BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
RadM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition

m3 performance exhaust

Had it for 2 weeks. I think the looks are spot on, not overly aggressive but still slightly different than stock. As for sound, I read all the warnings regarding it not being much different than stock....and...it seems slightly louder but can't really tell from inside the car. My brother listened to a few drive by's and said it definitely was louder than stock but again difficult to hear the difference in cabin. There is a sweet spot between 3-4 k when you get that cool hollow roar sound but above that might be the same as stock. Was debating between mpe and eisenmann sport or race. I hope I didn't make a mistake as the race is definitely noticeably different. I'll give it 1000 miles and reasses as some say the sound might get a bit more aggressive over time.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Congrats! The MPE isn't in your face, it's just there, subtle but definitely noticeable. The exotic hollow howl of the MPE is unique but it's not really a loud exhaust that some crave. It's more about tone than volume. It balances nicely with the intake, doesn't drown it out. It'll get a tad louder once broken in and remains drone free.

The E. Race is a great sounding exhaust but drones like crazy. The E. Sport is bassier than the MPE but quieter at WOT.

Give it some time, try to hook up with other guys that are running different exhausts for comparison. Exhausts are so subjective, it's hard to know if you've made the right choice without sampling some of the others first hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
SwagLessM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3

Thanks for Posting, I'm a newb and trying to barely mod up the M and was actually lookng at this. Thanks for the honest opinioin.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
m7ich7ael7
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

XRAYM3 - I noticed your from SO.CAL too. Is it possible for me to listen to your car? I'm trying to figure out if I go with this exhaust too.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
MPE paired with test pipes is plain exotic. People have come up to me and asked what exhaust I am running. Even some guys at dealership have commented it is the best sounding exhaust they've heard on the E92 M3. In fact these were the guys who have been asking me to pout Remus Race exhaust on after they heard a car with RE on them. I am happy. Good one!
      11-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Congrats! The MPE isn't in your face, it's just there, subtle but definitely noticeable. The exotic hollow howl of the MPE is unique but it's not really a loud exhaust that some crave. It's more about tone than volume. It balances nicely with the intake, doesn't drown it out. It'll get a tad louder once broken in and remains drone free.

The E. Race is a great sounding exhaust but drones like crazy. The E. Sport is bassier than the MPE but quieter at WOT.

Give it some time, try to hook up with other guys that are running different exhausts for comparison. Exhausts are so subjective, it's hard to know if you've made the right choice without sampling some of the others first hand.
I have the Eisenmann Race Exhaust with test pipes and don't agree that it drones like crazy. It had a very slight amount and for the amazing tones it puts out through out the entire rev range I think it's an excellent trade off.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
I have the Eisenmann Race Exhaust with test pipes and don't agree that it drones like crazy. It had a very slight amount and for the amazing tones it puts out through out the entire rev range I think it's an excellent trade off.
I've heard that it drones less with primary delete. Everything else stock with the E. Race slip on, it drones bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
I've heard that it drones less with primary delete. Everything else stock with the E. Race slip on, it drones bad.
This may be the case then, test pipes for the win
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
superchink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ich7ael7 View Post
XRAYM3 - I noticed your from SO.CAL too. Is it possible for me to listen to your car? I'm trying to figure out if I go with this exhaust too.
Let me know if you guys are getting together. Would be good to hear it in person. Otherwise, might have to visit a local shop…
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
OneblkM3
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 AW/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchink View Post
Let me know if you guys are getting together. Would be good to hear it in person. Otherwise, might have to visit a local shop…
I'm up to get together as well. I'm local.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I'm in SoCal too, you can always listen to mine if closer to the 909.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ich7ael7 View Post
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Imo from the online videos, the MPE with the challenge sound less raspy than test pipes. It could be due to the different mics.

Here is a link to the MPE challenge xpipe combo.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Imo from the online videos, the MPE with the challenge sound less raspy than test pipes. It could be due to the different mics.

It's just not raspy ... it's loud
      11-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
RadM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition

I'll be at cars and coffee irvine this Saturday if you guys want to meet up. Glad to help with the exhaust decision process!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #15
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3
Quote:

It's just not raspy ... it's loud
Not sure I get what you are saying... Are you saying the challenge combo produces more rasp and is also louder than your test pipe combo?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure I get what you are saying... Are you saying the challenge combo produces more rasp and is also louder than your test pipe combo?
I am not sure about the rasp but definitely loud compared to the popular set up - test pipes + MPE + BPM Stage II (my set up).
      11-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Jeff, are you still rocking the AA? I think this is a Challenge street xpipe? Whatcha think?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #18
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I am not sure about the rasp but definitely loud compared to the popular set up - test pipes + MPE + BPM Stage II (my set up).
Gotcha. Hard to judge the rasp from the video. Good point on the volume - I wouldn't want it too loud either (I like to keep it more elegant).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #19
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Jeff, are you still rocking the AA? I think this is a Challenge street xpipe? Whatcha think?
Hey Steve, yes I am still rocking the AA axle back. I'd like to explore the MPE with the test pipes because I like the textures and the added volume (without being to insane).

The youtube video is a challenge xpipe with MPE. Based on AussieM3's ears it is louder than his setup and I don't want LOUD anymore. I haven't heard either in person and youtube audio can be deceptive and I know first hand. Remember, I had the MRF xpipe with the stock muffler which sounded like all of the bass was removed with an obnoxious unrefined sound because the OEM mufflers were not a good match,,,, I once recorded it with that setup and put it on you tube and it sounded pretty good on youtube. Very deceptive. Also, when I record interior audio with my iPhone and playback through my headpones, it sounds soo good, but non of it is audibly detectable to my ears while driving .

The AA is an elegant sounding exhaust but the drone is causing real problems with my hearing and I am starting to get headaches. I was told the xpipe would make it drone less but I don't any drone.

I will see you in mid December and looking forward to riding in yours and to experience the MPE OEM style.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #20
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Gotcha. Hard to judge the rasp from the video. Good point on the volume - I wouldn't want it too loud either (I like to keep it more elegant).
I suggest that take a ride on a car with a similar set up to mine and make a decision. If you want something more elegant, in my opinion (2c), then you can't beat the MPE with test pipes. It's not obnoxiously loud, but exotic and just loud in its own ways. When you put the foot down it sings. Please take a ride and have a good listen and make your decision. Recorded sounds are deceptive. Good luck
      11-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Steve, yes I am still rocking the AA axle back. I'd like to explore the MPE with the test pipes because I like the textures and the added volume (without being to insane).

The youtube video is a challenge xpipe with MPE. Based on AussieM3's ears it is louder than his setup and I don't want LOUD anymore. I haven't heard either in person and youtube audio can be deceptive and I know first hand. Remember, I had the MRF xpipe with the stock muffler which sounded like all of the bass was removed with an obnoxious unrefined sound because the OEM mufflers were not a good match,,,, I once recorded it with that setup and put it on you tube and it sounded pretty good on youtube. Very deceptive. Also, when I record interior audio with my iPhone and playback through my headpones, it sounds soo good, but non of it is audibly detectable to my ears while driving .

The AA is an elegant sounding exhaust but the drone is causing real problems with my hearing and I am starting to get headaches. I was told the xpipe would make it drone less but I don't any drone.

I will see you in mid December and looking forward to riding in yours and to experience the MPE OEM style.
Ah bummer, the AA drone is getting to you now.

I might consider test pipes after warranty but I've been very happy with just the MPE so far. I agree, the in-cabin experience is where it's at. Give me a shout when you're in PDX/Couve, ciao!
Appreciate 0