BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

10-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJackM View Post
This ain't be a charity project for younger and cash constrained people.
+3,333

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #24
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

And another thing, I don't care who it is marketed towards; if it works for me, I like it, and I can afford it I'll get it. I don't care if its 'marketed' towards an 88 year old grandpa or a teenage girl.
      10-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #25
CAW_135
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
youre right about 16 though, since that's how old my oldest kid will be when I give the 135 to him in 4.5 years....
Please God do not give a car this powerful to a 16 year old.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #26
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Oh you'd be surprised. :biggrin:
sad but true.....now is the time for that 25 yr old to be buying real estate at today's prices vs a friggin BMW.....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #27
///MG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '05 M3

I'm 23 and my first car was a 1987 420sel MB. What a whale she was, but a fantastic car nonetheless. From there I moved onto a '03 1.8t A4. That car made me appreciate the "newness" factor you get from a fresh looking, younger-type of car. Finally I've found myself in an '05 M3, and this has been the perfect car to me.

I cannot imagine a better performing car unless some extra (EXTRA) money was involved. I came across the 135i about 6 weeks ago, and this car just makes sense to me. Tough to explain.

I'd love to put myself into antother M3, but the new price cannot be justified. A dealer expects an 80k tag on the new M3. I told him he could keep dreaming, but nowadays I don't think he'll be far off.

A new car is secondary to me at this point in my life. I hope to walk into a condo in the near future, and at $1150/sq. ft. for a 750 sq. ft. 1-bedroom that is no small task. The 135i fits the bill, as it won't be outrageously overpriced at ~35k, and satisfy's all that I'm looking for in a car.

I tend to agree with the OP. The 135i seems to be geared towards (and I hate to say it) high school seniors all the way up to the almost 30 crowd. Above that the 3-series comes into play. Somewhat subdued with performace, yet still great performance nonetheless, with added sophistication.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #28
///MG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '05 M3

Quote:
sad but true.....now is the time for that 25 yr old to be buying real estate at today's prices vs a friggin BMW.....
I just read your reply after I posted mine above. You're absolutely right too....
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #29
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAW_135 View Post
Please God do not give a car this powerful to a 16 year old.
thanks for your prayers......duly noted but not needed.......one ticket and BMW goes bye bye....then again, you know my kid so well....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #30
drew2002
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
Okay, my opinions on the 1 series, are that this car is not meant for the middle aged crowd (like the 335i), but have a more "younger" impact. I think that this car is aimed toward a young driver to someone in their early 30's. Look at the car...the styling appeals to a younger crowd! I think that BMW intends for this car to aim at people anywhere from even 16!! to someone who is mid 30's.
Damn, I don't think anyone could argue with your point about the styling--I mean, the Z4 has similar styling cues, and we all know that they're rarely driven by people over 35. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #31
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

I am 20 years old and getting a 135i, and don't see anything wrong with it. No, my parents are not spending a dime on the car, insurance, or even gas. Got one free year of car insurance and that's it. The rest I have payed on my own. Still live at home which is one benefit. Will still be saving money on the side for a house I plan to buy before 28. Would it be easier to continue to drive my POS for the next 8 years and get a house a little earlier? Sure, but you only live once and I have thought about a new car for the past 4 1/2 years now.

Can't wait for March.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #32
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
thanks for your prayers......duly noted but not needed.......one ticket and BMW goes bye bye....then again, you know my kid so well....
I think you may be missing his point. You may be happy as hell that he gets a ticket and not an accident. That being said, raise your kids how you see fit and I hold no anomosity for anyone helping their child with their first car.
I almost didn't want to post it because an argument can be made either way for giving this to a young driver. Kids will likely drive fast and unsafe (at least I did) no matter what vehicle they have. I was lucky enough to avoid accidents and many moments I would have had to pay hefty fines if caught, but not everybody is according to statistics.

Bottom line:
I would take it as a 16 year old and it would definitely be safer than the 86 cutlas I bought back then. Even though I would occasionally check that speed limiter given the right road and conditions.
      10-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #33
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post

I tend to agree with the OP. The 135i seems to be geared towards (and I hate to say it) high school seniors all the way up to the almost 30 crowd. Above that the 3-series comes into play. Somewhat subdued with performace, yet still great performance nonetheless, with added sophistication.
your post was thoughtful and sensible....however, like I wrote to 26k,what evidence do you have that supports the above?....are you thinking that the 1 will be purchased for high schoolers by their parents?.....sure......but I disagree that there is an age demographic attached to this car.....Personally, I think this is a perfect "sweet 16" mobile,cute and small, and will turn up on that MTV show for sure.... and then I cant seem to buy the 21-25 demographic because of affordability....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #34
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I think you may be missing his point. You may be happy as hell that he gets a ticket and not an accident. That being said, raise your kids how you see fit and I hold no anomosity for anyone helping their child with their first car.
I almost didn't want to post it because an argument can be made either way for giving this to a young driver. Kids will likely drive fast and unsafe (at least I did) no matter what vehicle they have. I was lucky enough to avoid accidents and many moments I would have had to pay hefty fines if caught, but not everybody is according to statistics.

Bottom line:
I would take it as a 16 year old and it would definitely be safer than the 86 cutlas I bought back then. Even though I would occasionally check that speed limiter given the right road and conditions.
yes, once again noted and your concern is genuinely appreciated....the cars don't cause the accidents, the drivers do....i regret posting about whom i intend to ultimately give my 135 too.....this has been posted and judged upon on a previous thread by quite a few.....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #35
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I think that at every age demographic there are those who can afford bmw's and those who can't, so I think it is a moot point. If the car works for you get it. If you see someone pull up to you who isn't in your demographic and he has a 1er, give him a thumbs up and drive on. If my dad, younger brother, older brother, and grandma all get 135i's I will just be happy to race them all on an even playing field! I won't ever be embarrassed about what I drive, I mean look at what I am driving now.
      10-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #36
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
I am 20 years old and getting a 135i, and don't see anything wrong with it. No, my parents are not spending a dime on the car, insurance, or even gas. Got one free year of car insurance and that's it. The rest I have payed on my own. Still live at home which is one benefit. Will still be saving money on the side for a house I plan to buy before 28. Would it be easier to continue to drive my POS for the next 8 years and get a house a little earlier? Sure, but you only live once and I have thought about a new car for the past 4 1/2 years now.

Can't wait for March.
housing market is ripe for buyers my man.....20k for new car 20k on real property will yield you big big gains in just a few years.....equity is beautiful......depreciating assets aren't....just an opinion....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #37
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
yes, once again noted and your concern is genuinely appreciated....the cars don't cause the accidents, the drivers do....i regret posting about whom i intend to ultimately give my 135 too.....this has been posted and judged upon on a previous thread by quite a few.....
Sorry to pull out the sledge and really put it to that dead horse, but I didn't really post it for you. I just hate when people bitch that daddy bought their kid I nice car and its unfair cuz mine didn't.

Maybe pops wants his boy rolling safe and stylin. Nothing wrong with that, driving is a responsibility but it can be a fun responsibility.

I would love to be your son's shoes on his sweet 16.
      10-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #38
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I think that at every age demographic there are those who can afford bmw's and those who can't, so I think it is a moot point
.....income statistics point to the fact that very very few under 30 can afford a 40k car, but buy it anyway, which is really sad.....especially those that rent and throw $ out the window every month.....what do you think is the motivation for that?

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #39
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
housing market is ripe for buyers my man.....20k for new car 20k on real property will yield you big big gains in just a few years.....equity is beautiful......depreciating assets aren't....just an opinion....

I agree, if you are where you want to be get the house and hold off on the car. It will be a better model and deal in just a few years.
      10-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #40
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Sorry to pull out the sledge and really put it to that dead horse, but I didn't really post it for you. I just hate when people bitch that daddy bought their kid I nice car and its unfair cuz mine didn't.

Maybe pops wants his boy rolling safe and stylin. Nothing wrong with that, driving is a responsibility but it can be a fun responsibility.

I would love to be your son's shoes on his sweet 16.
my father was a prick who never gave me anything....I'm overcompensating....it's therapy.....I want my kid to be everything I wanted as a boy.....I want him to have a nice car, play guitar like Jack White, have a hot girlfriend, get good grades and have fun.....God blessed me with the ability to do nice things for my children, and so I do.....I am borrowing the 135 until I can give it to him, with love and my blessing.....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #41
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Rock on Tesla
      10-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #42
brunell
Rep
Drives: 08 335Xi

This is great, my username gives it away - I am going to buck all the trends with this reply - I'm 47, could afford a 5 series, currently drive an E90 330Xi and plan to purchase an optioned out 135 next year. I guess I have always liked a smaller car - I have been eyeing the MkV GTI for a while, but it looked too cheap for me. I commute a lot and find that the 330 rarely has anyone in it besides me. So why have a bigger car than I need? We use my wife's Volvo wagon on weekend (she loves it, way too softly sprung for me...), so, I have been patiently waiting for this new arrival. I have at least one other guy that I work with that would buy this car as well - he's almost 40, lives in a major city but just bought a certified Z3 last year. I wouldn't assume the car was targeted at 20-30 year olds. Not all old farts have to drive a big car. A more interesting question would be the age old male vs. female question...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #43
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
my father was a prick who never gave me anything....I'm overcompensating....it's therapy.....I want my kid to be everything I wanted as a boy.....I want him to have a nice car, play guitar like Jack White.
I knew quite a few kids whose parents wanted to give them everything in high school, lets just say it didn't turn out well for those kids.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:52 PM   #44
turbomg
Acquiring the taste.
Rep
Drives:

Give it up 128er, this is just another thinly veiled pricing thread. Stop it.

I don't know why you love to get so caught up on two to three grand, what do you hope to accomplish by spamming these boards with wishful thinking?

If we are to believe BMW and the 2002 marketing angle, it would make more sense that they are aiming at the 40+ mid life crisis segment. There will be very few people in their 20's (I'm 25, fwiw) who will understand and actually appreciate the 2002 connection.

You're dreaming, time to wake up. The 128 won't be as cheap as a VW.
Appreciate 0