BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
One important thing to consider IMO is the history of the tuner. Dinan has been around for so long and is top notch no doubt. I know their warranty stuff with BMW is a bit different now but the fact that BMW did warranty their parts speaks volumes about their products. Even their warranty now is still outstanding. The history and quality of Dinan is unsurpassed. They are BMW's "go to" tuner! They have always been ranked number one in my book and many others. It's not only about the power or numbers a product puts out. As a company, it is VERY hard to put anyone ahead of them!
Never impressed by Dinan maybe its the $1000 price tags they put on $300-$400 dollar items?

The stroker motor they make is pretty sick, but not at $26,000? I mean really?
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

It's expensive but its like OEM quality. In some cases you pay for what you get. I would trust Dinan more than any tuner with my car. They definitely aren't for the value minded consumer but it is Dinan after all!

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #25
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Love my ESS, especially the flashloader where I can switch between tunes or back to stock. But would totally be comfortable with Dinan...most dealers (if not all) will honor the mods/warranty, if not Dinan will back up with their own warranty, and don't forget that Dinan regularly tunes and modifies BMWs/M cars, Ferraris, and other brand engines (e.g Toyota) for racing and is one of the few guys in North America that can successfully bore out blocks on M engines without using sleeves. If you ever see some videos from Steve Dinan on youtube talking about the errors he found on the M5 intake (and that BMW corrected on the M3), you know this guy knows exactly what he's talking about. They are also highly professional and don't play tuner tit-for-tat, he said/she said games. Only criticism is that I've been less than impressed with the service advisor guys at the Dinan company owned service centers and those at the Morgan Hill HQ responsible for dealing with customer questions about performance part specifics. But engineering wise, they are really impressive.

Last edited by FogCityM3; 02-15-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I get that Dinan is very skilled and probably builds some really amazing race products but some of their other stuff is just ridiculous. Why bother with a tune that gives no perceptable difference in driving? Been there with a Dinan tune. For 1k nonetheless. Or an intake elbow for 1k that does nothing. Or bored throttle bodies which any car I have seen dynoed with them (non-m3's) lost power.

Why even bother with a tune if you are going to have customers not get anything out of it. Tuning is not rocket science. Building engines is a different story and if I needed a one-off custom race engine than yes I would go to Dinan but aside from that its just not at all worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #27
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
One important thing to consider IMO is the history of the tuner. Dinan has been around for so long and is top notch no doubt. I know their warranty stuff with BMW is a bit different now but the fact that BMW did warranty their parts speaks volumes about their products. Even their warranty now is still outstanding. The history and quality of Dinan is unsurpassed. They are BMW's "go to" tuner! They have always been ranked number one in my book and many others. It's not only about the power or numbers a product puts out. As a company, it is VERY hard to put anyone ahead of them!
ESS Tuning also offers a warranty on all their hardware and software components for 2 years/unlimited miles.
See this link for more details -->http://www.esstuning.com/pages/Warranty-Info.html

I wanted to make everyone aware as some may not know about the warranty that ESS Tuning offers, which is very similar to the warranty Dinan offers.

Hope this helps.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #28
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
I get that Dinan is very skilled and probably builds some really amazing race products but some of their other stuff is just ridiculous. Why bother with a tune that gives no perceptable difference in driving? Been there with a Dinan tune. For 1k nonetheless. Or an intake elbow for 1k that does nothing. Or bored throttle bodies which any car I have seen dynoed with them (non-m3's) lost power.

Why even bother with a tune if you are going to have customers not get anything out of it. Tuning is not rocket science. Building engines is a different story and if I needed a one-off custom race engine than yes I would go to Dinan but aside from that its just not at all worth it
+1 prices are just dumb.. I can't get past that to look at anything else Dinan has to offer. There are quality manufactures ESS being one of them that I'd rather look into.
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare
Quote:
ESS Tuning also offers a warranty on all their hardware and software components for 2 years/unlimited miles.
See this link for more details -->http://www.esstuning.com/pages/Warranty-Info.html

I wanted to make everyone aware as some may not know about the warranty that ESS Tuning offers, which is very similar to the warranty Dinan offers.

Hope this helps.

It's very common for manufacturers to warranty their own parts. What is different with dinan is that they cover the rest of the car for issues caused by their parts.

" The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts."
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #30
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Exactly...every one backs up their stuff with a 2 year warranty, from ESS to Active to Evolve to probably every decent tuner out there. Any one that doesn't have a two year warranty shouldn't be in the game. Active has been on point with any of my warranty issues above and beyond their responsibility.

However, Dinan takes it to another level! As the above post mentions, they will cover much more than the others and of course free labor too! I don't think other tuners will reimburse you labor costs.

There are many quality tuners out there but if you know the history and what Dinan has done...they are just on another level.

BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #31
NikB316
Captain
Rep

Biglare,
How are you enjoying the 1M? Not sure if you remember but I was just a few grand away from buying your M back in like September! I made you an offer that you couldn't refuse but you refused it

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:45 AM   #32
F80 M Freak
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Refreshing to hear from one's actual experiences instead of a popularity contest.

Thanks for sharing.
Hi, does ESS offer GTS feature only tune(burble)?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #33
R_lara
First Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E90 2009 M3 Ess VT2650, F30 33

ESS here very happy and solid Runing Vt2650 Kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #34
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80 M Freak View Post
Hi, does ESS offer GTS feature only tune(burble)?
No, they do not. Focused on Performance and Drivability only.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0