BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-29-2024, 09:44 AM   #1
askme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Vert E93

E90x M3 Power Steering Pump replacement - how hard?

I have the older 2008 clockwise PS pump that is having issues. I was able to get a replacement and was planning on doing the swap, but am having a hard time finding How-to's. This has given me pause and leads me to believe it is a bitch.

I have seen the one pseudo-DIY on here, but it seems more solving problems of Supercharger issues.

I have a reasonable quote ($800 labor) from a local shop that probably doesn't really know what they are doing, but it would at least be their problem.

It looks like it would be as simple as drain fluid, radiator out, belt off, unbolt old pump, unhook old lines, reverse with new pump. All of which I can tackle (e.g. alternator was a 45 min job). But if there is some deeper hidden issue, access problems, unreachable connector, etc. I'd just as soon send it to the questionable shop.

Anyone know how hard it is to replace an S65 Power Steering Pump?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 03:10 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

You checked this: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755964

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446885
Appreciate 1
askme80.50
      03-30-2024, 08:55 AM   #3
askme
Private First Class
Rep

Saw both. Very helpful. First guy has a G1 SC and most of the thread was working around that. Some very helpful stuff on feed lines.

The second guy bought the wrong pump and rather than get the right part redid his whole damn belt system.

I think I have the right pump and have no supercharger (sad). So, fingers crossed, I don’t have their issues.

Side note, I was so anxious about getting the right pump, I somehow got directly connected to the engineers in China making the pump and ended up have nightly text chats with them complete with build pics and specs along the way. They seemed to be having fun talking to an American and I was having fun getting into the manufacturing process.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2024, 09:18 AM   #4
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Seems like the only way to make this less complicated is to buy a supercharger lol
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 11:40 AM   #5
askme
Private First Class
Rep

So for posterity, I decided to take a whack and see how far I got. Getting AH out, Fan out, and belts off is straightforward. That gave me enough access to really understand Davisca45's instructions. He goes into detail on how one needs to get to the various connections that require much more work than I was anticipating. More work means I am more likely to screw something up, to break something or do it wrong. I decided I have more money than time/skill and I will hire it out. Put it all back together and off to the shop I will go.
Appreciate 0