defame a legendary company and really, they are getting defamed for something we cannot prove at this point. Every other sponsor would agree if they put their self in Active's shoes.
Out of 33 pages worth of posts, this is probably the most significant one.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #664
MotrsportM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30/E36/E46/E92 M3

Quote:

+1............99.99% of all the posts are judgmental.

Even If AA bought his Kit back and HIS M3, someone on this board would comment that the OP should have been compensated for his time.

01-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #665
oslowley
lurker
Rep
Drives: M3 2014 {waiting}

[QUOTE=Only thing that would make this Soap Opera even better is if he is partnering with an ex AA employee or two [/QUOTE]
Ding, ding, the same past AA salesman who went to bat for him and got a refund on the supercharger kit has recently opened doors on a new business venture about 5 miles from AA. The past employee however, has taken the high road and has left no disparaging remarks about Active, he has quietly gone about building up his new business, and here comes the bull in the china shop. It all makes sense now, I've been following the twists and turns of this debacle for the last few days, and always had this nagging feeling that there was more to it than a "you left me high and dry". Speaking from experience, I had a cls55 with pulley, cooling and a custom tune. The pulley shattered destroying the keyhole for the supercharger, the pulley manufacturer's only help was to replace the broken pulley, leaving me to cover the thousands in expenses to repair the car. The OP's actions are in essence nonsensical, unless explicitly stated otherwise when you modify your car you assume all risks with regards to failure, sure they could have extended an olive branch and mitigated some of the OP's losses, but that would have been completely by choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #666
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Any updates?
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #667
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

2 side to every story....i feel sorry for OP but hey shit happens...after all you got an M3, $25k should be pocket money

i read both sides by the way and both are legit
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #668
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
2 side to every story....i feel sorry for OP but hey shit happens...after all you got an M3, $25k should be pocket money

i read both sides by the way and both are legit

25k should be pocket money? It's a BMW not a Rolls Royce.

It may be for some. But forking over 25k of (unnecessary) funds, hurts.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #669
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

^--- guess they aint unnecessary
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #670
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post

+1....dude, i get pissed when i have to fork over a $25.00 dollar late fee...ill lose sleep over it.

and just cause you have a lot of money doesn't mean you go around pissing it away...ive got this client that's got $5 million bucks in cash sitting in one of his accounts with me and he chews my head off and curses my firm every time I charge him a $ONE DOLLAR check writing fee. bitch earns 16k in interest every month off this acct and still complains about a $1 fee.

anyway..OT...but this thread has been largely OT so i dont care...just something to do while waiting for the next episode of Storage Wars.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #671
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post

It should be pocket money if hes dishing out $15k for a charger kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #672
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
wow, just wow.
OP sorry to hear about your mishap.

I Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by positiveions; 01-27-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #673
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by apme123 View Post
they bought it back so they can resell it. When I managed a shop we would go out of our way if a customer had a problem, especially if he is spending that kind of money. Customer service should be AA number 1 priority. Because satisfactory experiences are expected. If someone has a bad experience they'll tell twice as many people. Just look at this thread 27k views and counting

Wow Jon, just wow! Glad to hear a voice of reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #674
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Can we get the OP and AA to go on Judge Judy?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #675
Apex_L8
Private
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Can we get the OP and AA to go on Judge Judy?

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #676
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
+1....dude, i get pissed when i have to fork over a $25.00 dollar late fee...ill lose sleep over it.

and just cause you have a lot of money doesn't mean you go around pissing it away...ive got this client that's got $5 million bucks in cash sitting in one of his accounts with me and he chews my head off and curses my firm every time I charge him a $ONE DOLLAR check writing fee. bitch earns 16k in interest every month off this acct and still complains about a $1 fee.

anyway..OT...but this thread has been largely OT so i dont care...just something to do while waiting for the next episode of Storage Wars.
I do think your company charges me left and right, one dollar here, one dollar there.
And, I dont like it when you call me bitch publicly like this.

However, since you're making me 16k/mo, I will let this go for 1 time.

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #677
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

judge judy FTW!
      01-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #678
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

richpooer - 3.8% in a cash account is extraordinarily high. Where can that be earned?
      01-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #679
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Let me preface this post by saying that I have not read through all the 33 pages of this thread so I apologize if what I say has already been brought up.

I have been a car enthusiast my whole life and have been into modding cars for many, many years. I am now 46, and this started at age 17, so what I say comes from years of personal experience and knowledge.

So here are my points:

1. When you add forced induction to an otherwise stock NA street motor, you are playing with fire. No if, ands, or buts. Your risk of engine failure will go up. If there are inherent weaknesses in the motor to begin with, adding FI will make it much more likely that those weaknesses become exposed.

2. Your margin for error while driving becomes much less. While a mis-shift, an over rev, etc, etc, may be tolerated by a stock motor, it may not be by the boosted motor.

3. Over the years I have seen blown motor after blown motor on all sorts of cars with all sorts of kits. Sure it can happen on a stock motor too, but the risk is just that much higher when boost is applied to a previously NA stock street motor.

4. If you want to go forced induction, buy a forced induction car from the factory. I guarantee you that the tolerances for the internals are such to allow a huge increase in tuned power without much worry. A stock B5 Audi S4 which came from the factory with a 250hp twin turbo V6 could be easily tuned for over 450hp and almost 500lb-ft of torque on the stock block with bullet proof reliability.

5. If you want to put FI onto a NA street car, you need to build the motor...crank, pistons, rods, rings, and run a CR of certainly less than 10.5.

Do it right or don't do it at all. While I feel for the OP, let's be real. Is anyone really surprised that this happened? I hope not.
      01-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #680
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

So what's the word with Mike Benvo?

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #681
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
So what's the word with Mike Benvo?
I think Mike said he'd have the freeze-frame data on this upcoming Tues or Wed.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #682
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Let me preface this post by saying that I have not read through all the 33 pages of this thread so I apologize if what I say has already been brought up.

I have been a car enthusiast my whole life and have been into modding cars for many, many years. I am now 46, and this started at age 17, so what I say comes from years of personal experience and knowledge.

So here are my points:

1. When you add forced induction to an otherwise stock NA street motor, you are playing with fire. No if, ands, or buts. Your risk of engine failure will go up. If there are inherent weaknesses in the motor to begin with, adding FI will make it much more likely that those weaknesses become exposed.

2. Your margin for error while driving becomes much less. While a mis-shift, an over rev, etc, etc, may be tolerated by a stock motor, it may not be by the boosted motor.

3. Over the years I have seen blown motor after blown motor on all sorts of cars with all sorts of kits. Sure it can happen on a stock motor too, but the risk is just that much higher when boost is applied to a previously NA stock street motor.

4. If you want to go forced induction, buy a forced induction car from the factory. I guarantee you that the tolerances for the internals are such to allow a huge increase in tuned power without much worry. A stock B5 Audi S4 which came from the factory with a 250hp twin turbo V6 could be easily tuned for over 450hp and almost 500lb-ft of torque on the stock block with bullet proof reliability.

5. If you want to put FI onto a NA street car, you need to build the motor...crank, pistons, rods, rings, and run a CR of certainly less than 10.5.

Do it right or don't do it at all. While I feel for the OP, let's be real. Is anyone really surprised that this happened? I hope not.
You seem pretty confident in what you're saying, this is pretty OT but are N54s good for tuning? As in do they have bullet-proof reliability i.e. keeping the car running for a long time?
Just looking for some input, threads like these scare me away ahah