BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

06-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
my point exactly M3 beats the rs5 and crushes the s5.
your point? I'm not an Audi advocate if you're referring to my username, what the S5 lacks in performance it makes up for in looks....RS5? Will best an M3 around most tracks, in the hands of a pro, or even a novice. This is coming from someone who's happily owned an e90 M3 for 2 years almost. Just pointing out the M5 is no longer what it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #24
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
my point exactly M3 beats the rs5 and crushes the s5.
your point? I'm not an Audi advocate if you're referring to my username, what the S5 lacks in performance it makes up for in looks....RS5? Will best an M3 around most tracks, in the hands of a pro, or even a novice. This is coming from someone who's happily owned an e90 M3 for 2 years almost. Just pointing out the M5 is no longer what it used to be.
I had a little light to long straight away action with an s4 today in my stock 335. I can tell he was finally excited to put a BMW to shame. Unfortunately for him his gearing sucked. It was a great race (and we did a rolling pull as well) but I kept pulling where he had to shift and then when I did shift he didn't make up any room. I know the 335 pulls like a champ with a tune but mine was on stock psi so I was pretty proud of my 7psi n54. Makes me want to re race him with the 14psi and leave him scratching his head
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
I had a little light to long straight away action with an s4 today in my stock 335. I can tell he was finally excited to put a BMW to shame. Unfortunately for him his gearing sucked. It was a great race (and we did a rolling pull as well) but I kept pulling where he had to shift and then when I did shift he didn't make up any room. I know the 335 pulls like a champ with a tune but mine was on stock psi so I was pretty proud of my 7psi n54. Makes me want to re race him with the 14psi and leave him scratching his head

Fortunately for you, you ran into someone who clearly couldn't drive the car. Those cars are putting down quarter mile times with tunes only that 335's with FBO can barely match.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
DeepSeaLandry
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT

So I went to the local shop yesterday and asked my sales guy about the M6 (based on some recommendations from you all). Of course they are not out here in the States yet, but I did sit in a few 6 series coupes and crunch the numbers with him. I definately think it is more of an option than before and sort of fits the bill as far as performance sporty above an M3. Still pretty heavy and pricey but I think it could work. I also have an appointment with Jaguar to try out an XK RS-5 that they have here

I'll keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS5
Quote:

Fortunately for you, you ran into someone who clearly couldn't drive the car. Those cars are putting down quarter mile times with tunes only that 335's with FBO can barely match.
Well we went from a stop and I beat him by 2/3-1 car length (ok maybe driving) and then we went from a roll and I beat him by 1 car length. no talent required mr s5
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #28
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Well we went from a stop and I beat him by 2/3-1 car length (ok maybe driving) and then we went from a roll and I beat him by 1 car length. no talent required mr s5
If no talent was required, monkeys could do it.. oh hold on, street racers are monkeys
      06-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #29
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Regarding the original post, it is funny what the definition of terms like "raw" and "sporty" became...
      06-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaLandry View Post
So I went to the local shop yesterday and asked my sales guy about the M6 (based on some recommendations from you all). Of course they are not out here in the States yet, but I did sit in a few 6 series coupes and crunch the numbers with him. I definately think it is more of an option than before and sort of fits the bill as far as performance sporty above an M3. Still pretty heavy and pricey but I think it could work. I also have an appointment with Jaguar to try out an XK RS-5 that they have here

I'll keep you posted!
You are on the right track sir. Both stunning cars...

Neither will drive as "sporty" as the M3; but they satisfy your other requirements.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Good suggestion.
+2, if more sporty look you desire go M6

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

I am dealing with same dilemna....plus, the M5 , while a beast, simply looks subdued. Much as I loves me some bimmers, I am likely getting a Panamera GTS or a Merc AMG CLS 63 as my ride in a few months when this lease is up

Last edited by cole328; 06-15-2012 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
PaneristiDriver
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole328 View Post
I am dealing with same dilemna....plus, the M% , while a beast, simply looks subdued. Much as I loves me some bimmers, I am likely getting a Panamera GTS or a Merc AMG CLS 63 as my ride in a few months when this lease is up
Panamera GTS handling is absolutely sublime as well as the entoxicating sound of that V8!! As good a handling car as the Panamera Turbo/Turbo S are (better than the M5) its even better.
The CLS63 is a pretty sick car too. The m5 does look very drab while the Panamera is unique (love it or hate it) and has more road pressence than either the m5 or CLS63, though the CLS is close.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #34
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiDriver View Post
Panamera GTS handling is absolutely sublime as well as the entoxicating sound of that V8!! As good a handling car as the Panamera Turbo/Turbo S are (better than the M5) its even better.
The CLS63 is a pretty sick car too. The m5 does look very drab while the Panamera is unique (love it or hate it) and has more road pressence than either the m5 or CLS63, though the CLS is close.
I agree on all of your points. I drove the Panny GTS back to back with the Panny Turbo, and honestly really did prefer the GTS. Plus, it's $40K or cheaper, which is awesome. I concur that both this car as well as the CLS 63 kick the "aesthetic arse" of the M5. As a BMW lover, that is really sad....true, but sad. BMW had an awesome oppt'y to step out of the box and make the M5 look as amazing as it handles....I believe they failed.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #35
DeepSeaLandry
First Lieutenant
Rep

Glad that I am not the only one that is feeling the large gap between the M3 and "insert next upgrade up here". Any thoughts on the Masarati Qattroporte?! I think they look amazing and sound great too, unfortunately there is no Masarati dealer in Hawaii so it is not really an option for me, unless I get creative!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #36
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep

LOVE the look of the maserati....would be very concerned, however, about the reliability factor.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #37
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaLandry View Post
Glad that I am not the only one that is feeling the large gap between the M3 and "insert next upgrade up here". Any thoughts on the Masarati Qattroporte?! I think they look amazing and sound great too, unfortunately there is no Masarati dealer in Hawaii so it is not really an option for me, unless I get creative!
You have great taste in cars.

When I moved to Hawaii 10 years ago, I brought my M there. Then, I quickly realized it was not a place for it and it sat in my garage for 3 years without being driven until I sold it. I bought an SUV and a beater Accord for North Shore duties. I would be afraid parking an M5/M6/Maserati anywhere in public on O'ahu. It is unfortunate that property crime is so bad there.

Good luck with your decision and I really hope nothing happens to whatever car you decide upon.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #38
Andrew_K_AZ
Secret Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (AW/BLK)

I agree that it is hard to beat the combination of performance, appearance, image and value you get from an M3.

Based solely on my personal taste and means, if I wanted to replace my 08 M3 with a bigger car with a bit more power, I would consider a 2008 CL63 AMG with low miles for about +$20K in cash (above the resale value of my car) rather than spending a boatload more or getting strapped down with a huge lease payment for an impressive but rather conservative looking F10 M5.
2008 E92 M3, Alpine White & Black Extended Leather, 6MT with all options. Slightly Moded: BMW M Performance Exhaust, Rear LCI Taillight Retrofit, Angel iBrights, MGP Aluminum Caliper Covers, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers (15mm F and 12.5mm R) with +1 tires, Aluminum Pedals, Black Gloss Front and Hood Grills, Alpine White Side Grills and front reflectors, Active Autowerke Green Performance Filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #39
DeepSeaLandry
First Lieutenant
Rep

You know, the more if search and the more I test drive the more I realize that putting a little money into the M3 might just be more practical and frankly better than the almost double price of "the next level" car. By a little money, i mean a super charger, tune, brakes, and suspension. The care would still be significantly under $100k too.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #40
Aquariu///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

i really think the new M5 is a big disappointment ! Doesn't look aggressive enough for me. There is no muscle to to fenders... just doesn't flare out at all
It just looks like a regular 5 series in sport package.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #41
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
M6 is stunning... I would if I could. Then again, the Panamera interior is amazing. I dont know about the rear end of the car, but the inside... Damn...

Good luck on your quest, Im sure test driving these cars will be a blast...
      06-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #42
DeepSeaLandry
First Lieutenant
Rep

So just wanted to update you all on what I have driven and where I stand on my car choice. I know that I narrowed my selection down to a want for a GT type car (based on my experience in the super fast GTR). So in the last two days on top of my previous test drives, I drove a 2011 Nissan GTR, 2012 Maserati Gran Turismo S, and a 2012 Jaguar XKR-S.

GTR:
Pros - Fastest car I have ever driven
Cons - Its a Nissan, gearbox was clunky, felt too computer assisted, already had strange noises coming from right rear tire area and rear diff (dealer said it was the normal and from the gearbox, but i was happening over bumps)

Maserati:
Pros - Best outside look, super sexy, best sounding car of everything I have driven, its an exclusive italian car.
Cons - Cheap interior that already has things wrong with it (17 miles on the car), most expensive, least powerful car of all the ones I have driven (I believe the M3 is faster)

Jaguar:
Pros - Very fast (lots of TQ/HP), very luxurious interior, great deal
Cons - Its bright blue!

***sigh*** Its a bummer that I am feeling like I have to compromise when I am looking at cars at this level. Truthfully I am really liking the Jag, just not sure about that color. I think it looks great, but I think it is a little "in your face". Just being honest with you all and blasting out what I am thinking. Not complaining or anything. Heh, not a bad problem to have, choosing a high dollar car. As always, I appreciate you feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #43
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
would you consider the M6 coupe?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #44
DeepSeaLandry
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
would you consider the M6 coupe?
Yes I am considering that, however I drove a 650i understanding its not completely the M6 but close. I did not feel like it was very sporty. Nice yes, reliable I am sure, and fast, but there are a TON of BMW's here in Hawaii so its not as exclusive as I would like. That is not a deal breaker tho. Just seems like a very subdued car. We are supposed to be getting a new M6 convertable here on island very soon so I can at least feel the power of an actual M6 and see what the front and rear end looks like. Definately a car on top of my list!
Appreciate 0