BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #23
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphaus View Post
if the CF roof changed the performance of the car I would have gotten it for that reason alone.
It does. It lowers the center of gravity of the car for better handling. Most drivers won't notice it, but if you push the car to the brink you might.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #24
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I got the CF roof - NO REGRETS - Luvin it!
      09-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #25
Ramphaus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Melbourne Red/Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Horwitz View Post
It does. It lowers the center of gravity of the car for better handling. Most drivers won't notice it, but if you push the car to the brink you might.
any documented evidence that it demonstrates an actual, rather than theoretical, performance difference though?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #26
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

CF FTW!!!

I don't see the point of a sunroof: If you don't care about performance and looks --> get the vert!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #27
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Does your current car have a moonroof? Mine does. I've been driving around with it closed, even when the weather is beautiful, to see if I can do it. It's very, very hard. My moonroof is tempting me. It's a little different when its actually there, and you are trying to pretend its not , but I know that I noticed just how much I use it by trying to not use it...

If that makes sense I still think I'll go with CF. My IS will still have a moonroof if I really feel it calling.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #28
jerseykid
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Funny, I've been doing the same thing over the past few weeks lol!

Not to mention I haven't sleep in three days contemplating this since I have to make a decision today. As you can see from how I used "sleep" instead of slept...Its starting to catch up to me.

Last edited by jerseykid; 09-15-2008 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #29
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
c/f roof helps the M3 stand out from the crowd. Go for E93 if you are considering a sunroof!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #30
e90330msport
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 DCT

CF all the way, makes it an ///M.

Sunroof is for 335 owners......
      09-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #31
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

indecisive people FTL. Choose what you like and get on with you life
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #32
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90330msport View Post
CF all the way, makes it an ///M.

Sunroof is for 335 owners......

thats not true - the MR is for women that want to drive an M car!
      09-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #33
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

you can always get the MR and then add the CF splitter and trunklid like this guy did to save wieght?

09-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #34
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

i went with the moonroof since i actually use it all the time. i like driving windows up and moonroof back. although i do prefer the look of the CF roof more, I'd actually get use out of the moonroof.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #35
CMOS
Private
Rep
Drives: Carrera 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
It's pretty cool to be one of the only cars on the road with a CF roof. But I think this probably will be my last car with a CF roof. As stated before it's more of a novelty than anything else. I have a feeling three years from now when I buy a new car I will be sick of seeing CF. A moonroof actually serves a purpose and is nice to have the option to open it. Plus moonroofs never go out of style. I have a feeling CF will. It's way to trendy to cover everything in CF now and buy every CF accessory available. That being said, no I have no regrets getting a CF roof.
Very good point. The CF craze has gone way overboard, especially with regard to interior trim options and other totally nonfunctional uses.

However, CF was popularized because it's very strong yet very light. Making a roof out of CF is EXACTLY what CF should be used for. So that should give the CF roof some staying power. Interesting that you can make the car super sporty or super luxo.

Sporty would be the CF roof, with the CF leather trim and black leather.
Luxo would be the sunroof, wood trim, and bamboo beige leather.

Maybe CF is here to stay. I don't see aluminum or wood trim replacing it anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #36
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOS View Post
Very good point. The CF craze has gone way overboard, especially with regard to interior trim options and other totally nonfunctional uses.

However, CF was popularized because it's very strong yet very light. Making a roof out of CF is EXACTLY what CF should be used for. So that should give the CF roof some staying power. Interesting that you can make the car super sporty or super luxo.

Sporty would be the CF roof, with the CF leather trim and black leather.
Luxo would be the sunroof, wood trim, and bamboo beige leather.

Maybe CF is here to stay. I don't see aluminum or wood trim replacing it anytime soon.
I do think CF is great. More parts of cars should be made out of CF because it's a great material, super strong and lightweight. What gets old to me about it is using it in useless applications like covering your side mirrors, and I do get tired of seeing the CF weave on everything. It would be cool if you could get a painted CF roof. Or if the hood was made out of CF to and have that painted too. You'd get all the advantages of the CF without seeing that criss cross pattern on every surface. It's the looking at that pattern everywhere that gets old to me after awhile.
      09-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #37
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Both! Sunroof for functionality and luxury, CF for aesthetics. Bitchin' combo. If it were only reasonably possible.

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #38
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP1KRR View Post
Both! Sunroof for functionality and luxury, CF for aesthetics. Bitchin' combo. If it were only reasonably possible.

doh! CF roof is not for aesthitics although thats a side benifit- its for less wiwght- adding the MR adds 55 to 65 pounds at the highest point of the car.
      09-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #39
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphaus View Post
any documented evidence that it demonstrates an actual, rather than theoretical, performance difference though?
I think it has been pretty well established that you want the center of gravity as low and centered as possible, in any car, to maximize handling. (It's basically the cardinal rule of Formula 1.) As mentioned above, you are shedding a bit over 50 pounds from the car but, most importantly, removing it from literally the highest point on the car. (I'd guess that the car is a touch more rigid as well.) Most people probably won't notice the difference, but it is there if you push the car hard enough. With a steel roof, this is the case if you delete the sunroof. With a carbon skin and no sunroof, compared to a steel roof with, the difference is further pronounced. Again, most people won't notice, but I have a habit of breaking the ass loose on the car on my morning commute, and every extra drop of grip is appreciated. (and enjoyed)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #40
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I used the sunroof on my E36 all the time, I thought I was going to miss it on the E92...I don't. The nice thing is the aerodynamics of the E92 make it easy to drive at highway speeds with the windows down without the excessive noise normally associated with window down driving. It makes up for not having a sunroof IMHO.
      09-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #41
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
doh! CF roof is not for aesthitics although thats a side benifit- its for less wiwght- adding the MR adds 55 to 65 pounds at the highest point of the car.
Der.

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #42
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

Quote:
you can always get the MR and then add the CF splitter and trunklid like this guy did to save wieght?

That just puts all the sunroof haters in their place - CF is nice but this just looks so fucking HOT
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #43
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
On paper it makes technical sense but where is the track evidence of this little engineering feat? numbers talk, bullshit marketing walks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #44
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Horwitz View Post
I think it has been pretty well established that you want the center of gravity as low and centered as possible, in any car, to maximize handling. (It's basically the cardinal rule of Formula 1.) As mentioned above, you are shedding a bit over 50 pounds from the car but, most importantly, removing it from literally the highest point on the car. (I'd guess that the car is a touch more rigid as well.) Most people probably won't notice the difference, but it is there if you push the car hard enough. With a steel roof, this is the case if you delete the sunroof. With a carbon skin and no sunroof, compared to a steel roof with, the difference is further pronounced. Again, most people won't notice, but I have a habit of breaking the ass loose on the car on my morning commute, and every extra drop of grip is appreciated. (and enjoyed)
Have you driven a sunroof equiped car along the same route and actually noticed a difference? I to your driving god greatness coz I could not tell a gnats ball whisker difference between the 2 on a track testdrive before I got my car. The pro instructor admitted that there is no difference in performance between the 2 cars and actually mentioned that the sedan fully equipped is few hundreths of a second faster than the loaded coupe with CF roof.Why? Aero plays a role in this regard I think. My average times were slightly slower on 19inch CF roof car compared to 18inch CF roof car if its worth anything but I got the 19s for the look.
Appreciate 0