BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #23
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Do you think there is enough leather on the e46 M3 shift boot to fit over the e90 boot frame? I found an e46 M3 donor knob for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #24
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Do you think there is enough leather on the e46 M3 shift boot to fit over the e90 boot frame? I found an e46 M3 donor knob for cheap.
I don't know, my E46 was SMGII. Sorry. It seems like your biggest obsticle would be the different base frames to the boots.
      03-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #25
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I don't know, my E46 was SMGII. Sorry. It seems like your biggest obsticle would be the different base frames to the boots.
Yea but the base frames are just glued in place. Very easy to pull apart and reuse.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #26
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Pm's replied...
      03-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #27
Realpimp23
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 JB

nice
      03-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #28
joon
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E70 X5

Great DIY!

I have a couple of questions..

Is it possible to extract lighted assembly without tearing into the stock knob? How would you do it again? Clamp it in a vise and push it out from behind?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #29
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
Great DIY!

I have a couple of questions..

Is it possible to extract lighted assembly without tearing into the stock knob? How would you do it again? Clamp it in a vise and push it out from behind?
Short answer, NO. I don't think it is possible without cutting the wires. Trust me you don't want the stock one after you use the ZHP.

Also, I have had at least two different individuals ask about how I got the shift knob on without stripping the wiring, as it is very tight if you try to pass the wires through the same opening as the shifter. In my original post I mention a smaller hole that is drilled in order to have the wires pass through. Here is a picture, hope this helps.
Quote:
...A smaller hole is drilled the legnth of the shift knob to allow the wiring to pass through from the LED board. To feed the wire through you need to remove the plug with a small flat srewdriver (NO CUTTING is neccesarry). After you feed the wires through, you just push the wires back into the plug.
Name:  Shif3.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  30.7 KB
      05-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
After you have fed the wires through the 'smaller' hole, you just push the wires clips back into the plug. This makes it a true plug and play and the wiring entirely stock (aside from the surrounding ZHP knob).
Name:  wires2.jpg
Views: 31519
Size:  86.2 KB
      10-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #31
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
More detailed instructions:

Just got a PM from a member asking about exactly how I removed the boot from the stock knob:

First, I flipped the boot inside out. Then I just used a razor blade and cut all the way around, retaining as much of the material as possible by peeling it off the knob(since the stock knob will not be used again). You might be able to get about a 1/2 inch of extra material, you're gonna need it. Then you just zip tie from the inside and fold back down. Make sure you run the wire through the boot opening first otherwise you will be cutting the zipties and redoing this step. I used two of the smallest zip ties I could find at Lowes as to keep the lowest profile 'ring' from the outside. Less bulky! Hope this helps.

Name:  Ziptie.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  137.4 KB
      10-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #32
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Very helpful indeed. Thanks!
      10-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #33
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Oh boy. I promised myself that I wouldn't order anything else........But I saw this thread, and.....

Thanks Metak for the brilliant info!

And thanks TLud for bumping this thread, otherwise I probably wouldn't have run into it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #34
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Great job buddy. I didn't want to touch my car, but you just confirmed what I thought: stock knob feels like weighs nothing.

I just did a very involved job (countersinking a metal knob is not easy) of adapting a knob from an '10 Acura TL to my Accord DD, and seems like you're going to make me do a second job . The hardest thing was to remove the cap too, and I ended up using my Sam's Club ID card, then a credit card. Still messed up the leather a little bit, but a sharpie made it invisible. A screwdriver would have marred the cap, no doubt.

My questions for you are: how exactly did you remove the cap? And how secure is the boot with just the cable tie? Doesn't pull itself down over time? And finally how did you secure the knob to the shaft (silicon, just pressure, etc)? Oh, and where can you buy the knob and how much? I really like how the stock knob is just one continuous leather piece, so might have to develop some courage to butcher it . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #35
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
.....My questions for you are: how exactly did you remove the cap?
The most important thing is to avoid damaging the stock shift emblem. I didn't care about the leather because I was cutting the boot off anyways. I just used a small flathead screwdriver.

Quote:
And how secure is the boot with just the cable tie? Doesn't pull itself down over time?
I have had it on for almost a full year with no issues. It is very secure.
Quote:
And finally how did you secure the knob to the shaft (silicon, just pressure, etc)? Oh, and where can you buy the knob and how much? I really like how the stock knob is just one continuous leather piece, so might have to develop some courage to butcher it . Take care.
The shift knob snaps on just like the stock one. I actually prefer the silver aluminum ring instead of the continuous boot. It's shorter as the picture I posted shows, more solid and most imprtantly it just feels a thousand times better. Oh yeah, lastly, the BMW ZHP knob can be ordered through your local dealership, but I would recomend Tischer.

Quote:
Just do what I did, test drive the ZHP to see if you even like it before you tear apart the stock one.

I would say Tischer for sure!
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
      10-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #36
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It'll definitely take some juevos to cut off the leather boot, but given that Metak has blazed the way, I feel a lot more comfortable doing it. Having previously owned an E46 ZHP, I can't tell you how much I miss the shifter from that car. I'm excited to tackle this project this weekend.

Btw, for those of you who are nervous about doing the work yourself, you can buy everything you need from LeatherZ. They sell the illuminated ZHP shift knobs, leather boots, and even the base trim ring. Obviously, the more you do yourself, the more money you save. Andy and John are great guys and will take care of you.

Metak really has it covered in this thread, but I can take and post some pics from my install this weekend if it would be helpful.
      10-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #37
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
It'll definitely take some juevos to cut off the leather boot, but given that Metak has blazed the way, I feel a lot more comfortable doing it. Having previously owned an E46 ZHP, I can't tell you how much I miss the shifter from that car. I'm excited to tackle this project this weekend.

Btw, for those of you who are nervous about doing the work yourself, you can buy everything you need from LeatherZ. They sell the illuminated ZHP shift knobs, leather boots, and even the base trim ring. Obviously, the more you do yourself, the more money you save. Andy and John are great guys and will take care of you.

Metak really has it covered in this thread, but I can take and post some pics from my install this weekend if it would be helpful.
Yes please...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #38
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's a link to my DIY. Very easy. Only took me about an hour.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312715

Thanks ///Metak for making it easy.
      10-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #39
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I wonder if this process would work on the Performance BMW shift knob. Anyone know? I really like the looks of that knob but I don't want to give up my lights.

I also wonder if the Performance BMW alcantara shift boot would work with the ZHP shift knob. Much cheaper (only costs $40 from Tischer) than LeatherZ's alcantara boots.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #40
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I wonder if this process would work on the Performance BMW shift knob. Anyone know? I really like the looks of that knob but I don't want to give up my lights.

I also wonder if the Performance BMW alcantara shift boot would work with the ZHP shift knob. Much cheaper (only costs $40 from Tischer) than LeatherZ's alcantara boots.
i don't think there is cutouts for light to come through the knob
      10-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #41
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
i don't think there is cutouts for light to come through the knob
I don't think the ZHP knob had cutouts either... That's what this DIY is about. He drilled holes for the wires.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #42
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I don't think the ZHP knob had cutouts either... That's what this DIY is about. He drilled holes for the wires.
Good point. As long as it's not metal, I'd definitely try to modify yours. Once you remove the cap, you can tell if it's doable or not. If not, just put the cap back, sell it, and buy the ZHP.

I asked OP if the ZHP had any metal and never responded, but doesn't look like it, so will order it. By the way, I thought of an easy way to make the boot fit at the same diameter as the ZHP's ring: build up the diameter of the shaft with tape, which will have 2 benefits: OEM fit, and boot has to be cut shorter to get the wider diameter needed; perfect solution, since I don't like the boot sunk that much, like it is now .
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #43
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My ZHP short shift knob recently arrived a few days go, and I must say it's SUPER NICE!! I ordered it from Tischer BMW for $60 shipped.

As of now, I may or may not make it illuminated.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #44
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

not to take away from OP's DIY, but I believe Tlud recently made a DIY using leatherZ modified(for illumination) ZHP knob ... if you havent read it, you should..could save you potential headache/problems