BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BPM

10-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Sterrico
New VW CEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

New Type of Speed Camera in Montgomery County

I just saw this and wanted to pass along. No flame posts about the right of speeding I just wanted to let everyone know. Thanks.

FYI – BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

This was sent to me and I wanted to share it with you. Please see photo attached A few days on the way home, I saw this on the side of the road on Rt.28. I suspected it was a new type of speed camera. So I did an 180, and stopped at the side of the road to take this picture.
Today, I verified it is a new type of speed trap. Since now everyone knows where the fixed pole speed cameras are, Montgomery County is actually losing money enforcing the speed law using such camera. So now it utilizes this new type of speed camera and has been placing the camera all over Montgomery County, Maryland. And for those of you who live outside Montgomery & PG Counties , this soon wil lbe coming to your area like Howard county.
There is one camera on the side of Rt. 193, 2 blocks away from the Goddard Space Flight Center main gate. With the type of job I involve daily, I was able to talk to the company that manufactured these types of camera today and found out about its capability. It not only has radar but also using laser to measure your speed when you pass it. Two cameras lens on the machine, one face forward, and one face the other direction. That means if you were speeding, it already takes your front license plate when you approach and verifies the image with your back license plate when you drive away and record your speed in between. And if you don't have front license plate, Montgomery County is going to pass a law soon that will give you a ticket (on top of the speed ticket). There are also empty slots available in the module that will allow operation modules to be inserted and to hook up with signal from satellite (which is been tested in Britain right now), convert information to measure your speed (much like the principle of GPS.) So be careful out there.
These new types of camera is portable and powerful. It can measure your speed up to 150 feet away (instead of 30 feet of current fixed pole one.) And it can be moved to anywhere at the drop of the hat. And because of its size (about 1.5 feet tall), it will be too late for you when you spot it.
Attached Images

2011.5 SG E90 - Loved her but totaled her.
2006 Z4M - Short but sweet stint
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

whoa...thanks. Laser is very effective. This shows how much revenue the munis need for their budget.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

WTF it's getting to a point where it's rediculous. It's essentially entrapment. Luckily I'm moving out of the area soon.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
crazycarl16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M // 08 X5 4.8i // 03 M5

I guess I'll be driving with my radar up all the time now!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Technically if people aren't getting caught in places where these speed cameras are, doesn't that mean that they are obeying the law wherever these cameras are present? IMO you can't really excuse this as law enforcement since the law is already being enforced fairly well if citizens are getting such few violations that upkeep of these simple cameras is significantly outweighing revenue from those violations to the point that the county decides to make an investment into new equipment in order to generate more income from violations.

Man you're right, this is such a revenue move. It's like these people WANT others to break the law so that they can catch them in the act and earn money off of it!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

small world, I got this e-mail too - still haven't seen anything that looks like that in the real life.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

does it have a flash for night?
      10-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarl16 View Post
I guess I'll be driving with my radar up all the time now!
That's the way to do it! Let's hardwire yours this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
does it have a flash for night?
I would imagine it does, or at least some sort of light that reflects off license plates.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

People should start carrying garbage bags with them and when they see these things stop and cover it up. This is such a cop out by law enforcement. I think that cameras have their place in assisting police, but just placing one on the side of the road to make money is complete bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
crazycarl16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M // 08 X5 4.8i // 03 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldze1025 View Post
That's the way to do it! Let's hardwire yours this weekend.
I'm down. After one last Cars and Coffee? I'll be in Chicago next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Can this version of the speed camera get you if you don't have a front tag?

I know the fixed cameras snap two shots in Montgomery county (front and rear) while the DC (like MacArthur blvd) simply takes a pic of the back of your car.

It looks like this one is only setup to grab a front pic if it catches you speeding on approach....so absent a front tag, you could rip through those scott free. Maybe even give the folks at processing some live action footage of a 11mph+ over the limit power slide with a smile on the drivers face.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
Captain Slow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' M3 Convertible

Conn Ave, in chevy chase heading north has a stretch where in 2 blocks apart, there is a standard speed camera, followed by one of the stumpy ones, then another standard camera, finally a red light camera at the intersection... yikes
      01-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

time to go put a trashbag over it... or paintball
      01-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
NavM
M-Sport
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Thanks for the heads up. I've lived in Maryland most of my life and it sucks. Speed cameras, front license plate required, etc. There is even a speed camera on I-95 between DC and Baltimore in the ICC construction zone.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterrico View Post
takes your front license plate when you approach and verifies the image with your back license plate when you drive away and record your speed in between.
If it does an average of your speed approaching and driving away then you should be ok by slowing down a lot while passing it. Much like the average speed cameras in the UK, you can do 100MPH between them as long as you pull over for a minute before passing the last camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Can of spray paint?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Thanks even though its late, but at least I know what to watch out for.
$40 out of my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterrico View Post
I just saw this and wanted to pass along. No flame posts about the right of speeding I just wanted to let everyone know. Thanks.

FYI – BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

This was sent to me and I wanted to share it with you. Please see photo attached A few days on the way home, I saw this on the side of the road on Rt.28. I suspected it was a new type of speed camera. So I did an 180, and stopped at the side of the road to take this picture.
Today, I verified it is a new type of speed trap. Since now everyone knows where the fixed pole speed cameras are, Montgomery County is actually losing money enforcing the speed law using such camera. So now it utilizes this new type of speed camera and has been placing the camera all over Montgomery County, Maryland. And for those of you who live outside Montgomery & PG Counties , this soon wil lbe coming to your area like Howard county.
There is one camera on the side of Rt. 193, 2 blocks away from the Goddard Space Flight Center main gate. With the type of job I involve daily, I was able to talk to the company that manufactured these types of camera today and found out about its capability. It not only has radar but also using laser to measure your speed when you pass it. Two cameras lens on the machine, one face forward, and one face the other direction. That means if you were speeding, it already takes your front license plate when you approach and verifies the image with your back license plate when you drive away and record your speed in between. And if you don't have front license plate, Montgomery County is going to pass a law soon that will give you a ticket (on top of the speed ticket). There are also empty slots available in the module that will allow operation modules to be inserted and to hook up with signal from satellite (which is been tested in Britain right now), convert information to measure your speed (much like the principle of GPS.) So be careful out there.
These new types of camera is portable and powerful. It can measure your speed up to 150 feet away (instead of 30 feet of current fixed pole one.) And it can be moved to anywhere at the drop of the hat. And because of its size (about 1.5 feet tall), it will be too late for you when you spot it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
time to go put a trashbag over it... or paintball

or better yet a get a drunk driver run over it!
Appreciate 0