BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #45
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Well I can speak from experience because I've owned all of these Mcars;
E36, E46, Z4Mcoupe, E90, M6 and now awaiting the 1M. I've climbed that ladder chasing the next big thing in the M line up. I've even spent time on the track with the M5/M6/M3 at BMW's driving school in Spartanburg. More expensive and more luxurious does not always translate to more fun. I haven't driven the 1M yet but I'm thinking I will enjoy it more than the M6. Maybe won't turn heads like having a supermodel on your arm but I'm guessing the 1M is gonna be the cute girl next door that will rock your sox in the bedroom!
I like what you're saying here, but the M3 is also the girl next door, but with a better body, face and personality than your girl.
You like what I'm saying but you missed the point entirely. I already said the M3 was the 'supermodel' in my analogy, so of course, better body, better face, etc. Oh...forget.
      05-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #46
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

the 1m is the m3s little brother.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #47
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsCanadianCousin View Post
I kind of wish they built a M roadster w/ the S65...
Me too. I want a fixed roof Z4 with the S65 so much!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #48
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

Quote:
You like what I'm saying but you missed the point entirely. I already said the M3 was the 'supermodel' in my analogy, so of course, better body, better face, etc. Oh...forget.
Too fat to be a supermodel. 400 lbs heavier is a lot of woman.

M3 = The Chubby Oprah
1M = The young Tyra
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #49
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASM3 View Post
I love my e9x M3. When it came to the streets people in the press complained about everything from the steering to how low the exhaust hung. Even after it wiped the floor with greater than 90% of the competition, it had to earn it's respect every step of the way. 1M hits the ground at it's the e30 reincarnated (as per several articles). Magazines are stating they would take 1M over the M3. Am I in the matrix? Has the world gone mad? Maybe I'm just jealous. I actually feel bad because I wanted to see a bad review on the 1M. How bad is that!
Sometimes I feel some of the mags that reviewed the 1M had some type of agreement with BMW, a la Ferrari if you will. ///Marketing

Some of the mags even said that the 1M is 600 lbs lighter than the m3..LOL.

The fact is that the m3 is 342 heavier.

The hp/weight ratio of the m3 is .1117hp/lb and the 1m is .0996hp/lb.

The 1m also has a higher center of gravity than the m3.

The 1m is nice but IMO, it is no m3...not even close. All the good parts that the 1m has, come from the m3.

However, I wouldn't mind a 1m as a DD. One must come to terms with what it is and what it isn't. If I just wanted a track toy, I would probably choose the 1m over the m3 simply because it is $20k cheaper. However, in every other situation, the m3 will win every time.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #50
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

The perfect marketing.technique...

Reminds me of when.the 335 came out...

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #51
Mhirsch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M5 - 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
My M3 is my first high revving car. When I bought it, the (high revving) NA engine with wide power band was not the main reason why I bought it. I enjoyed cornering fast and wanted to get one of the best street cars on the market that would provide a track quality performance. Little did I know, the high revving engine captivated me. I am now addicted to 7K, 8K and beyond too. Addicted to the predictability of S65 performance. Addicted to the precision handling, I could play soccer with the front wheels. Addicted to S65 roar from 4K to redline. I am so happy with this car I could care less about the 1M.
I'm not an expert in cars but I believe 1M competition is more like WRX/STI.

This is right on! S85 is even more amazing!
      05-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #52
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post

Sometimes I feel some of the mags that reviewed the 1M had some type of agreement with BMW, a la Ferrari if you will. ///Marketing

Some of the mags even said that the 1M is 600 lbs lighter than the m3..LOL.

The fact is that the m3 is 342 heavier.

The hp/weight ratio of the m3 is .1117hp/lb and the 1m is .0996hp/lb.

The 1m also has a higher center of gravity than the m3.

The 1m is nice but IMO, it is no m3...not even close. All the good parts that the 1m has, come from the m3.

-SZ
I usually like what you have to contribute to the forum, but in this case I feel you are way off.

First, reference some of these mags that claim there is a 600lb difference. I haven't seen this. Besides the over 300lb weight difference is nothing to scoff at.

Second. Power to weight ratio is better in the M3 but it's also better in the M6, but you are also dealing with greater weight in both cases, which does become a factor when you decide you want to change direction.

Third. What facts do you base the center of gravity on? How dramatic a difference do you think the CF roof is going to be to the no sunroof 1M? It certainly isn't because of the height difference. 55.9 vs. 55.8

Lastly, you say it is all marketing. But who's to say that you yourself haven't fallen prey to the very same marketing lure and now you're so convinced there is nothing 'better'. I've owned a lot of M cars and have been sucked into the bigger, more powerful, more tech tidbits, more luxury blackhole that is ///M as we know it today, all the way up to the M6. The 1M is a breath of fresh air and really resonates with me and others that don't have any agreement with BMW besides writing a check at the time of purchase. The fact is the two cars performance stats are very similar, but deliver it in very different ways. Bottom line, it is really just preference. Some might prefer the bigger more powerful M6. I for the time being drawn away from my M6, believe it or not, to the 1M.
      05-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #53
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Ding ding, put me into that pool ahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPunjabi View Post
One thing I've always noticed is those people who buy the highest end car in a series are kinda ticked off when they see the lower end model which is probably because we paid more for ours and want the exclusivity.

People who own Carrera's are usually going hate Boxters.

People who own a ZR1 are usually gonna hate the regular coupe. (Rightfully so they paid more than double for theirs!)
      05-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #54
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
I usually like what you have to contribute to the forum, but in this case I feel you are way off.

First, reference some of these mags that claim there is a 600lb difference. I haven't seen this. Besides the over 300lb weight difference is nothing to scoff at.

Second. Power to weight ratio is better in the M3 but it's also better in the M6, but you are also dealing with greater weight in both cases, which does become a factor when you decide you want to change direction.

Third. What facts do you base the center of gravity on? How dramatic a difference do you think the CF roof is going to be to the no sunroof 1M? It certainly isn't because of the height difference. 55.9 vs. 55.8

Lastly, you say it is all marketing. But who's to say that you yourself haven't fallen prey to the very same marketing lure and now you're so convinced there is nothing 'better'. I've owned a lot of M cars and have been sucked into the bigger, more powerful, more tech tidbits, more luxury blackhole that is ///M as we know it today, all the way up to the M6. The 1M is a breath of fresh air and really resonates with me and others that don't have any agreement with BMW besides writing a check at the time of purchase. The fact is the two cars performance stats are very similar, but deliver it in very different ways. Bottom line, it is really just preference. Some might prefer the bigger more powerful M6. I for the time being drawn away from my M6, believe it or not, to the 1M.
I guess I just have mixed feelings about how mags are representing the 1m; it sounds almost too good to be true honestly. I find it very hard to believe that the 1m can outperform an m3. I saw one at the DC car show a few months ago and I must admit, it was cool looking in much the same way a STI or EVO is but it definitely is no m3.

A buddy of mine has a 1m on order; he didn't have the cash for an m3 and needed something more fuel efficient that an m3 to use as a DD, so I was the first one to push him towards the 1m.

Do I like it? Yes I do. The 1m wouldn't be the only quirky looking car that I have liked; after all, I had a bug-eyed WRX at one point.

Would I buy one? Yes, I probably would if I wanted a cool car to keep my m3 company in the garage (that wasn't a Porsche).

You are right about the 1M being a breath of fresh air. Hopefully, the 1M is paving the way to lighter, more agile ///M cars.

Maybe when my buddy finally gets a 1M, we can take a trip to Summit Point and pin it [1M] against the M3 to see how it does.

-SZ

Last edited by SUB-ZERO; 05-20-2011 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0