BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

06-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

GTR vs M3. Any reasons to not get a GTR?

I'm starting to fall in love with GTR performance but I'm still on the fence.

I think I can live with the lesser quality interior & the "no warranty" on drive train if launch control is used.

Anyone have any pearls of info that could be used as ammo to talk me out of getting a GTR?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK

easy, go drive one. you may not buy it afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

I've heard that the ride is firmer, how would it's softest setting compare to the M3's firmest?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
M3 996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
I've heard that the ride is firmer, how would it's softest setting compare to the M3's firmest?
Softest setting on the GTR is firmer than the firmest M3 setting. The GTR is one hell of a car tho. I have driven both, bought the M3, but would be proud to have either in my garage.

If you want looks and attention... GTR 100%
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

There's been plenty of discussions... or at least a couple. A search should yield much info.

My one piece of useless advice none too pertinent to your dilemma... save your money and buy a GT3!
      06-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

Sounds like the GTR is cock stiff in the ride quality dept.

That may be a deal breaker. Getting old I guess....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
camcar33
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

As a daily driver the M3s second to none. However if ur looking for a car to drive purely for fun on occasion then the GTR may win out, test drive both. Either way id personally go with an M3 but im biased
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

The GT-R will always be a Nissan. The M3 will always be a BMW.

Yes you're getting a better performance car in the GT-R, but if you're going to make it your daily driver, it'll eventually get to you that you didn't get the refinement that you could've had from an M3.

I would say you're getting a whole lot of performance and little refinement from the GT-R. In the M3, you're getting probably the most well-balanced performance vehicle in production today. And if you opt fot the 6 speed manual in the M3, that will make it a much more involving drive than the GT-R. At the end, the M3 is not nearly as quick around a race track compared to a GT-R......But the M3 is a much better driver's car especially with the 6 speed manual, which is not offered by the GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
camcar33
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post

Yes you're getting a better performance car in the GT-R, but if you're going to make it your daily driver, it'll eventually get to you that you didn't get the refinement that you could've had from an M3.

I would say you're getting a whole lot of performance and little refinement from the GT-R. In the M3, you're getting probably the most well-balanced performance vehicle in production today. And if you opt fot the 6 speed manual in the M3, that will make it a much more involving drive than the GT-R. At the end, the M3 is not nearly as quick around a race track compared to a GT-R......But the M3 is a much better driver's car.
well said
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep

You guys are making it difficult for me.

I have the 6 speed already & I wish I would have gone with the DCT.

AMJ77 took me for a ride in his DCT and the quick shifts kinda gave me a boner.

The overall "refinement" is what I would probably miss.

Decisions.....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

BTW the warranty issue with launch control has been resolved by Nissan. They reduced the RPM for launch and no more problems with the transmission. A byproduct of this was even faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times which Nissan did not expect.

Once the newness of the GTR wears off it will get old as a daily driver. It would make a fantastic weekend toy though.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

If you can afford the swap. Do it. Drive the GT-R. It is unreal. The only thing is the DCT is super smooth. Smoother then the M3, and it may get "boring". Feels like an auto. Shifts are lighting quick. The car just plain feels fast at low speed.

The car does few very big though. Much bigger then the M3. If I could do it again I would probably would have gone the GT-R route.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

maintenance
      06-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm starting to fall in love with GTR performance but I'm still on the fence.

I think I can live with the lesser quality interior & the "no warranty" on drive train if launch control is used.

Anyone have any pearls of info that could be used as ammo to talk me out of getting a GTR?
It's Japanese. No offense to the Japanese...I'm one of them
But just like their bikes, the Japanese are masters at building fast, efficient, reliable quality vehicles. But they just got no personality or feeling, are a bore to drive, and have bland syling, think Lexus. I think the GTR looks like they tried too hard and overdid it in the syling department. Like they didn't know when to stop.

The europeans may not be as reliable, fuel efficient, or precisely built, but they've got personality, style, and are DRIVERS' cars. A Japanese vehicle is something you operate. A European vehicle becomes like an extension of you every time you hop in. They just engage the driver unlike any Japanese car can.

Just my opinion.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 02:01 AM   #16
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Nissan rep told me they'll void your warranty for dyno, tracking, or any mods, above and beyond the LC. This was on an 09, after they changed the LC rpms.
      06-27-2009, 02:01 AM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Many of the issues have been highlighted already. Surely if only performance matters go with the GT-R, no brainer. The draw backs are:

-Ride is bone jarring stiff. Might be due in part to the run flats.
-Warranty issues
-Cost of service is absurd
-No real back seats
-PS2-ish dash/interior
-Price keeps going up
-A bit of a boring/insulated/tame drive (that can be good and bad)
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #18
smokes
Registered
Rep
Drives: awaiting m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Nissan rep told me they'll void your warranty for dyno, tracking, or any mods, above and beyond the LC. This was on an 09, after they changed the LC rpms.
this is true. heres a link about their warranty
http://jalopnik.com/5201918/2010-gt+...black-box-data

why not to buy
-price
-maintenance
-easily voided warranty- no LC,track, dyno,
-black box-records all data-so they will know when you're racing,lc, or anything -not allowing them to access to box=loss of warranty
-some people tried launch control and blew the tranny=voided warranty+new tranny=20k
-basically its a beast on a leash and driving it will cause you to lose your warranty. lol

besides. doesnt seem like it would work well as an everyday car, but i guess it doesnt work well on the track either with the possibility of blowing your tranny so easily.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:37 AM   #19
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

GTR suspension is at least twice as stiff as the M3. The GTR in "comfort" mode is much harsher than the M3 in Sport mode. Even if you have stiffer springs on the M3 the GTR is still much harsher.

GTR lip scrapes on the smallest of inclines

GTR is missing a lot of the nice touches of the M3 and BMW in general.

I have driven both extensively, I can probably answer any questions you have.

The GTR is the closest thing you will find to this on the street unless you have Veyron money.
      06-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #20
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post

I would say you're getting a whole lot of performance and little refinement from the GT-R. In the M3, you're getting probably the most well-balanced performance vehicle in production today. And if you opt fot the 6 speed manual in the M3, that will make it a much more involving drive than the GT-R. At the end, the M3 is not nearly as quick around a race track compared to a GT-R......But the M3 is a much better driver's car especially with the 6 speed manual, which is not offered by the GT-R.
No offense, but I don't think you've driven a GTR. And I'm not sure you've ever driven an M3, either.
      06-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #21
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Quote:
You guys are making it difficult for me.

I have the 6 speed already & I wish I would have gone with the DCT.

AMJ77 took me for a ride in his DCT and the quick shifts kinda gave me a boner.

The overall "refinement" is what I would probably miss.

Decisions.....
+1 and took a spin in my buddys car, and I wish I had a DCT now and of course having a boner all the time is a good thing
      06-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #22
vamosvanos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

I've had the GTR for a few months. Yes performance is awesome despite its weight. I could live with the 'launch issues' since I don't launch anyway but the 'solenoid issue' on the tranny was just too much. Numerous cases were reported without using LC and because they were driven hard. But it's different for me here in the Phil's since there is zero dealer support on the car. All cars were grey market imports. The car is a beast and can be easily modded to gain 50 to 75 BHP (just on a reflash). But having the DCT now makes me a happy camper on my M3. The car is involving, gives a full aural experience and looks just great even on stock form. Maybe it's not as fast but I am now of the paradigm that perhaps I don't need such a fast car since I don't really track the car. So it really depends what you want. If getting a great time on the 1/4 mile is a priority than its the car for you. But if you want car that is gorgeous to look at, sit four comfortably and has a great induction sound with RWD to boot not to mention a great handling car with good BHP - the M3 is it!