BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

11-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
DTremens
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Washing car at carwash port and waxing at home

I love washing and detailing my car at home, but I was told that I am no longer allowed to do this in our community. I was thinking about going to a carwash port to hand wash. I don't want to claybar and wax at the carwash port (I would rather be at home).

Can I get some opinions/suggestions on driving the car home and then using the claybar and waxing?(i.e. it's ok once in a while - or not recommended...). The drive home would only be 5 minutes. Would driving home and subsequently using the claybar and applying wax be more detrimental than helpful to the paint compared to not doing these steps immediately after washing (and drying)? I'm thinking yes since obviously dust, dirt etc can collect and could cause more harm when claying and waxing.

Obviously, I'm thinking the best answer is to go to a friends house where there isn't this water restriction and doing it all there, but any other ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Who said you can't do it?

If it is in the guidance you received from the water company, then you're better off going to a friends place and doing it all there. If it was just some random person in your neighborhood saying you can't wash your car there, do some research and find out what the exact restrictions are. Honestly, some of these "community leaders" do things that are way out of their scope of responsibility. If I am washing my car, a cop has to tell me I am doing something wrong before I will listen, not some random neighbor. We live in America, we have freedoms. I know I have read people that say they are approached in their neighborhoods by haters that don't like seeing people with a nice car and they tell them not to wash it there. Also some environmental nuts say the same thing because of the dangers and damage to the environment. Whatever... I know in my town I cannot water my lawn or wash the car on certain days of the week (Thursday and Friday I think), but that comes straight from my water company.

The problem with washing it and then driving it somewhere else to clay/wax you'll have a problem with dirt/bugs attaching to the car again. Plus, when you remove the wax at the carport or friends place, the car will be susceptible to more damage since there is no wax/sealant protecting the clearcoat and paint. It's better to do it all at one place and get it done.
      11-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

If it is in the guidance you received from the water company, then you're better off going to a friends place and doing it all there. If it was just some random person in your neighborhood saying you can't wash your car there, do some research and find out what the exact restrictions are. Honestly, some of these "community leaders" do things that are way out of their scope of responsibility. If I am washing my car, a cop has to tell me I am doing something wrong before I will listen, not some random neighbor. We live in America, we have freedoms. I know I have read people that say they are approached in their neighborhoods by haters that don't like seeing people with a nice car and they tell them not to wash it there. Also some environmental nuts say the same thing because of the dangers and damage to the environment. Whatever... I know in my town I cannot water my lawn or wash the car on certain days of the week (Thursday and Friday I think), but that comes straight from my water company.

The problem with washing it and then driving it somewhere else to clay/wax you'll have a problem with dirt/bugs attaching to the car again. Plus, when you remove the wax at the carport or friends place, the car will be susceptible to more damage since there is no wax/sealant protecting the clearcoat and paint. It's better to do it all at one place and get it done.
I have to agree.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
+10000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Also, it's advisable to wash after a full clay bar job.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Wash in the garage. Either pull the hose inside and close the door nearly all the way, or do it with the door close inside if you have a hose sprocket inside the garage. Also look into Optimum No Rinse washes which can be done in your garage.

Before anything, double check and verify the rules.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
DTremens
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice! I think I'll just be going to a friends house to get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Keep us posted on your results

Still interested to see who told you that you're not allowed to do it. It could be legit, but some people are just jerks for no reason because we have nice cars
      11-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

I do exactly that.

Wash and dry the car the DIY carwash port; then drive it home (5min) to do the rest of the detailing job.

The drive gets all the remaining water off the car (I do not have compressed air anyways) and I just do a quick pass/wipe of quick detailer before doing anything else to remove any dirt that might have gotten on during the short drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Also look into Optimum No Rinse washes which can be done in your garage.
Here's your answer. Unless you go mudding in your M3, an Optimum No Rinse wash is a safe, effective, inexpensive and quick way to wash your car. Used correctly, it is no more likely to cause swirls than a traditional wash.

Here's my baby. Over a year since any correction was done, and strictly ONR washed CAREFULLY in that time. I love the stuff, couldn't live without it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
Here's your answer. Unless you go mudding in your M3, an Optimum No Rinse wash is a safe, effective, inexpensive and quick way to wash your car. Used correctly, it is no more likely to cause swirls than a traditional wash.

Here's my baby. Over a year since any correction was done, and strictly ONR washed CAREFULLY in that time. I love the stuff, couldn't live without it.
I use ONR occasionally. It really depends how dirty the car is. If your car is daily driven and covered in dirt, mud and/or bugs, you can not ONR. Even with ONR pre-soak, it will mar the surface.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I use ONR occasionally. It really depends how dirty the car is. If your car is daily driven and covered in dirt, mud and/or bugs, you can not ONR. Even with ONR pre-soak, it will mar the surface.
True, it does depend on many factors. I have found bugs are one thing that won't phase ONR. If they aren't left to sit for too long, a MF towel dipped in ONR solution and kept in place over the bug remains for a minute will soften them up so that you don't need a dedicated tar/bug remover.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

How do you guys wash with the no rinse in the garage? doesnt the floor get soaked?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
How do you guys wash with the no rinse in the garage? doesnt the floor get soaked?
You're only using 2 gallons of water to wash, and not even the whole 2 gallons ever makes it onto the car. You'll have more water on the garage floor if you pull in from the rain.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
I do exactly that.

Wash and dry the car the DIY carwash port; then drive it home (5min) to do the rest of the detailing job.

The drive gets all the remaining water off the car (I do not have compressed air anyways) and I just do a quick pass/wipe of quick detailer before doing anything else to remove any dirt that might have gotten on during the short drive.
Thats what I do. Not allowed to wash your car in your driveway in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Super Silver GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I'd f@cking wash my car in the driveway anyway... before and after I'd rev the shit out of the car too.
Hate hate hate. I love it.
2008 IB E92 ON BLACK| 6 SPD | NAVIGATION | IPOD W/USB | CF ROOF | 20% TINT | 8000K ALPINE HID | GLOSS BLACK KIDNEYS | PAINTED REFLECTORS | PAINTED SIDE GILLS | TINTED LEDs | H&R SPRINGS | VORSTEINER CF TRUNK | VORSTEINER CF DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER CF FRONT LIP | MACHT SCHNELL | CONTINENTAL |
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Also, it's advisable to wash after a full clay bar job.
+1 wash before and after clay. then wax right after for best results and no scratches.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Wash in the garage. Either pull the hose inside and close the door nearly all the way, or do it with the door close inside if you have a hose sprocket inside the garage. Also look into Optimum No Rinse washes which can be done in your garage.

Before anything, double check and verify the rules.
use this....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
HT1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

ONR should not be used on anything but a car with very light road film. Anything more serious results in swirls in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I'd f@cking wash my car in the driveway anyway... before and after I'd rev the shit out of the car too.
I swear you take the words right out of my mouth everytime!

Seriously though washing it at the car wash and bringing it home to detail is fine. I actually prefer to do this because you have the advantage of rinsing your car off with spot free water. I only live 2 min away so I'm not too worried about attracting dirt. The second I get home I use new microfiber towels with some "quick detailer spray" and wipe down the car. Then I can start the clay and wax with no hard water in any little crevice!

Oh and dont forget to rev the car when finished! (for best results pls remove all cats)
Appreciate 0