BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #89
dosserj
FOR SALE
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3

My dealer replaced my wheel bearing and it solved the issue for me. You might ask your service adviser to check yours next time you go in. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #90
carlfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

You can add me to the list of people with this problem. The noise is terribly loud at low speeds. It happens on reverse or going forward.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #91
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
I wish the car would stop beeping while I'm washing it.
Take the key out of your pocket.
      02-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #92
jwarner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Alpine White ZCP

For what it's worth, I've had this problem in my 2011 E92 DCT.

It's not a rock or debris related issue.

It is the parking brake adjustment.

You can make the tin-can clanking sound stop by rolling slowly and pulling up on the parking brake several times at low speed. It will then likely go away, but return again in the future.

This was verified by my local BMW shop.

The fix is to take your car into the shop and have them adjust the parking brake.

Incidentally, the sound is very distinctive, and does sound like cans being dragged behind the car. Kind of a hollow, thin-metal (like a can) clanging sound. Very annoying, and usually only happens at parking lot speeds. (and when others around to witness

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #93
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Old thread but more info here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...light=Cow+Bell
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #94
mendez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

I got the same issue today. The dealer inspected the parking breake and no issues was found, the noise is gone now....Maybe will return later? I hope not!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #95
Greg_M.3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 SilverstoneII

I had this happen to me last night/today after some very spirited driving/drag racing (on a closed course). Came back here because it sounded like the dreaded "cowbell". Had the wife help me find the exact area. She and I agreed it was the passenger rear wheel area.
I pulled backwards and forwards in my driveway at ~5mph and the sound was constant going back and forth. I then coasted backwards in neutral and yanked the e-brake (I did not hear it after this). Then for good measure I drove backwards and forwards on the street at 5-10mph ad maybe 50 yards or so. No more
noise. I then pulled into the garage and searched the driveway. I found one pretty large rock and a piece of asphalt.. Obviously don't know if they were there before but are the possible culprits (they were in the area of my wheel/tire when I pulled the e-brake). I have a 2011 E92 MT with approx 8000 miles.. I'll post of it comes back.. Good luck fellas!
Mods: Interior - Hardwire 9500xi, full LED light kit --- Exterior - Gloss black hood vents, BMW edition kidney grills and side gills, tinted LED side blinker, color matched reflectors, keyhole delete, Angel iBright V4.0, BMW performance spoiler, Vorsteiner VRS rep front spoiler --- Performance - MS high flow air filter, challenge race x-pipe, challenge exhaust, BPM stage 2 tune
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #96
ceesar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Convertible

Garage List
Yup, I've experienced this as well - I've taken my E93 to the dealer twice, and on the second visit, they dissambled the entire driver's side wheel assembly ... which appeared to solve the problem for a couple of weeks, then it came back again this weekend.

Only happens in reverse, and only on the left side (drivers side) rear wheel well.
2012 M3 Convertible, Jerez Black, Fox Red || 27/Aug : placed orded || 2/Nov : Entered production || 15/Nov : Finished production || 16/Nov : At the port waiting loading || 22/Nov : on a boat en-route to the West Coast || 29/Dec : arrives at dealer || 31/Dec : collected it, and loving every second of it since!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #97
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceesar View Post
Yup, I've experienced this as well - I've taken my E93 to the dealer twice, and on the second visit, they dissambled the entire driver's side wheel assembly ... which appeared to solve the problem for a couple of weeks, then it came back again this weekend.

Only happens in reverse, and only on the left side (drivers side) rear wheel well.
ah the dreaded cow-bell... i found a fix on another thread. i noticed this too especially after driving in a hard rain. but the fix? brake hard a few times. it has worked to get rid of the sound every time... and gives me an excuse to race into a red light.

it makes me think it really is debris getting caught where it shouldn't. i never have tried the e-brake fix as the brake hard fix has worked for me every time.
      04-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #98
E92Hwo2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 E92/M4 F82/M5 F10 /X5 F15/

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Same thing happens on my 2011 M too for most of u guys went to deal to check but I went to my Frds shop to check it and I have been told the sounds it's coming from E-break and hitting the metal behide router of my rear right side and I thought I'm the only one having this kinda problem but now most likely it's design problem , and the shop attached some sort of liquid oil ( no idea wut it is ) on my E break and the problem is gone I also been told if the sounds pop out again u just need to pull up ur e break and moving forward a bit and reverse a bit after that it should be gone
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #99
Mimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 13'

Garage List
2013 e92 m3  [0.00]
Hey all !!!

the fix for me was:

on a cold start: after you get out of your garage or parking space reserve backwards really fast up to 10 mph and then brake really hard... afterwards go forwards bunching it hard and going 20 mph and braking hard... haven't heard it since...

i also did the ebrake and driving forward slowly enough to move the car 2-3 mph.. like a 1-2 yards...

hope this help you alll.
Appreciate 0