BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Updated! Moving to San Francisco

EDIT:
Awesome Update:

So I was formally offered the position today! Super psyched. I want to be as close to my office as reasonably possible.

We have a bid on a space on 11st between Folsom and Mission St.

Since I already got some input from you dudes, anyone familiar with the area?

Hi all

I have a great opportunity to take a new role and responsibility with my job that would require me to move from NJ to San Fran.

I\'ve been to SF twice but it was only for flight layovers, so not much time spent really enjoying it.

Can those who know it well fire off some thoughts and advice?

Places to live (24yrs old)

Areas to avoid at night

Best places to visit / need to experience

How is parking out there?

Public transportation easy and convienient?

Trying to get my buddy to move from Newport Beach to up north, he lol\'d.

Last edited by Quick6EF; 12-10-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Do it.. Such a better quality of life when compared to ny/nj. Sister has lived out there for a few years now and loves it. Different lifestyle for sure though.
      11-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Hi all

I have a great opportunity to take a new role and responsibility with my job that would require me to move from NJ to San Fran.

I\'ve been to SF twice but it was only for flight layovers, so not much time spent really enjoying it.

You possibly have very two different options: Mission/SOMA or Pac Heights/North Beach. You will find Mission/SOMA to be more cultural and lean back. Lots of parks and the warmest place in SF. Pac Heights/North Beach are much more $$$ but much more safer and refined also. Most of the clubs are in North Beach (some in SOMA too), but North Beach has some kind of a charm you can't really explain. VERY safe (compared to the rest of SF), very nice and very chill place to live. I would recommend NB if you can.
Areas to avoid at night
Mission, beyond 24th. Tenderloin and Civic.
A LOT. Golden Gate, Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, all the neighbourhoods, City Hall, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, game of Giants/49ers/Raiders, Santa Cruz, China Town, Dolores Park... and a lot more
If you live further West, like Inner Richmond and so on, no problem. Same for like Potrero Hill and further down North. Downtown can be difficult, but if you live within a huge building, I am sure they will have a place you.
VERY. That's all I have to say. And somewhat cheap too.

Good luck with that lol. People from SoCal wouldn't want to move up north because of the weather... and btw, it is not like 27 in SF. More like 15-20 all year long, but with wind. But it is an AWESOME city, I would def go if I were you. Loved my time there.

I lived there during 4 months. I'll try to do my best.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I've gone there for a week on two occasions and loved it both times. My only complaint is the homeless problem which I really hope they rectify because it's an amazing city. North Beach is where I would probably aim to live. As for things to do... Alcatraz is an awesome experience in town and driving would obviously be the wine areas (Napa, Sonoma) and south would be the Monterrey area (pebble beach, etc.) and Big Sur. I LOVED Big Sur. Amazingly beautiful coastline and drastically different from the east coast.

Coming from the NYC area, it feels like more of a town than a city. Very friendly people as well.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
Hi all

There are a lot of neighborhood to live in depending on the lifestyle you want. Marina in the north and North Beach towards the middle of downtown are both very walkalble neighborhoods and are both like cities within a city. Both have a lot of restaurants and bars and places to hang out. North beach has a more italian fare since it was where the italians settled back in the days, and the neighborhood is close to the central "adult" neighborhood with tons of strips clubs...that could be a good or bad thing depending on what you want. South of market is nice but is a more recent development (the last 10 years) and while all the apartments and condos are more luxurious, it is more expensive and the neighborhood itself is still being developed. Lower pacific heights/hayes valley is also nice neighborhood but smaller than marina and north beach. Nob hill/russian hill is also a very nice neighborhood with easy walkability to everything. There are seriously way too many places to name off but those are some of the more popular places. There's the entire western part of SF that's past Japan town area but it's a bit further out there and has entire life of its own, but if you want you can look up inner/outter richmond, inner/outter sunset, ocean beach, japan town, for a few examples.

Areas to avoid at night

as a new sf resident, prob tenderloin area which is south of nob hill. but as you grow accustomed to living here it becomes less and less of a deal. people go through there at night all the time, just be smart about it. south of market on 6th street is an entire different story though, it's always been a rough neighborhood at night, so not the best place to be at past midnight.

all the parks (presidio, golden gate park), alcatraz, napa valley, walking/biking through the city and golden gate part, academy of sciences, the ball park, south bay in the peninsula

sucks balls

public transportation is easy and convenient to an extent, but the org that runs it and the people working for them are incompetent so there are always a lot of delays/no shows, etc, but nothing you can really do about it. it gets the job done.

here's a fairly quick summary for now, i'll try to add more later
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate your responses so far guys
      11-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

I hope you don't intend to drive a nice car in the city, especially through Chinatown. Worst drivers in the U.S. They will literally put their car on your bumper to try to get you to move lanes, slightly nudge you from the side to try and get into your lane. Driving a nice car in S.F is just frustrating unless you stick to The "Great Highway", the 280, 80, or 101.

Just look at the bumper of any random car in S.F and you'll see it's better to just use MUNI to get around instead of driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
let me get this straight....you're "considering" getting out of that dump New Jersey and moving to our great city of San Francisco....lol just start packing broz
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I don't live in the city but I know that it's pricey. I know a few people who live outside the city and take BART which is similar to the subway systems over in your area, so worst case you can expand your living possibilities to somewhere outside of SF as well. I'm sure the SF guys will chime in with their input.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Been thinking about it lately too. I'm tired of NY. Mostly for me it will because of 1) weather 2) start- up culture.
      11-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
jj thumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

Everything depends on where you will be working and how comfortable of a commute you want.

A lot of the places previously mentioned are the most expensive parts of the city. If you work downtown, look into Emeryville. Its just over the Bay Bridge and closer in many aspects than Sunset or Richmond districts.

If money was no object I would rent/but a loft in SOMA around 3 or 4th street. Anything after 8th street gets a little shady. Then again depends on your perspective.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
let me get this straight....you're "considering" getting out of that dump New Jersey and moving to our great city of San Francisco....lol just start packing broz
Lol f u. So u live there? Post up some good places to look for housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I hope you don't intend to drive a nice car in the city, especially through Chinatown. Worst drivers in the U.S. They will literally put their car on your bumper to try to get you to move lanes, slightly nudge you from the side to try and get into your lane. Driving a nice car in S.F is just frustrating unless you stick to The "Great Highway", the 280, 80, or 101.

Just look at the bumper of any random car in S.F and you'll see it's better to just use MUNI to get around instead of driving.
Sold the 3er last month

I commute to and from nyc each day.
      11-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol f u. So u live there? Post up some good places to look for housing. .
los angeles brah...but check the California section of the forums..i think there was a similar discussion re housing in the 1er Cali forum
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #14
balmain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Don't live in either, so couldn't less, but nobody from LA of all places is in a position to call anywhere a dump.

I'm in LA regularly and LA reminds me of Tijuana. What a shithole.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 01:48 AM   #15
driersheets
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

stay jerseyy bro jk. LEAVE ASAP
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #16
driersheets
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Don't live in either, so couldn't less, but nobody from LA of all places is in a position to call anywhere a dump.

oh shut it
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #17
balmain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by driersheets View Post

oh shut it
Is there a problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #18
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Don't live in either, so couldn't less, but nobody from LA of all places is in aw position to call anywhere a dump.

Don't b mad if u haven't been to the westside lols
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #19
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Your car's stance will instantly become legit. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Quick6EF