BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

11-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #45
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber View Post
i am a BMW owner and snob myself. Just calling a spade a spade
I'm a bmw owner a little bit of a snob and white.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #46
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this makes me laugh and really makes speedaddictM3's point about the snobbish BMW community so true

these generalizations are hilarious. Of the 50 or so gtr owners ive met on the race track over the years i would be a high number of them would be faster at the track than most people in their own cars
This I doubt. I feel like developing outstanding track skills requires a car that doesn't do the heavy lifting for you. My guess is I could get in a gtr and extract 90 percent right off and a miata and get about 50 percent.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #47
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Impressive performance. Though I wonder if would be cheaper to buy a standard one and just mod it (aftermarket tunes make more power) to the point where it is competitive with the Nismo... That all depends on how much extra they charge above the standard.

Also impressive that they made an ugly car uglier (obviously my opionion on that one!)
It is not only about "hardware", it is also about "software", especially data and tuning. But I guess all cars are tuned for their track, Porsche N-Ring, Ferrari Fiorano, McLaren TopGear etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
you are correct bmw and porsche have lost their way somewhat and diluted the brand in this generation appealing to the masses rather than making the ultimate cars. porsche and bmw were so special because they made what they claimed they did in the past. cars for real drivers. thats why you see 911s particularly gt3s being the fastest thing at most track days. gtrs show up rarely and are driven by people who can go fast without actually being fast themselves.

i dont want a new bmw or porsche either for similar reasons i dont want a gtr. gtr just beat the world to computer controlled numbers as you put it and now world is following suit because unfortunaly to the masses that dont have a clue thats what is most important. they cant actually lap the ring in 7:08 or turn a good lap anywhere else but can brag that if someone who actually knew what they were doing was driving it could, who cares. mod the driver not the car.
And most Ferrari's are driven in the evening in 1st and 2nd gear at full throttle in the city centre and parked in front of cafes, bars, restaurants and clubs.

Quote:
This I doubt. I feel like developing outstanding track skills requires a car that doesn't do the heavy lifting for you. My guess is I could get in a gtr and extract 90 percent right off and a miata and get about 50 percent.

What do you want to prove? All I can say is that you drive an E46 because it is the best car BMW has built, and everything after it is not that. So BMW is as good as Nissan in that way, but still without sportscar.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #48
Archiebabes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, Huracan EVO, R35 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
still such an ugly car
Ugly you say? It looks sexy to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #49
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

GTR is unique. There is nothing else like it out there. Unlike BMW where every model looks the same. Just some models have more M badges than others.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #50
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiebabes View Post
Looks great

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #51
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiebabes View Post
i like everything about except the wheel color. Wish they would have changed it up from standard black for a change.

I think my gtr looks way better without the black wheels...

8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #52
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

What do you want to prove? All I can say is that you drive an E46 because it is the best car BMW has built, and everything after it is not that. So BMW is as good as Nissan in that way, but still without sportscar.
Nothing really. I picked a car that would give me a good driving experience at a price level I could deal with. If I was loaded I would own one of everything just for the hell of it. I ideally would like a purist lightweight car a middle of the road car and an ass kicker high hp one if I could choose for the track. For now I have a very capabale track car and my street car is a means to tow my track car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #53
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I could care less what manufacturer makes a car as long as it is a good car to drive.

If the M3 was made by Hyundai, I'd be a proud Hyundai owner right now... what really matters is how you feel behind the wheel when you are turning laps around a track.

Good job Nissan, keep it up. Other manufacturers need to pick up the pace. I still wish they'd make a manual transmission GT-R. That'd be an awesome combo.
      11-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #54
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Nothing really. I picked a car that would give me a good driving experience at a price level I could deal with. If I was loaded I would own one of everything just for the hell of it. I ideally would like a purist lightweight car a middle of the road car and an ass kicker high hp one if I could choose for the track. For now I have a very capabale track car and my street car is a means to tow my track car.
I don't act any differently. I just felt you being on a BMW community were bashing the GT-R for the sake of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I could care less what manufacturer makes a car as long as it is a good car to drive.

If the M3 was made by Hyundai, I'd be a proud Hyundai owner right now... what really matters is how you feel behind the wheel when you are turning laps around a track.

Good job Nissan, keep it up. Other manufacturers need to pick up the pace. I still wish they'd make a manual transmission GT-R. That'd be an awesome combo.
Wouldn't a manual be the opposite of what Nissan tried to achieve? The days of manual RWD turbo I6 GT-R's are for ever gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #55
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I don't act any differently. I just felt you being on a BMW community were bashing the GT-R for the sake of it.
Nah, its a very crazy capable car just not for me. I appreciate a lot of cars, but am not in the position to own them all sadly. I drank some bmw koolaid once but they are spoiling my brand and I'm going backwards to find the things I like not forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #56
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Impressive performance. Though I wonder if would be cheaper to buy a standard one and just mod it (aftermarket tunes make more power) to the point where it is competitive with the Nismo... That all depends on how much extra they charge above the standard.

Also impressive that they made an ugly car uglier (obviously my opionion on that one!)
It is not only about "hardware", it is also about "software", especially data and tuning. But I guess all cars are tuned for their track, Porsche N-Ring, Ferrari Fiorano, McLaren TopGear etc.

Quote:
you are correct bmw and porsche have lost their way somewhat and diluted the brand in this generation appealing to the masses rather than making the ultimate cars. porsche and bmw were so special because they made what they claimed they did in the past. cars for real drivers. thats why you see 911s particularly gt3s being the fastest thing at most track days. gtrs show up rarely and are driven by people who can go fast without actually being fast themselves.

i dont want a new bmw or porsche either for similar reasons i dont want a gtr. gtr just beat the world to computer controlled numbers as you put it and now world is following suit because unfortunaly to the masses that dont have a clue thats what is most important. they cant actually lap the ring in 7:08 or turn a good lap anywhere else but can brag that if someone who actually knew what they were doing was driving it could, who cares. mod the driver not the car.
And most Ferrari's are driven in the evening in 1st and 2nd gear at full throttle in the city centre and parked in front of cafes, bars, restaurants and clubs.

Quote:

A tune as I pointed out is software. The hardware changes like suspension and chassis update will also help. But I bet most people that own AND track the car won't notice the difference between the nismo and a stock GTR with a modified suspension which is probably a cheaper route. The car is very capable and I welcome the update, it just isnt worth the extra money for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #57
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Anyone see the video of the run? Epic lap time no doubt but did anyone notice the amount of understeer through the corners? Maybe the engineers were trying for a stable setup and relying on power on the straights and high speed sections to gain advantage? But massive wash through almost every corner.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #58
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD

Your driver > car rhetoric is so tired. I think you've convinced yourself of being a "driver" from tracking a 10 year old car but your neglecting the advancements of performance vehicles entirely. The Nissan is a beast. Though it may not appeal to everyone nothing should be taken away from it or the driver behind it. Watch the run and you'll see the shear speed at which the driver has to control the GTR through. I takes balls, talent and experience to drive like this. Let's see you do it in the identical car.

The end
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #59
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #60
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
Im in the middle of purchasing a GTR, the body kit is still ugly! Its an opinion, I think were allowed to have them
I actually happen to agree that the GTR isn't a fine looking car in terms of styling. But this is beating a dead horse. It has already been debated to death in the 5 years the car has been out. Does it have to be mentioned again in every single thread about the GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
Impressive time by Nissan and Nismo.. But it's still a GT-R and they somehow managed to make it even uglier. I hope the new GT-R generation looks better.
No argument from me about the styling since I agree it isn't very appealing. But form follows function and all the aero additions actually make the car go faster. It's not like some ricer bought a cheap wing off ebay and put it on his Civic But what does your statement mean about it still being a GTR? What did you expect it to be? An alien ship?
Quote:
Oh and the GT3RS stickers and wheels and etc aren't orange, they are red..
I would GLADLY have one over a GTR and just because you won't, doesn't make you or me wrong. It's just a matter of opinion, so relax. Don't turn another non-german car thread into bashing Porsche or BMW. You look stupid. I hope one day you can be happy and get the Japanese or American car of your dreams.

Red, orange. Makes no difference. My point was that many people who bash the GTR for its alleged boy racer image are being hypocritical, because they would happily drive a GT3RS despite it being just as boy racerish with all those crazy coloured body parts, wheels, seatbelts, racing stripes, giant wing, etc.
I see what you did there...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #61
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Your driver > car rhetoric is so tired. I think you've convinced yourself of being a "driver" from tracking a 10 year old car but your neglecting the advancements of performance vehicles entirely. The Nissan is a beast. Though it may not appeal to everyone nothing should be taken away from it or the driver behind it. Watch the run and you'll see the shear speed at which the driver has to control the GTR through. I takes balls, talent and experience to drive like this. Let's see you do it in the identical car.

The end
so the car is the important part not the driver. got it. thats why gtrs are popular. i want one now since you convinced me. were do i sign up.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #62
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

its a great car. but i wont want one because the car is due for a exterior update or next gen GTR.

although i love the car inside and out. VERY rare for me to like a 6 cylinder engine. but i have always been a Nissan fan.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #63
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Cayman, GTR, M235, Boxster S,

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
wow. i don't know what's more crazy. that insane lap time. Or how Nissan can, for the price Porsche would charge for their run of the mill twin turbo Beetle, offer a track beast that can keep up with >$1million hypercars, yet all the snobbish idiots here think of is how "ugly" it is. Excuse me?????

How many of you would not give their left nuts for one of these:

Orange wheels? Ginormous rear wing with orange tips? Orange front bumper insert? Orange mirror caps? Orange racing stripes ending in a large obnoxious "GT3RS" logo on either side of the car? Orange seatbelts and door handle straps? How is any of this not ugly and boy racer style?

Wake me up when the "ultimate driving machine" company makes anything that's worthy of licking the dust of the GTR Nismo's tires.

I will wake you up in about 25 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #64
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Cayman, GTR, M235, Boxster S,

Quote:
i like everything about except the wheel color. Wish they would have changed it up from standard black for a change.

I think my gtr looks way better without the black wheels...

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #65
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Everybody it's called the 2015 porsche turbo s coupe; this thing will Shit on the GTR in any category. MSRP is a slap in the face starting at around $190,00.00

But 0-60 time is 2.7 sec
Just a monster in my eyes and now with the new look, it has a super car look and is well worthy of comparing it to other higher end cars such as the F12, 599 GTB, 458, Gallardo…

Looked at one and drove one yesterday at south shore porsche and it's nuts... I've been in a 700hp GTR once full throttle; but something about the porsche that makes it scary when your driving it because your thinking in your head "how it should be similar like the GTR"; I was wrong this car has a deferent distinct feel than any other car and believe me i have driven a lot of high end cars, you won't be disappointed with the New turbo.

2-3 gears are mind fucking it's a drug!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #66
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
Everybody it's called the 2015 porsche turbo s coupe; this thing will Shit on the GTR in any category. MSRP is a slap in the face starting at around $190,00.00

But 0-60 time is 2.7 sec
Just a monster in my eyes and now with the new look, it has a super car look and is well worthy of comparing it to other higher end cars such as the F12, 599 GTB, 458, Gallardo…

Looked at one and drove one yesterday at south shore porsche and it's nuts... I've been in a 700hp GTR once full throttle; but something about the porsche that makes it scary when your driving it because your thinking in your head "how it should be similar like the GTR"; I was wrong this car has a deferent distinct feel than any other car and believe me i have driven a lot of high end cars, you won't be disappointed with the New turbo.

2-3 gears are mind fucking it's a drug!

It wont shit on the Nismo and 911 Turbos and Turbo Ss are stupid expensive and will depreciate faster than almost any other 911.
And I wouldn't say a 2.7 second 0-60 is shitting on the 2.8 second 0-60 of a standard GTR.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0