BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #45
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

I drive an M3 and I never ever think about the "M3" badge on the rear, I even forget that I am driving one since i drive everyday.

Is the badge really that important to you guys?
"Whoring out" the M badges? You gotta be kidding me...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #46
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by is300wrx View Post
This sounds similar to what Tiffany & Co. went through in the past with their line of intro level jewelry. Their target market was for those who really wanted a piece of jewelry with a Tiffany's name on it at an affordable price. They started to pump out silver jewelry priced so affordable that teenage girls were wearing and they were sharing the same prestigious and precious value of owning a Tiffany's jewelry. Not that this is wrong, but some of the "original" customers were turned off by this and some even sold their Tiffany's jewelry because they felt that their jewelry had lost its exclusivity. After learning this, Tiffany's started to increase the prices on these intro line of jewelry but its safe to assume that what they gained in additional revenue from their more affordable line of jewelry, they took a hit on their image and perceived value.

Same thing could happen with BMW. I personally don't care too much to a point where I would boycott the M brand. Obviously the M division is doing something right if everyone wants to be a part of it (even the ricers who add on a M badge on their civics). But I will be honest and admit that it does bother me just a tad bit. The M cars have always been very special in delivering exceptional performance and also provided exclusiveness to the brand.
Very well stated.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #47
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

I think we should look at Porsche as the example for BMW's new strategy. Porsche started "diluting" its brand a LONG time ago with models like the Boxster, Cayenne, and now the Panamera. And look at how DAMN good the 991 is! Although a Porsche SUV or Sedan seems like blasphemy to many people (me included) it does provide them with the type of money to make the badass 911, and of course the monster that is the 918. Although BMW might be "diluting" the M brand, it will create more revenue which will go to far better "true" M cars. Maybe even a Halo Supercar....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #48
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I agree that throwing M on every automobile BMW produces dilutes the meaning of the badge in of itself. However, enthusiasts (us) will always know the difference between a M3, M335i, and X6M50d (yuck), and as long BMW continues to produce quality real M cars (i.e. M3, M5, etc.) that's what matters. I couldn't care less about what other people believe they own or have (M badge wise), what matters is that the real M cars continue to be built as intended by M engineers.

Now if BMW decides to build a M335i that performs exactly as well as a M3 in every aspect, and charge me $20,000 premium for the M3 badge, we have problems.

Last edited by S65NAPWR; 11-21-2012 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #49
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
I agree that throwing M on every automobile BMW produces dilutes the meaning of the badge in of itself. However, enthusiasts (us) will always know the difference between a M3, M335i, and X6M50d (yuck), and as long BMW continues to produce quality real M cars (i.e. M3, M5, etc.) that's what matters. I couldn't care less about what other people believe they own or have (M badge wise), what matters is that the real M cars continue to be built as intended by M engineers.

Now if BMW decides to build a M335i that performs exactly as well as a M3 in every aspect, and charge me $20,000 premium for the M3 badge, we have problems.
A BMW enthusiast will know but a general car enthusiast will not. The AMG is a great example. I've been a car guy for a couple decades and there are a lot of Mercedes in the garage where I park. I couldn't tell you one from the other but I do know that one cost twice as much as another it was sitting beside. Sadly, I still don't know which is which.

My neighbor had a 335i and when she first saw my car she told me she used to have one just like it, referencing her recently sold 335i. I just smiled, it wasn't worth the discussion.

I like having a car that is special and that even many laypersons know is different from your typical 3 series. So no, I don't like BMW whoring it out. I did debadge my mustang but that was for stealth reasons. The M3 keeps that badge.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #50
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
A BMW enthusiast will know but a general car enthusiast will not. The AMG is a great example. I've been a car guy for a couple decades and there are a lot of Mercedes in the garage where I park. I couldn't tell you one from the other but I do know that one cost twice as much as another it was sitting beside. Sadly, I still don't know which is which.

My neighbor had a 335i and when she first saw my car she told me she used to have one just like it, referencing her recently sold 335i. I just smiled, it wasn't worth the discussion.

I like having a car that is special and that even many laypersons know is different from your typical 3 series. So no, I don't like BMW whoring it out. I did debadge my mustang but that was for stealth reasons. The M3 keeps that badge.
That's probably true, but the only enthusiast that matters is myself at the end of the day and what I think of my own car. It's a plus when other people can discern the difference, but isn't a deal breaker for me. Is BMW whoring out the M badge? Absolutely. Such is the world we live in where big brands want to make even bigger money...

I think AMG is sort of a bad comparison just because we know what a C63 AMG Coupe is vs. a C350 Sport (distinctly different cars in my book). AMG actually still exclusively retains proper AMG badging on real AMG cars and the requisite aggressive body panel enhancements to boot. The other cars may have pieces that look AMG (wheels etc.), but they certainly don't have the badge or exactly the same panelling... now that I think of it, kind of makes me respect them more now As for the person who still can't tell the difference, that's another story altogether.

Now Audi did a little trick on us with the S moniker, but in a somewhat acceptable fashion. The RS line was always there to claim the top awards in Audi performance. The S line was simply "de-tuned" slowly over the past 5 years to make it more mass, lower priced , and to make space for the RS line now coming to the US market. Although I am disappointed in the RS5, they need to do better than that to charge a sizable premium in that class.
      11-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #51
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

yes, the M Performance make me want to debadge....all the M Performance models that i see on the street
Appreciate 0