BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

05-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #23
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Bottom line costs and EPA drives business out of the USA. EPA I can stomach or understand but then cost comes in when you have to retool a factory to use EPA approved manufacturing. My current client just recently shifted 100% of it's recreational hydro therapy products to be made in Mexico. Directly because of labor cost. They could not compete with others in their business segment who had done that and were getting killed on cost. Now mind you the US based work force was not highly trained nor highly paid but the switch to foreign based labor yielded a net 32% reduction in cost and that's with sourcing all raw material still here in the US and shipping it down to TJ. Once they straighten that out it will be another @10% reduction. As far as China goes, I've had a couple of clients in the past who did their manufacturing in China in non-sterile environments, yes it's cheaper and the QC might lack some but the enviromental issues that go with producing those products are mind boggling. I personally saw in the Shanghai/Tangshan area contract manufacturers, porcelin sanitary ware products(read toilets and urinals) pumping high non VOC compliant liquids out to a common sewer. Those practices will bite them in the future once current civil liberties and such catch up and people can actually make claims against companies and the government for allowing it. Labor unions have been instrumental in driving cost up but also sate policies as well. Look at Boeing's current labor disputes over moving plants to SC. Management does not want it because SC is a right to work state and the labor union would have a field day raising the average hourly rate for factory workers in and around those locations affecting all companies. Sometimes union ideology has far outlived it's intended purpose of the late 19th and early 20th century organizations. Not an easy solution or decision to make if you are repsonsible for making an organization proifitable.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #24
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
before you make strong statements like that, you should do your research.
the only reason you do not see these documentaries, is because you do not look for them and nobody brings them to you on a silver platter.
there are PLENTY, all you have to do it search.

China Blue (2005)
Manufactured Landscapes (2006)
Modern Day Slaves: OFW Overseas Foreign Workers (2010)
Santa’s Workshop: Inside China’s Slave Labour Toy Factories

there are many many more, but you should probably do your own research before you open your mouth.

Ok so i phrased that wrong, I wanted to say is "I don't see tv making big deals out of documentaries about china, Italy, etc..." noticed on the bottom I said I've seen plenty of underground documentaries...and so I stand my ground. Big deals like the ones you listed does not make it main stream, while we nit pick on the stuff like this.

As for the comment about Iphone, I guess it's pretty funny if you put it that way, but be serious for a moment, If there exists Ipod that was made in USA I would buy it over the one made in China. I said I try my best to support American made product. Noticed the word Try, if there's no option then I guess I don't have a choice, but I will make that concious effort to buy American Made.

Someone stated about driving cost. It's true, in the end; It's all about the bottom line. So the cycle goes: One company start to outsource -> drive down the cost -> people buys it more -> in order to compete other companies will start to outsource-> cycle continues.
The only true way to stop this cycle is to actively seek out and buy stuff from companies that haven't outsource thus giving incentive to domestic products.
If you guys don't agree with this because you want to buy cheap stuff, go ahead. We'll see where your jobs will be in 20 years.

Last edited by whyrms; 05-07-2011 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #25
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

http://www.theonion.com/video/more-a...oversea,14329/
      05-07-2011, 01:52 AM   #26
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
      05-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

the only thing that is still made in America is our movies and music. Entertainment is the only thing that is still made in America and sent all around the world
      05-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

whyrms,
I'm actually with you. The other day something just hit me and I felt the need to support this country, hoping that as futile as it may be, I could help our economy here. So my new thing when buying anything is to see if I can get something that's made here.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #29
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

One thing everyone can do to support the Made in America initiative almost every week is in the grocery store. Look at the canned goods you buy, if not made in america pick another brand. You'd be surprised how many items are not made here. The grocery business is very price competitive so there are alternatives close in cost and since everyone eats it can and should have a significant impact on local economies. Same for fresh produce, don't buy out of season produce from South America if you are really serious about this.
Appreciate 0