BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

08-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Respray front and rear bumper

Question for the guys who have had there bumpers resprayed. How much did you pay for each side and any issues with color matching without respraying the food, fenders etc?

If you have any pictures that would be great
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Expect to pay $350ish each for paint. Most shops never respray a hood or fender when painting a bumper.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Expect to pay $350ish each for paint. Most shops never respray a hood or fender when painting a bumper.
thank you, thats what I thought I would pay around
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Assuming that your car is the silver one in your signature, I would skip it. Metallic silver paint is almost impossible to match. I had a nightmare experience with my last car, a metallic silver (much like your M3) 350Z. It was painted three times using top-of-the-line paint (PPG), the first time by the shop, then by the auto paint supply store, and finally by a PPG rep. It didn't matter. I saw the same thing on every silver 350Z with a body kit where only the bumpers and skirts were painted.

I'll be SHOCKED if your car comes back without a noticeable mismatch.
      08-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Assuming that your car is the silver one in your signature, I would skip it. Metallic silver paint is almost impossible to match. I had a nightmare experience with my last car, a metallic silver (much like your M3) 350Z. It was painted three times using top-of-the-line paint (PPG), the first time by the shop, then by the auto paint supply store, and finally by a PPG rep. It didn't matter. I saw the same thing on every silver 350Z with a body kit where only the bumpers and skirts were painted.

I'll be SHOCKED if your car comes back without a noticeable mismatch.
this is common on almost all cars. It is exaggerated w/ silvers but most cars bumpers are not even painted in the same place as the cars and the bumpers are also made of a diff substrate.. They're is so many variables. Some shops want to blend fenders and 1/4 when painting bumpers for color match but it is not warranted as most never match from the factory anyway. The problem is that the people scrutinize the car much more when it is back from the body shop and that's when they notice the diff colors.

Fact; even GM released something stating this to customers when the new camaro came out. If you look at the hard angle of the 1/4 panel on a new camaro to the door line depending on the color you can see a variance and customers would notice.

Anyways, chips are gonna happen, live with them, or repaint the bumpers; choice is yours!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
gotcha, im going to a certified bmw shop and seeing what they say. My bumper is in need of some filling and repaint so might as well give it a shot
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
this is common on almost all cars. It is exaggerated w/ silvers but most cars bumpers are not even painted in the same place as the cars and the bumpers are also made of a diff substrate.. They're is so many variables. Some shops want to blend fenders and 1/4 when painting bumpers for color match but it is not warranted as most never match from the factory anyway. The problem is that the people scrutinize the car much more when it is back from the body shop and that's when they notice the diff colors.

Fact; even GM released something stating this to customers when the new camaro came out. If you look at the hard angle of the 1/4 panel on a new camaro to the door line depending on the color you can see a variance and customers would notice.

Anyways, chips are gonna happen, live with them, or repaint the bumpers; choice is yours!
This is all true as far as it not matching from the factory; there's a certain degree of difference that we have to deal with. But in the 350Z case that I mentioned, the match was much worse and intolerable IMO.

OP, just make sure that they know ahead of time that you're going to be hard to please when it comes to the match.