BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe white, DCT, ZPP

first 1200 mile service, monday and wow wtf

Hello All,

I am a 2013 M3 owner, and today was my first service for the vehicle it was the 1200 mile service as well as engine oil refill or top off etc. I dropped the car off this morning at 1190-ish miles, got it back with exactly 1200 miles and met with the service rep before he left, he told me the car is in great shape and be ready to enjoy the beat.

Just some background on this: I followed the break in almost to the letter, exceeded 5.5 k rpm about 5-6 times where I was close to 7krpm on two occasions and near 6k rpm on 3-4 occasions ( SO hard to avoid as the engine revs fast and high naturally). Anyhow upon driving back on the west-side highway nearer to chelsea piers ( i live in NYC) I was at a red light when I noticed smoke or steam sort-a say leaving the right vent. I immediately felt my heart pop out of my throat, this steam/smoke lasted 1 second and when I saw it i immediately lowered the gear ratio shifts, and hit the power button off. I continued my drive very cautiously, all seemed normal and the oil temp was no more than 210F, 220F and was well in the norm. I get home and park in the garage, pop the hood as precaution and to my astonishment I see that oil had leaked off of the cap. I checked the cap and it was tight and looked at the cap and noticed the 'o-ring' is missing. I do not know how much oil leaked but when I checked the engine oil level as i was driving and in the garage it was perhaps 1/6 off of the max mark. I really hope that this is not severe, and I will be having these "geniuses" at BMW send a flatbed so they can take my love back and a) clean b) investigate the extent of the spill. I apologies as this is a novel, but I am scared guys/gals and I thought reach out to the M family first. See photos I will be taking more . Thank you all

P.S. one of my friends said it does not look to bad, if it isn't that bad, i ask that you forgive my over-reaction

Last edited by sc1989; 03-12-2013 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

for some reason i won't let me post photos, sorry
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

That's brutal - I can't stand BMW of Manhattan. Hope they make this right.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
I once had oil spill all over just from a crease in the built-in gasket. It was a mess!

You're likely fine. You didn't get an "add oil" warning, did you?

Take it back to the dealer. If they're decent like my dealer was, they'll take you in right away, replace the cap and steam clean the engine for you.

While it's a bit of a concern that the dealership missed this, it can happen. The oil cap is a notoriously bad design. Not very error-tolerant.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
That's brutal - I can't stand BMW of Manhattan. Hope they make this right.
neither can I, last time I was there it took them an hour + to get my car, it was a 335i I don't know if it was an intentional snub or that they were just incompetent and I too am hoping they resolve this and that im just being a paranoid fool haha, thank you for the well wishes friend
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I once had oil spill all over just from a crease in the built-in gasket. It was a mess!

You're likely fine. You didn't get an "add oil" warning, did you?

Take it back to the dealer. If they're decent like my dealer was, they'll take you in right away, replace the cap and steam clean the engine for you.

While it's a bit of a concern that the dealership missed this, it can happen. The oil cap is a notoriously bad design. Not very error-tolerant.
I hope! I did not get the "add oil" warning luckily. I was driving back and when I noticed that "steam" or "smoke" I was like woa wtf. The temp was not above normal so I checked the levels, about 1/6 consumed so I figured they did not top off or what not. But ya boy was I sad when i looked at the hood, i will try and upload photos but it was a mess....apparently when the garage attendants moved the car to its spot there was a lot of oil on the floor...judging by the stains i saw about 2-3 ft by 2-3 ft in area. The cap is crap man. Judging from experience this sort of thing should not be terrible. I did not wipe any of the oil as I figured the dealer/service techs need to see the extent of the leak etc. Anyhow thanks I shall keep ya posted via here or pm, I hope this isn't too serious
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

sorry to hear this OP! Fucking stealerships!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
sorry to hear this OP! Fucking stealerships!
haha thanks, ya man makes me wonder ; do I have to have a service tech pop the hood and go over everything with me before I drive off. I think so :/
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: so i had a flat bed come courtesy of BMW roadside, went with the driver to the service center, had BMW take my car back met with my service rep who was uber helpful and apologetic, wasn't expecting the car till wednesday as the new oil cap needed to be ordered / overnighted. found out that i could pick the car up today, got it back, engine/ oil leak area was steam cleaned and de-tailed. car was examined thoroughly and was washed again. Got to say I am relieved and apologetic at the same time. Relieved that it wasn't a very serious matter, apologetic for fretting. Lessons to be learned: guys it is no secret that this cap is known to have this issue apparently if the tech or whomever puts the cap faced down as opposed to on its back, the rubber o-ring will come off naturally (Gravity etc) so just make sure you all are cautious when doing your 1200 service / any oil changes for that matter. Sadly i will be forever paranoid and will have to constantly check after I get a service done. I am awaiting to see what "extra" will be done. Again just grateful this was resolved swiftly and no major issue; drove the car back via highway, and it handles very well, as good as new but with higher rpm now take care guys
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

All this over an oil cap gasket? Yikes, I'd hate to see your reaction if something serious actually went wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
All this over an oil cap gasket? Yikes, I'd hate to see your reaction if something serious actually went wrong.
Losing oil in this engine is a serious issue; it can get everywhere including the serpentine belts.

It also shows a lack of attention to detail by these techs who work on these $25k engines.
      03-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

For me it about attention to detail. I live by this in my career. This is their career. An oil change is a ground ball. It should be perfect every time. It's taking pride in your craft no matter what it is. From cutting grass to complex surgery, it's all about the attention to details.
      03-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
in truth I am not one to cry about small issues but a) this is a $70k+ car, b) it is such a simple issue as changing oil, and the required fluids for the 1200 mile service, c) last I checked , the techs who do services for ///M vehicles require "Special certification" this is what my service rep told me, d) previous car was a G55 AMG, known for lots of wear and in all my service trips not ONCE have I had any issues with their servicing of my vehicle, for a first time service for a car that I truly love and waited patiently as it was built, to have something like this happen I feel is a grave injustice. Not just a gasket issue, its an issue of neglect, the cap without the rubber lining does not tighten fully, how can you not notice something like that
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Losing oil in this engine is a serious issue; it can get everywhere including the serpentine belts.

It also shows a lack of attention to detail by these techs who work on these $25k engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
For me it about attention to detail. I live by this in my career. This is their career. An oil change is a ground ball. It should be perfect every time. It's taking pride in your craft no matter what it is. From cutting grass to complex surgery, it's all about the attention to details.
Totally agree with you guys; I really appreciate attention to detail and i'd like to think when I work I do the same.

I sure hope they managed to clean the engine properly, I gave it the day after this debacle and got it back same day; steam cleaned engine, removed the various compartments under the front of the car and cleaned those as well.

New gasket too.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Glad it worked out, did they change your differential and trans fluid (6MT only) as well during the 1200 break-in service? I hear many dealerships fail to do so because they think it's just an oil change. Since you have a DCT, you only need to care about diff fluid.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Glad it worked out, did they change your differential and trans fluid (6MT only) as well during the 1200 break-in service? I hear many dealerships fail to do so because they think it's just an oil change. Since you have a DCT, you only need to care about diff fluid.
thanks! yea as per the invoice they gave; "topped off fluids " and adjusted my tirepressure which i found interesting
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #17
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

If they "topped off fluids" than it did not get changed. You want to see the proper quantity of each fluid listed on the work order. Also, it should list that it was "changed".
      03-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Glad everything was resolved. Good to know this when I take mine in for the "1200" mile service. I will make sure to check everything and talk to the service tech before I take it home.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1989 View Post
thanks! yea as per the invoice they gave; "topped off fluids " and adjusted my tirepressure which i found interesting
it should clearly state replaced diff fluid - service completed etc. and not "topped off", that means squat. typical manhattan BMW, douches.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep

What type of buffoons where were working in your car??
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
well said. OP glad everything is ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Lol Your driving a 75k car, you don't expect shit like that to happen. And driving without oil is pretty serious
Appreciate 0