BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #23
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Any update OP? I'm guessing something is wrong with your injectors or fueling. I'm sure the shop that installed the ess kit can figure it out

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #24
jlee403
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
You didn't perchance let your fuel tank run low?
i mean i fill up a full tank whenever i get to a quarter tank. 3 quarters will normally last me 3 days
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #25
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee403 View Post
to be honest, yes, i was driving quite aggressively before this happened in the same drive. Id say i drive normally 60% of the time and quite fast the remaining 40% of the time. The day this happened, i warmed up my car for about 10-15 minutes like i do every morning. Drove it fairly hard, but not exceeding 60mph within the first 5 minutes of driving. Error popped up about 6 minutes into driving… literally a minute or so after i started to slow down. 99% of the time i don't start driving my car unless the redline goes up to at least 8000. Normal morning routine is to turn on my car before hopping in the shower.

This is not the first standard car I've owned so my driving shouldn't be the main cause of the problem. Any driver related problems this could be? Im not sure if it helps, but i got an oil change about 500 miles ago.

Sorry if I'm a little less informed than others, but how can i get the error code? Im driving my other car at the moment and keeping the m3 garaged until i take it into the dealership this upcoming monday. ill keep you guys posted on updates

Thanks again for all the help guys.
-James
You turn your car on and then hop in the shower? That's a really long warm up unless you shit shower and shave in 60 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #26
M33too
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

looks like throttle actuator to me
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #27
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

I had similar symptoms recently @ 20k. Took mine into dealer and they diagnosed it as a faulty idle control device. This I think is a pretty common issues with these cars. They had to get the part overnighted, but it's a pretty easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #28
DansBMW
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93 Convertible

Reduced Power

Hi Mike! Dan'O here. My car E93 M3 is now witnessing these symptoms. What was the final lab test on this symptom? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #29
DansBMW
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee403 View Post
This just happened to me this morning as i was making a right turn. car throttle felt a little different after the error message came up. biggest tell tale sign that we have the same problem is the redline jumped up to about 4500 rpm and doesn't drop from that point. Only thing scaring me is unlike some of the others on this thread, my car does not have any forced induction of any sort added. car is bone stock so I'm a little scared… any input before i take it to the dealership??

2008 e92 m3
48,xxx miles

Thanks in advance for the input
-James
Sir James ...Dan'O here. My car E93 M3 is now witnessing these symptoms. What was the final lab test on this symptom? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #30
Kash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 DCT AW/FR

There is a chance this could be due to faulty high pressure fuel vacuum sensor.
      05-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #31
SickJames10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I got the same thing on my car a few weeks ago. It happened to be a throttle actuator.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #32
key428
E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe Jerez Black DCT

Engine Malfunction

After I upgraded my SC from ESS 585 to 625, I experienced the dreaded 'Engine Malfunction' while traveling from IND (Illinois) to the MFest in Las Vegas.

Just prior to the 'Engine Malfunction', I filled up with gas in Missouri (tank @ a little less than 1/4 full). Was unable to locate a filling station before getting that low. Within minutes, I was in trouble. I limped along for what seemed like hours. Along the way I added octain booster, fuel additives and additional Shell high test gasoline, but finally I could no longer climb a steep incline near Arkansas.

Luckily I flagged down a tow truck and was taken on a flatbed to the nearest BMW dealer in Arkansas.

The following codes were thrown;

The codes thrown were as follows;
002716 DME camshaft sensor, inlet bank 1
002717 DME camshaft sensor, exhaust, bank 1
002718 DME camshaft sensor, inlet bank 2
002719 DME camshaft sensor, exhaust, bank 2
00271E DME camshafts, sync
00278E DME oil condition sensor
0027B2 DME secondary air system flow rate, main branch
002B54 DME control module internal fault
005E5B DSC DSC button
005FFO EDC CAN messages (vehicle speed) from DSC
005FF7 EDC CAN messages (steering angle) from SZ1
005FF8 EDC CAN messages (vehicle speed) from DSC

I contacted IND in Illinois and told them the codes and also my gas experience followed by octane booster, additives and topping off with high test gasoline.
IND directed me to have the technician clear the codes and to retry driving my M. After clearing the codes, my car performed flawlessly again.

Apparently, I was told that the levels of ethanol in some small stations around Missouri can be greater than 10%. I believe that this along with letting my fuel level get too low caused the problem.

Many thanks to IND (Ilia and Nate) for their great work and diagnosis of my problem. The SC 625 addition is awesome.
      01-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #33
Abdullah.FRZN.M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 Frozen Blue

Sorry to revive a (somewhat) old thread. I've been having a similar problem in my M today. I just got a catless x pipe installed and a few miles after install the cel came on for increased emissions. This was expected, of course.

After a while of driving relatively hard and enjoying the new sound, I was running low on gas (about a quarter left). So here's where this gets interesting. I live in Missouri. I filled up at the gas station I always fill up at, and filled it with 93 (as always; I know I really only need 91 but whatever). After some more time driving pretty hard, taking it to redline a couple times, as I was arriving home, the half-engine light came on, the redline dropped to 4500ish, and the nav said "engine malfunction: reduced power". I turn it off, turn it back on, and it's gone. I drive kinda hard for a few more minutes, and it comes back as I'm slowing down. Turned off and back on and it's gone again. Now I know it seems to be triggered by hard driving. I've driven it the rest of the day now very moderately (in auto mode, or sequential but shortshifting alot). Since then I never got the warning again. I'm scared to try pushing the car now because of the possibility that the code might show up again.

I fill up at the same gas station basically all the time, and this never happened until after the xpipe was put in. So what could be the cause of this? I don't have a code reader of my own to see what codes are thrown, but I will probably take it to my BMW dealer to see what's up. Could it be an exhaust leak? Would a leak even cause such a code after driving hard?

Is there some sort of run-in time for going catless that I should follow, so that I can drive the car hard after a certain amount of miles as it gets adjusted to the new power that comes with cat removal? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Abdullah.FRZN.M3; 01-07-2017 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #34
kooolaid
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 Lexus GS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROZ3N View Post
Sorry to revive a (somewhat) old thread. I've been having a similar problem in my M today. I just got a catless x pipe installed and a few miles after install the cel came on for increased emissions. This was expected, of course.

After a while of driving relatively hard and enjoying the new sound, I was running low on gas (about a quarter left). So here's where this gets interesting. I live in Missouri. I filled up at the gas station I always fill up at, and filled it with 93 (as always; I know I really only need 91 but whatever). After some more time driving pretty hard, taking it to redline a couple times, as I was arriving home, the half-engine light came on, the redline dropped to 4500ish, and the nav said "engine malfunction: reduced power". I turn it off, turn it back on, and it's gone. I drive kinda hard for a few more minutes, and it comes back as I'm slowing down. Turned off and back on and it's gone again. Now I know it seems to be triggered by hard driving. I've driven it the rest of the day now very moderately (in auto mode, or sequential but shortshifting alot). Since then I never got the warning again. I'm scared to try pushing the car now because of the possibility that the code might show up again.

I fill up at the same gas station basically all the time, and this never happened until after the xpipe was put in. So what could be the cause of this? I don't have a code reader of my own to see what codes are thrown, but I will probably take it to my BMW dealer to see what's up. Could it be an exhaust leak? Would a leak even cause such a code after driving hard?

Is there some sort of run-in time for going catless that I should follow, so that I can drive the car hard after a certain amount of miles as it gets adjusted to the new power that comes with cat removal? Any help would be appreciated.
Probably the infamous throttle actuator...this part has extended warranty for 7 years if your original warranty expired at 4 years or 50000 miles (or was it 40000?).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #35
chrisg123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Scion xB

This is happening to my aa sc e92 m3 2008 with 50k miles. 16k miles with sc level 2. :-(
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #36
Harrry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Mine occured after tuning the car after installing the test pipes.

In M mode it went away...but without M mode it was kicking on the engine light.

So if it is showing the same systems i was told it was a mapping issue with the tune. If it does it in Either regular driving or M Mode then throttle actuator valve.
Might as well change out the gears if you plan on doing this yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #37
Guray77
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

hello from istanbul turkey ,

i'm new to forum and i've got 2010 e90 m3 56k miles

i recently changed the rod bearings like 500 miles ago

The car has ipe valvetronic with xpipe

i'm having an issue and i couldn't figure it out neither my local services and dealer

the issue is the car shows engine light like when i'm going slow and mostly going down from a hill like 1900 rpm 10-15 km/h .

if i shut down the car and restart it the engine light is not there anymore

the engine faults i've got is

2b35 missfire cylindre 1
2b36 missfire cylindre 2
2b37 missfire cylindre 3
2b38 missfire cylindre 4
2b41

i've changed the plugs because first we thought i'm having the issue because of it then it didn't stop

after we changed the places of coils 1-4 to 5-8 but i still have the same engine faults 1 to 4 misfire

last thing we did we changed the places of forgive me i don't know the name the mechanism which is open and closes the throttles but again i had the same fault.

i searched internet and this forum i couldnt find an answer

btw mostly the car having this engine fault at colder weather like below 3 degrees

is there anyone can help me about this please because i'm going to be crazy about it

thanks everyone !

Last edited by Guray77; 02-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #38
GSTE34
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 turbo E90m3

I am also having a misfire issue. I did just an axle back install. As I'm just cruising on the freeway 50mph in 5th gear I go to press on the accelerator car kind of bogged down and same warning as all came on. Started to misfire so I changed plugs since they were really old due to previous owner. One coil ended up being bad so I went ahead and replaced it as well. Cleared the codes and the vehicle continues to misfire cylinder 3, switched injector over to another cylinder but the misfire continued on cylinder 3 and it's really starting to get to me. Car had 3/4 tank of gas and when it happened I am really confused. I have never delt with such an issue like this before only codes I'm able to pull are generic. I'm loosing my damn mind 😡
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #39
woody888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 & F80 M3

Do you find the result of the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSTE34 View Post
I am also having a misfire issue. I did just an axle back install. As I'm just cruising on the freeway 50mph in 5th gear I go to press on the accelerator car kind of bogged down and same warning as all came on. Started to misfire so I changed plugs since they were really old due to previous owner. One coil ended up being bad so I went ahead and replaced it as well. Cleared the codes and the vehicle continues to misfire cylinder 3, switched injector over to another cylinder but the misfire continued on cylinder 3 and it's really starting to get to me. Car had 3/4 tank of gas and when it happened I am really confused. I have never delt with such an issue like this before only codes I'm able to pull are generic. I'm loosing my damn mind 😡
Appreciate 0