BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Flashing Rev @ Startup?

I know some Italian exotics have the engine bark at startup. I also know that a high revs on a cold engine is a bad idea. Do any of the tuners have something like this in their tunes? Something that is fun and a little attention grabbing yet safe for the engine? Can it even be done? Should it not be done?
2008 AW E92 M3: Stage II and DCT tune by BPM Sport, convenience coding + coding for mDrive w/Euro MDM (no iDrive) & alarm retrofit by BPM Sport, Fox Red interior, ESS midpipe, Corsa slip on exhaust, carbon fiber M Performance spoiler, black grills, black OEM M3 ZCP 19" wheels, 15/12mm spacers and AW painted reflectors
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
dpgfunk
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

just slam your foot on the gas after you push the start button
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

We have a cold start on the car. Just go catless with a tune and i'm sure that should be satisfying enough. High rev on a cold motor is a bad idea.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
We have a cold start on the car. Just go catless with a tune and i'm sure that should be satisfying enough. High rev on a cold motor is a bad idea.
This. The cold start is already loud enough. A pair of test pipes and exhaust and you'll be waking up the neighbors in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Seems like a bad idea to rev the car right at start-up before the oil pressure has come up and possibly before the engine has warmed up. Maybe if the oil temp was already over 160 F or so (have the software check for oil temp) it would be OK, but every time, not.

Given our rod bearing wear issue, I would avoid a start rev routine.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #6
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

I think what OP meant was the initial split second bark.

However I don't think its high rev at all.

It sounds high rev but mostly its because of the short exhaust length for midship cars that gives the impression the revs are high during start up.

In most cases its just about 2000rpm and quiets down about a second later as vacuum builds up enough for the Exhaust Valves to close.

Starting up the engine with your foot flat on the throttle will not replicate the exotic sound. All you get is revs building up until you lift your foot off the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

So, similar to the M156 motors in the AMG cars? The C63 I know does that.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:37 AM   #8
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pilot
I think what OP meant was the initial split second bark.

However I don't think its high rev at all.

It sounds high rev but mostly its because of the short exhaust length for midship cars that gives the impression the revs are high during start up.

In most cases its just about 2000rpm and quiets down about a second later as vacuum builds up enough for the Exhaust Valves to close.

Starting up the engine with your foot flat on the throttle will not replicate the exotic sound. All you get is revs building up until you lift your foot off the throttle.
This is exactly what I was getting at. Thanks for the explanation of why we cannot replicate it.
2008 AW E92 M3: Stage II and DCT tune by BPM Sport, convenience coding + coding for mDrive w/Euro MDM (no iDrive) & alarm retrofit by BPM Sport, Fox Red interior, ESS midpipe, Corsa slip on exhaust, carbon fiber M Performance spoiler, black grills, black OEM M3 ZCP 19" wheels, 15/12mm spacers and AW painted reflectors
Appreciate 0