BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

05-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #45
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

So which of you has "illegal" tint? Admit it now!

: P

As for cops in Pittsburgh:

Pittsburgh cops are very cool in my experience. PA State troopers are also very professional and reasonable. Ross Township and Cranberry have some serious dickheads. Some of the Allegheny County Sheriffs are also tools - they use to work the airport; not sure if that is still the case.

I treat police officers the same way I treat everyone - respectfully; until given a reason to do otherwise. The good ones behave in the same manner.

Can be a very tough job. I definitely respect and appreciate the Pittsburgh police for keeping us safe. There have been some serious casualties in the past few years here. Very sad.

Last edited by Singletrack; 05-21-2012 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #46
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
So which of you has "illegal" tint. Admit it now!

: P
View post on imgur.com

Would this be considered illegal? Its my "friends" car..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #47
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
You convieniently left out this part of the post:
No intent to misquote you. Just taking the complete sentence on its own merit. The implication being that you would never give a fellow LEO a ticket, but non-LEOs are subject to your discretion, and much more likely to get a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth ///M View Post
Seems like you didn't read the entire thread. Nice job!

The Law? As in criminal? Like murder and assault..? Or are you talking about motor vehicle "violations"?

Read: Professional Courtesy. It's a brotherhood, a fraternity, a subset of culture, and" thin blue line" as some call it.

We have discretion when it comes to motor vehicle violations, and most, I wish all, exercise that discretion when a fellow officer is operating the vehicle. However, like I stated before, check YouTube for videos.

Thanks for understanding.

I understand why a discussion like this would make you uncomfortable and resort to sarcasm, but I was just posing the question. Of course I'm only talking about the law regarding motor vehicles. I'm happy you have the brotherhood, but it does not answer the question why moving violations do not (in most cases) apply to a off duty LEO that has committed some kind of moving violation? I suppose double standards can be a fun thing if you're on the proper side.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #48
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I guess it's hard to understand, especially if you've never been put in a situation like that, where you sometimes depend on each other for survival. I'm not an LEO, but I am in the military, so I kind of understand.

You always could, you know, not break the law. Then you wouldn't have a problem. Am I right?
      05-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #49
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I guess it's hard to understand, especially if you've never been put in a situation like that, where you sometimes depend on each other for survival. I'm not an LEO, but I am in the military, so I kind of understand.

You always could, you know, not break the law. Then you wouldn't have a problem. Am I right?

Responding to my post?

If so, I was in the military for 10 years as well. So I get the brotherhood thing. At no point were my fellow USAF pilots able to extend a courtesy like the LEOs do. I've got no beef with the LEOs on this site or on the street. Just thought it would be an interesting discussion. Apparently not. We'll just go back to talking about interesting things like how much money everyone makes. Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #50
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post
No intent to misquote you. Just taking the complete sentence on its own merit. The implication being that you would never give a fellow LEO a ticket, but non-LEOs are subject to your discretion, and much more likely to get a ticket.

I understand why a discussion like this would make you uncomfortable and resort to sarcasm, but I was just posing the question. Of course I'm only talking about the law regarding motor vehicles. I'm happy you have the brotherhood, but it does not answer the question why moving violations do not (in most cases) apply to a off duty LEO that has committed some kind of moving violation? I suppose double standards can be a fun thing if you're on the proper side.
You misread: We use discretion on every motor vehicle stop we conduct, on a civilian or LEO. It can be our discretion to let you (a civilian) go with a warning, or a summons. Likewise, it can be our discretion to let you ( a LEO ) go with a warning or a summons.

Its not a black and white question. I cant simply answer it yes or no. It requires you read, comprehend, and put yourself in our shoes to UNDERSTAND why it is the way it is. Professional Courtesy is just that. We are not above the law. On the contrary, we are held to a higher standard in every sense of it.

What do you do for a living?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth ///M View Post
You misread: We use discretion on every motor vehicle stop we conduct, on a civilian or LEO. It can be our discretion to let you (a civilian) go with a warning, or a summons. Likewise, it can be our discretion to let you ( a LEO ) go with a warning or a summons.

Its not a black and white question. I cant simply answer it yes or no. It requires you read, comprehend, and put yourself in our shoes to UNDERSTAND why it is the way it is. Professional Courtesy is just that. We are not above to the law. On the contrary, we are held to a higher standard in every sense of it.

What do you do for a living?

Good enough. I doubt we'll accomplish much by continuing the discussion. Whenever the best answer is "that's just the way it is" , then there's little else to be said.

I'm a business owner.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #52
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Responding to my post?

If so, I was in the military for 10 years as well. So I get the brotherhood thing. At no point were my fellow USAF pilots able to extend a courtesy like the LEOs do. I've got no beef with the LEOs on this site or on the street. Just thought it would be an interesting discussion. Apparently not. We'll just go back to talking about interesting things like how much money everyone makes. Carry on.
Well then you should understand a little more...

I would say there are always exceptions. If they make exceptions for LEO's AND non-LEO's, then I don't see what the problem is really. I would be a little more inclined to agree with you if ALL LEO's got off for moving violations and ALL non-LEO's got tickets, all the time, but I don't believe that is what they are trying to say.

I remember back when my dad was a cop, I specifically remember him being pulled over by a PA State Trooper. He mentioned he was off duty Philly PD, the guy actually said, "Oh, so that makes it OK for you to speed?" just as he handed him a ticket. You never know!
      05-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #53
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Why do people have such a hard time with cops giving a break to other cops. Like I said, it happens in all professions. I doubt there are too many cops that would let another cop off if it was some kind of real crime.

The real problem with speed limits is two-fold:

1. They are definitely a source of revenue for municipalities and also indirectly, for insurance companies. For this reason, they are kept artifically low in many places. This is a fact.

2. In an ideal world, a given road should have differing speed limits for differing cars, traffic and weather conditions, but this is just logistically impossible. That is why I urge police to use their discretion about whether or not someone is really being a danger.

Example:

Interstate highway. Speed limit 65 mph. Heavy rain with traffic. Person driving even only 60mph should get a ticket IMO. Should probably be driving 45-50.

On the other hand, on the same highway, on a dry, sunny day in the early morning with no traffic, a person going 90 mph in a high performance car should be allowed to proceed.
      05-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #54
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Good to see a thread like this among the "wahh, I was speeding and got a ticket, no fair" threads.

Thanks for all you guys do. My dad was an officer in Philly for a while before he was injured in the line of duty. My sister is about to be a PA State Trooper.
I wish your dad and sister the very best and safety in particular for your sister.
Quote:
Well then you should understand a little more...

I would say there are always exceptions. If they make exceptions for LEO's AND non-LEO's, then I don't see what the problem is really. I would be a little more inclined to agree with you if ALL LEO's got off for moving violations and ALL non-LEO's got tickets, all the time, but I don't believe that is what they are trying to say.

I remember back when my dad was a cop, I specifically remember him being pulled over by a PA State Trooper. He mentioned he was off duty Philly PD, the guy actually said, "Oh, so that makes it OK for you to speed?" just as he handed him a ticket. You never know!
PA State Troopers and New Jersey State troopers have very little tolerance for nonsense. Even from us.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #55
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

so how about some crazy stories from the job? I found that cops always have the best ones
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #56
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Tell how you guys shake down dealers to pay for your cars..I joke ..couldnt resist..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #57
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I was trying to play incognito. I know LEO's are not well liked on this board or many other places these days. Sheriff here.
I'm actually very fond of law enforcement. Perhaps it is because I haven't had a ticket in over 25 years. I even know a few DAs that are really great guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #58
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wish your dad and sister the very best and safety in particular for your sister.

PA State Troopers and New Jersey State troopers have very little tolerance for nonsense. Even from us.
I wonder how that Trooper would feel when the State Police guy intentionally avoids breaking the speed limits responding to the emergency call to the Trooper's house?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #59
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

I had a cop friend who worked undercover for awhile, ended up getting too attached to the guy he was trying to put away and his crew...dude actually headed the con the keys to his car to escape because the con had crashed his car in a chase.

he got kicked off the force for his trouble and moved to Miami in disgrace
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #60
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I had a cop friend who worked undercover for awhile, ended up getting too attached to the guy he was trying to put away and his crew...dude actually headed the con the keys to his car to escape because the con had crashed his car in a chase.

Was his name Crockett or Tubbs.
)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #61
JesusMChrist
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:

You know, he did owe him a ten second car; right?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #62
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Was his name Crockett or Tubbs.
I believe this guy's name was Brian, but he was known to go by the alias of "Bullet" from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #63
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMChrist View Post
I haven't watched Fast and Furious in YEARS guys. Sorry
)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #64
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMChrist View Post
yeah, that's what he said, how did you know? personally, i think he fell for the sister. she was hot, but her tuna sandwiches sucked.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #65
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Quote:

I understand why a discussion like this would make you uncomfortable
Fair enough. I am not uncomfortable talking about this. Quite frankly I have never issued another law enforcement officer a traffic ticket. I can only think of one or two situations where I might do so and I have never been confronted with those situations. I have never been issued a traffic ticket by another law enforcement officer. If you consider this a double standard then I will not argue with you.

This may seem unfair; but no one ever promised that life would be fair. On the grand scheme of things this minor benefit, advantage, courtesy is very low on the inequality ladder.

I will give you some other examples of inequalities that I have for my advantage.
My wife is employed by one of the world's largest chemical companies in their trade coatings business. We have not had to buy house paint for the past 28 years. She gets it for free.
My sister is employed by a wine and spirits distributor. My family has not paid for wine or liquor for nearly 25 years. My sister gets it all for free. Sadly, we do pay for beer.
I have a close friend who works for a local sports and entertainment firm. I occasionally get free tickets to concerts and sporting events. This is not sitting in the cheap seats with the unwashed. The seats are in the company's box with free food and drink.

So the world is loaded with a wide variety of perks to many people in all walks of life. The lowered risk of receiving a traffic ticket is a modest benefit.
      05-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #66
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:

But he just couldn't get the guy's hot looking sister out of his mind.....
Closed Thread