BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

09-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Pacific Raceways Winter Lapping Days

PacNWers!! Did you see this - this is so cool ... Has anyone done these days previous winters? if so, what has your experience been like? do they do passing zones and let bys or is it a free-for-all ?

2011 Pacific Raceways Open Road Course Test & Tune

RAIN OR SHINE

Driver Gold Card $450.00 (The total amount covers all 8 races)

Day of Registration $100.00

Spectators FREE

TNT SCHEDULE

October 23rd Sunday

October 30th Sunday

November 6th Sunday

November 12th Saturday

November 19th Saturday

December 3rd Saturday

December 10th Saturday

December 17th Saturday

Daily Schedule Times

Gates Open 7:30am

Registration 8:00am-3:00pm

Technical Inspection 8:00am-3:00pm

Mandatory Driver’s Meeting 8:30am

Track Open 9:00am

Track Closed 4:30pm

TNT Groups:

Levels: Novice, Intermediate- Advanced, and Pro Race Groups

Pro Groups will be separated into two fields, open wheel

and closed wheel.

Tech Inspection:

All cars must conform to the following:

Battery tied down and secure
Fluid reservoirs secured and capped
Tires in satisfactory condition (no visible patches, blisters, etc.)
No lug nuts may be missing. Wheels must be in satisfactory condition
Brake lights working
Convertible cars must have roll bar
Seatbelts in satisfactory condition
Brake fluid reservoir must be filled to the manufacturer’s specifications
Exhaust systems must be secured
Interior must be clear of all loose objects. Interior items must be secured or removed.
All vehicle safety determinations (go or no-go) and driver qualifications are subject to the decision of the PR Staff

Pro Group:

This group is specifically for race cars. All race cars must comply with the following:

Must comply with the applicable sanctioning body safety rules as in (PCA, NASA, SCCA, etc.)
For the Non Street Legal Group, the driver requirements should include-Must have, or have had, a sanctioning body competition license or sufficient advanced drivers group DE or Touring Club experience. Must have a fire retardant driving suit, gloves, qualified helmet, and leather or flame retardant shoes. Enclosed cars must have a window net and open car driver must wear arm restraints and full face shield helmet.
There will be an open wheel and closed wheel Pro Group Class.

Rules and Regulations:

Track Rules

Please remember this is not a race. If you are driving competitively or in violation of the rules below, you will be asked to leave the track and the facility with no refund. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

Drivers will be grouped by experience
Each group session will last no longer than 20 minutes
Erratic drivers, regardless of experience, will be black flagged and may be ejected from the event
Instructor/official instructions must be obeyed at all times
If you run off track (4-wheels off) or spin, you must proceed directly into pit lane
Passengers, except instructors, are not permitted
Absolutely no racing will be tolerated

Flags

Definition of flag use

Standing = Held out stationary where drivers can easily see.

Waving = Displaying flag to drivers, drawing a figure eight in the air with the flag end of stick.

COMMAND FLAGS
Command flags tell the drivers they mustdo what the flag means.

YELLOW WAVING = when displayed as Waving - Great Danger, something on or partially on track surface. Slow down, prepare to stop. NO PASSING from flag until past emergency area.

YELLOW STANDING = Display Stationary. Meaning is Caution, NO PASSING, and get car under control. There is something near track that is hazardous.

BLACK FLAG WAVING = when displayed at all turn stations– means the session has been halted and all cars shall proceed directly to the pits.

FURLED BLACK FLAG or CLOSED BLACK FLAG, (Displayed at Starter Station Only), Displayed as a shaking stick pointed at certain driver usually accompanied by a number board. Driver is doing something that they aren’t allowed to do.

OPEN BLACK FLAG, Displayed Standing -when displayed at starter station to a specific car, that car is to proceed directly to the pits to talk with event control, can’t take another lap.

MECHANICAL BLACK = Displayed Standing at Starter Station to an individual car. Meaning is there is something mechanically wrong with your car. Proceed to pit at reduced speed.

RED WAVING = Standing or waving at All Turn Stations. This flag is used only when Control commands it. Meaning –there is EXTREME danger on the track. Slow down in a safe manner and pull to the side of the track near the next manned turn station and stop. Do not proceed until instructed by a turn official.

CHECKERED WAVING = Session has ended. Return to pits in a slow controlled manner.

INFORMATIONAL FLAGS
These flags make drivers aware of track conditions only.

BLUE FLAG (Blue with Diagonal Yellow Stripe)

This flag explains that someone faster is coming up the rear. This flag may be displayed standing or waving (rocked side to side) depending upon the speed with which one car is overtaking another. More movement indicates urgency.

SURFACE CONDITION FLAG (Yellow and Red stripes)

This is displayed as standing flag. Meaning is take care Oil or other slippery condition exists, or debris is present on racing surface.

WHITE FLAG (Solid White)

This flag is displayed standing. Meaning is Caution; you are approaching a slow moving racecar, ambulance or other emergency vehicle.

GREEN WAVING
The green flag indicates that the course is clear and the session has started.

Driver Requirements:

All drivers must show current, legal driver’s license
All drivers must explain their on-track experience
Snell SA or M, 2000 or newer rated helmets are required
Seat belts, long pants, short sleeved shirts, and closed toed shoes must be worn at all times
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

sweet im down for a few days probably. depends on my work schedule.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
sweet im down for a few days probably. depends on my work schedule.
correct- I was relapsing into track withdrawl depression knowing that next friday would have been my last trackday but this absolutely made my day!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

monday is my last. or so i thought. ive got work to do on my car over the winter.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I'm gonna try come out on a couple of the days. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Just hope the it's doesn't rain too much on those dates.

woot...I think I saw you on the 9/29 PCA day. Was that you and frenchboy on the first row of cars? I came late and parked in the back. I had the AW E92.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

just run your rain tires. i plan to make it to as many of these as work will allow. see you out there.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I'm interested in hearing how these go as people do them. Some instructors warned me to be ready for passing anywhere and that its a way different environment. I'm down to go but don't want some over agressive wanna be racer getting into me or causing an accident. Someone who goes the first few wvwnts please advise how things go.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
linuxd00d
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

I was right behind a fellow C6 driver at PIR a few years ago on a rainy day. He got just a little off the line at the beginning of the back straight, got into a tank slapper and ended up straight into the wall. And that was not even a passing situation.

So free passing on a wet Pacific Raceways would scare the crap out of me. Like chriszeh said, the odds of getting taken out by a someone who doesn't know what they're doing would be much higher than usual HPDE levels...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

i think i'll stay away... this free passing business sounds too risky to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I'm kind of curious how busy it is gonna be. If there are only 10 cars out there then passing isn't gonna be an issue. I tend to do a little slipping around myself in the wet just don't want an unexpected agressive pass to do me in for the sake of half second. That being said I'm still considering at least trying it out as 100 is cheap even if I don't get many laps in.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I think I might attend an Alfa event in Bremerton in Nov and a PCA skills day in Bremerton but other than that I am done until the spring. Need new front rotors, brake pads, tires, brake fluid, etc etc.
      10-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

yeah i need a lot of stuff too. i just did BMWpedals and Turner stud conversion. have rotors, pads, challenge stainless lines, castrol srf fluid, and gt4 brake duct system in the works. as well as the quickfit pro whenever that becomes available.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm guilty of overindulgence overload on the mod front I got an Akra Evo, ST Trophy and Volk TE37SLs.. :-S I think I'm done modding !
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

dont forget the evolve tune. yeah your good for a while. my mods now are an attempt to maximize my current set up. i have enough power now just need to stop better and turn better and learn to drive more effectively. trying to avoid a bbk and coilovers for the present if i can resist. ideally i will run this way for 2 more seasons then consider a fully preped e46 like barryc. or e30-36 maybe.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Anyone make it out to the TNT last Sunday? Anyone going this Sunday?

Be interested to hear how it went...

Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I think I'm going nov 6th.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

should be interesting. im headed down to this today. morning temps are 28 degrees out and frosty. but supposed to be 50 and no rain so might turn into the perfect day. little worried about the open passing, also thought about the fact that the cones wont be around like usual for markers for braking zone, turn in, apex and exit like before so will make driving the line a new experience as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
should be interesting. im headed down to this today. morning temps are 28 degrees out and frosty. but supposed to be 50 and no rain so might turn into the perfect day. little worried about the open passing, also thought about the fact that the cones wont be around like usual for markers for braking zone, turn in, apex and exit like before so will make driving the line a new experience as well.
good luck!!! stay safe and post up a detailed review when you get back!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

nothing to fear with the open passing. they still had point to pass mostly, just allowed it anywhere. some 70s beater camaro blew some parts on the track and lucky me picked up a screw in a tire. it was right in the rain groove in the center of my ad08 so got it plugged and patched and went back out. ended up setting a PR lap time again. brake ducts also seem to help. was a cooler day but i have never had my rear tires heat up more than my fronts and thats what happened today. cooling air is keeping the fronts temp down so have to start with a higher front pressure then before as it doesnt come up as much.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #20
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
nothing to fear with the open passing. they still had point to pass mostly, just allowed it anywhere. some 70s beater camaro blew some parts on the track and lucky me picked up a screw in a tire. it was right in the rain groove in the center of my ad08 so got it plugged and patched and went back out. ended up setting a PR lap time again. brake ducts also seem to help. was a cooler day but i have never had my rear tires heat up more than my fronts and thats what happened today. cooling air is keeping the fronts temp down so have to start with a higher front pressure then before as it doesnt come up as much.
nice - how many cars showed up and did they run groups?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

yes there were probably 30 cars and they had pro, intermediate, and novice. i picked novice because they told me it had the least people but the skill level was pretty equal between novice and intermediate. at the beginning of the day only one guy was pro so he was in the intermediate so really ran just 2 groups and on for 20 off for 20 all day.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #22
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

going again this saturday for another tnt day. dont really wanna switch to my ad08s but know they are quite a bit faster than the ps2s so probably should take the time to do it.

Appreciate 0