BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #23
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the opinions. Sounds like you're a winner either way.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Welcome! Can not wait to see some good pics. Enjoy your M
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #25
Ramphaus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Melbourne Red/Beige

Well, I got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4bmw View Post
Welcome! Can not wait to see some good pics. Enjoy your M
Last Wednesday in fact. I left work ASAP only to get to the dealership at 7pm. Then delivery took 2 hours. So I didn't drive out of there until 9, but I wake up at 430am, so I only drove around for about 20 miles and went home.

I was going to post pics, but everyone already knows what mine looks like.

Now I have a problem though, I actually PERSEVERATE over this thing! I think about it as I wake up...in the shower...at work...as I go to sleep. It's funny, because the last time I was so "stuck" on something was when I met my wife 9 years ago. Today I woke up and told her that I was just going to program the Homelink for the garage doors. I did that (took 5 min) and then didn't come back for 3 hours! Just drove around country roads aimlessly. I LOVE IT!!!

The other "problem:" I'm the only one around right now that has one. So everyone stares. A couple days ago I went to Costco to get gas and 3 guys came over to look at it and ask questions. I certainly don't mind that. Another thing - I have yet to tell any friends or family that I got it! I feel like I would be bragging!

Anyhow...they'll find out when they come over. Right now they can't find me, 'cause I'm drivin'!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #26
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Cool Everyone don't know what it looks like with a real camera now post some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphaus View Post
Last Wednesday in fact. I left work ASAP only to get to the dealership at 7pm. Then delivery took 2 hours. So I didn't drive out of there until 9, but I wake up at 430am, so I only drove around for about 20 miles and went home.

Now I have a problem though, I actually PERSEVERATE over this thing! I think about it as I wake up...in the shower...at work...as I go to sleep. It's funny, because the last time I was so "stuck" on something was when I met my wife 9 years ago. Today I woke up and told her that I was just going to program the Homelink for the garage doors. I did that (took 5 min) and then didn't come back for 3 hours! Just drove around country roads aimlessly. I LOVE IT!!!

The other "problem:" I'm the only one around right now that has one. So everyone stares. A couple days ago I went to Costco to get gas and 3 guys came over to look at it and ask questions. I certainly don't mind that. Another thing - I have yet to tell any friends or family that I got it! I feel like I would be bragging!

Anyhow...they'll find out when they come over. Right now they can't find me, 'cause I'm drivin'!!!
Bring on some pics fellow before things get hostile

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #27
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

You made the right choice, congrats! The M3 is a car that has all the reflexes of a true sports car, but keeps you nice and comfy and has lots of toys. I like it too!
      04-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #28
gbelton
TheArchitect
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Nice story. If you get it in time, next week quite a few Bimmer drivers are headed over to the Tail of The Dragon.

I'll look to drive either my M5 or M3.

Let me know if you are interested.
      04-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #29
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Damn, must be nice. I miss the Carolinas. I had lots of great drives there. C'mon - we want to see MR with tan interior. Bring on the pics. No excuses that you bought the M to drive not take pictures of.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #30
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
After waiting 18 months for the E92 to arrive and having had a deposit down on a Cayman S, I compared the 2 for myself. I just bought one of the new launch cars (Melbourne Red coupe) and am bubbling all over waiting for the detail and clear bra to be installed. I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!!! Here's a copy of the post I placed on Caymanclub.net last week:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in a FOUR hour affair at the SAME DEALERSHIP!!! Amazing experience.

So here is what happened. Got out of work early (that in itself is amazing) and drove to the local Hendrick dealership that has both Porsche and BMW in the same complex. I was very open about my dilemma and the BMW dealership offered to let me do an extended test drive that included taking it home and making sure it got into the driveway. So here goes:

BMW - okay...MONSTER! Took a 30 mile test drive through some awesome twisty road that I didn't even know existed in my own town! Through the country and in and out of Chapel Hill and Durham. An absolute blast! So the car definitely feels subdued. At normal driving speeds you feel like you're in any other 3 series - not boring, but not feeling special either. Then you start some more spiritied driving - holy nuts! The three suspension settings are noticeably different. Even the tightest setting is softer than PASM in Normal. Turn the wheel and you're there - you go where you point it. The feeling? It's there, but it's not the Porsche-feel, no doubt. You still feel in total control of the car, but you don't feel as though you're TOUCHING the road with you fingers like in the CS. Some may like that, but purists won't. I garnered 14 mpg in my high-revving, spirited, stop-and-go driving (probably realistic or slighted more heavy-footed driving than normal). As far as toys are concerned, there is no comparison - this car comes with EVERYTHING: Nav, traffic, sirius, HD radio, 6 disc, ipod/usb adapter, keyless entry and start. Comfort: the M3 is extremely comfortable. In my opinion, it is much more comfortable than the CS. You could drive endlessly in those seats. We drove to my house and the car popped right into my driveway, no problem.

So I got back from the awesome test drive even more confused than when we left. Sat down with the salesperson and was talking about various pros and cons as compared to the CS. He, himself, seemed endearing to Porsche, calling it the better balanced and better handling vehicle. Then he asked me something that floored me: "Want me to take you over to the Porsche showroom so you can talk to them and drive one back-to-back?" I pressed rewind and listened to it again in my head "want me to take you over to the Porsche showroom so you can talk to them and drive one back-to-back?" Really? ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY!

We walked over and what happened next was fantastic: they actually started arguing why "their" car was preferrable - for 15 minutes! I didn't say a word. They actually got so involved that I thought I might have to remind them that I was there to consider buying a car! So then the BMW guy left me and the Porsche salesman alone to consider the options. We got into a PASM-equipped CS and drove to my home (it fit too) and took the long way back. So here goes:

CS - definitely the purists' car. Totally connected to the road. You actually feel like the only thing keeping your fingers from bleeding is the steering wheel. Awesome! 19 mpg. Better sound. Can have a lot more fun at lower speed than the M3. PASM normal is stiffer than M3 Sport. Comfort: I could tell that I might not be able to tolerate the seats and driving position for more than maybe 3 hours? Toys:none really to speak of. Appearance: a piece of art.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I almost wished one of the cars wouldn't make it into my driveway!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a heck of a researcher when it comes to buying stuff - expecially cars. Interestingly I thought that there was no way anything was going to steer me away from the CS, so I didn't even check out the M3 forums. I researched the car a lot on my own, read everything I could, watched every video I could, dissected the costs of everything; but never interacted on the M3 forums. And then I drove it. Back to back against the CS, no less. WOW is all I can say. Not excited about the difference in mpg, but it's not to be my DD anyway.

I am SO EXCITED!!! and those who know me would say that usually I don't get excited about things you would expect me to be excited about....WHERE'S MY CAR?!?!?!? I WANT IT NOW! Woohoo!
The CS is surely a nice car and porsches are great, but I think the CS in particular is underpowered. Would go with the M3 as between the two, especially when the car is broken in and you can really go through the whole rev range. If you want a porsche, get a low mile '07 C2S and the cost will be closer to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #31
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton View Post
Nice story. If you get it in time, next week quite a few Bimmer drivers are headed over to the Tail of The Dragon.

Ahhh... memories. I did the tail in a Mini S. Killer road! If you are anywhere in the SE and have not done it. Get there!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #32
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4bmw View Post
Ahhh... memories. I did the tail in a Mini S. Killer road! If you are anywhere in the SE and have not done it. Get there!
I'd love to. Maybe when I do performance delivery of my M3 (wishful thinking) I'll drive back via that route. Only thing is I heard it is too popular. Always lots of traffic to spoil the drive. Hope not.
      04-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #33
Ramphaus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton View Post

So I took a little joyride today. When I came back I had put 350 miles on it! So the total now is 620 miles. If I go to the Dragon with you guys (320 miles each way), when I come back I can go for service! I think I want to join you all. Question is are you guys driving it tomorrow? or Wed/Thurs? I see on the Dragon site that Wed and Thurs is the BMW Spring drive Part I. Or are you guys doing a get-together on your own?

I have a problem: is there a ///M-anonymous group? After my 350 mile spin, I pulled into the driveway, got out of the car, decided that I wanted to put a bulb in the garagedoor opener...did that...and turned around and contemplated getting back in and driving around some more! ARGH! I'm addicted. The rain held me back

Pics will come (although you all know what Melbourne with Beige looks like) once it stops raining and I can wash her. She is very dirty right now. I might be embarrassed to show up in Deal's Gap with such a dirty red minx.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #34
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Cool review. Cool that you got to drive both and feel them out. I decided on the M for many reasons...they just outweighed the option of keeping my current ride.

Yeah, the P-car is definately a more "connected" car with lots of feedback. But, the M offers many things the P-car does not...so it is kind of a toss up on what you really want out of a car. After drivng the new M, I felt it was "the right car" for me right now...now I just have to wait until June'ish to get it!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #35
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Congtats and welcome! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #36
Ramphaus
Private First Class
Rep

Pic try

http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1208829936

It's mighty dirty, but not for long!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #37
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

If you really think about it, every car we drive is a compromise. We (on most of the performance car forums) all want the handling and acceleration performance of an F1 car while attaining an acceptable level of comfort and utility. If I didn't care about the latter, I would have easily gotten the CS as it is certainly the more pure "driver's" car. As i wanted a tremendous degree of performance while still acknowledging my personal comfort and desire for electronic integration, I opted for the M3.

This is exactly the same reason I decided to go ahead with the M3 and I am delighted. I had a Carrera 997 and really didn't use the car a lot due to the lack of comfort and convenience. It is really an exciting sports car but with limited practicallity. The M3 is a perfect combination of racing & civility.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #38
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Angry <-- Wolfpack Red

RED is AMAZING. Works perfect with 19 inch wheels, chrome and back headlights.

It must be even better on the convertible

what is it that I see.. clear bra ? .. just kidding.

Seriously I know how that red feels in person.. I like that not many people buy it the better hahaha. I am narrowing it down to MR beige leather or JETBK fox red leather.. or maybe SP GRAPHITE, 6MT, technology package, premium package, premium sound. 19 inch wheels, sun shade, carbon trim.

Picture from the front please
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #39
phile
Rep
Drives: Looking

Hold the phone, you liked the sound of the Cayman S better?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #40
Ramphaus
Private First Class
Rep

well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile View Post
Hold the phone, you liked the sound of the Cayman S better?
I love the sound of the ///M. But you can't really hear anything until 4k or higher. This is all fine...

In the CS you are sitting AGAINST the engine. It is literally vibrating against your back. Better not be listening to any Yo-Yo Ma.

But come on...the sound is only part of the experience. As you read, there were so many other reasons tractor-beaming in the right direction!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #41
phile
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
I love the sound of the ///M. But you can't really hear anything until 4k or higher. This is all fine...

In the CS you are sitting AGAINST the engine. It is literally vibrating against your back. Better not be listening to any Yo-Yo Ma.

But come on...the sound is only part of the experience. As you read, there were so many other reasons tractor-beaming in the right direction!
No doubt. My problem was that the CS sounded like a 4banger till you really get on the gas. I agree that the engine is right at your back and it kind of makes you feel more involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #42
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
there were so many other reasons tractor-beaming in the right direction!
Now that is quote-able!!!

Melbourne Red is really nice in person. I love it. Not "orangey" at all. A very good choice, since BMW no longer offers Imola Red! Sounds like you are having great fun with your car