BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Exclamation Alekshop multimedia module dying?

I seem to be running into issues with the multimedia module (with front / back cameras) kit that I purchased and had installed from Alekshop about 1 year 9 months ago.

I seem to be stuck on the main input (iDrive screen). When I put the car into reverse, it doesn't switch to the rear cam screen and holding the menu button doesn't switch it to the front cam screen.

In short, I can't get the module to respond to anything. Everything worked fine until last weekend sometime.

I'm assuming it's not "completely dead" because I can see the iDrive display still instead of a blank screen.

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know what to do? Or have any ideas on what to try?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Aleks? Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Spoke with Aleks today. Posting updates in case anyone is having a similar issue.

The Bad News:

It sounds like my video module may be dead after all. I'm going to pick up some trim tools later so I can get a look at the module, but we're expecting the worst at this point.

The Good News

When I bought the unit, one thing that I was worried about is what would happen if the module fried since the iDrive feed is going through it. Would I get a blank screen? That would suck.

It appears that I now have the answer. Fortunately it seems that the iDrive feed is able to pass through and normal operation of the car isn't affected by the device going to electronics heaven.

Will keep you posted as I learn more - depends on what I'll see when I pop off the trim and climate control panel. Most likely will be swapping out for a new module I'd guess.

- EDIT -

Oooh, and this is post 1,111 for me!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

If you need a new one, you can probably save some coin here. This is what modmynav/alekshop/etc are using and rebranding.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/10..._BMW_with.html
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
If you need a new one, you can probably save some coin here. This is what modmynav/alekshop/etc are using and rebranding.

is there one for the CCC? i think i got sent the one for the CIC lol
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Asked 2 reps there for a quote so I could order and neither bothered to get back to me. How do you order from this place?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Asked 2 reps there for a quote so I could order and neither bothered to get back to me. How do you order from this place?
It can be a hassle... It's not exactly Amazon when you're ordering direct from China.. you may have more success looking up the model number on eBay, someone may be selling it there as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It can be a hassle... It's not exactly Amazon when you're ordering direct from China.. you may have more success looking up the model number on eBay, someone may be selling it there as well.
They appear to be marked up double outside of that route: $300.
Appreciate 0