BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
sinajoon7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

any other intake systems besides Gruppe M???

i know the Gruppe M intake is awesome but its a lil too pricey for me at the moment... was looking for some other alternatives... obviously i would be looking for one that makes more power for cheaper but i really want to get one for the sound difference... i think this s65 motor would sound absolutely incredible with an open intake system but obviously BMW's design is holding back from making a simple intake system that actually gains performance as well because of the snorkle + the vacuum design...

was just wondering if any other companies were planning on making a nice intake system for this car that didnt cost like 3k or something...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

just do a drop in filter 85$ and only about 2 less hp than the gruppe M...awesome sound to totally changes the intake sounds. Car sounds much meaner

User name lmims526894rou

Or contact me at chrism9551@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
just do a drop in filter 85$ and only about 2 less hp than the gruppe M...awesome sound to totally changes the intake sounds. Car sounds much meaner
Hi buddy,

I highly agree with Camaross... If i am not mistaken, BMC Airfilters have a nice drop in system that is worth looking at. Alternatively there is itg or afe that have a pretty nice free flow drop in media.

I have to admit, the Gruppe M is a lil steep in price but i suppose you have to justify if you are going to keep the car for a long time (i.e. 5yrs -7yrs). In my case I've always wanted an M3 from the E36 - E46, but i never got the chance until the E92 coupe came along. So yea thats how i justified.

Either ways bud, I am sure the 3 filters that I mentioned do a pretty good job. Hope you find my recommendations helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

You wont be complaining once you get the GruppeM. With an engine like the S65, the induction sound is unbelievable. Esp when you are mid-high RPM where your exhaust kinda mellows down. Now thats some scary shit. I made dogs whine when i blow the engine. IMO a drop in air filter cannot give the kinda sound the GruppeM does becaues the design and material for the GruppeM is different. There is just much more sound across the mid- high rev ranges.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #5
sinajoon7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous M View Post
Hi buddy,

I highly agree with Camaross... If i am not mistaken, BMC Airfilters have a nice drop in system that is worth looking at. Alternatively there is itg or afe that have a pretty nice free flow drop in media.

I have to admit, the Gruppe M is a lil steep in price but i suppose you have to justify if you are going to keep the car for a long time (i.e. 5yrs -7yrs). In my case I've always wanted an M3 from the E36 - E46, but i never got the chance until the E92 coupe came along. So yea thats how i justified.

Either ways bud, I am sure the 3 filters that I mentioned do a pretty good job. Hope you find my recommendations helpful.

thanks man,

I am definitely jealous of your setup! i saw your thread above!!! looks absolutely perfect.. i might end up getting the gruppe M intake later on in the future if no other companies come out with their setups once i have some extra cash to shed but im practically broke now since i blew all my play money on wheels/tires, kw v3's, and the amuse kit...

aFe is the most popluar drop in it seems like?

any vendors on here pm me the lowest price for the aFe filter shipped to 92677 please
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinajoon7 View Post
thanks man,

I am definitely jealous of your setup! i saw your thread above!!! looks absolutely perfect.. i might end up getting the gruppe M intake later on in the future if no other companies come out with their setups once i have some extra cash to shed but im practically broke now since i blew all my play money on wheels/tires, kw v3's, and the amuse kit...

aFe is the most popluar drop in it seems like?

any vendors on here pm me the lowest price for the aFe filter shipped to 92677 please
Cheers mate...

Dude, I just realized that you have an Alpine White ride too ay. Thats awesome. Vendors wise try giving Nick from jlevistreetwerks.com or Ron from **********s.com a go. They're pretty good and are members on the forum.

Have you done an exhaust too?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

If you are looking for just a replacement filter, I would go with the aFe Drop In Filter in Oiled form. This will improve air flow and be fairly easy to maintain/install for a quick solution.

If you want something more comprehensive, all I can say is wait about a month for the new aFe intake for the E9X M3
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Where can I purchase the GruppeM Ram Air System from?

Thanks
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, MSM, Clubman S

Pencil Geek, do you feel adding the front scoops with the air intake will help with hp/tq and flow?
      12-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Where can I purchase the GruppeM Ram Air System from?

Thanks
Hi mate,

I would recommend purchasing the GRUPPE M intake directly from Japan as I did, unless there is a distributor where you are.

My good mate is the sole distributor for Brunei and what I can do is ask him if he can request for cost price as he did for me from JPN to you in the US. He did that for me in Brunei. Basically you will be cc correspondences between him and Gruppe M. let me know so I can ask him.

U'll make payment to Gruppe M directly so don't worry about 3rd party payment.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
sge92
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
If you are looking for just a replacement filter, I would go with the aFe Drop In Filter in Oiled form. This will improve air flow and be fairly easy to maintain/install for a quick solution.

If you want something more comprehensive, all I can say is wait about a month for the new aFe intake for the E9X M3
any ballpark idea on pricing?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
in867
Lateral G
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i; 20 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sge92 View Post
any ballpark idea on pricing?
Or a good place to buy?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
sinajoon7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate,

I would recommend purchasing the GRUPPE M intake directly from Japan as I did, unless there is a distributor where you are.

My good mate is the sole distributor for Brunei and what I can do is ask him if he can request for cost price as he did for me from JPN to you in the US. He did that for me in Brunei. Basically you will be cc correspondences between him and Gruppe M. let me know so I can ask him.

Hey bud,

if you can hook me up with the gruppe M at cost i will gladly purchase that from you. let me know if you can hook it up for a fellow AW E92 M
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #14
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi mate,

Hi Mischievous, thanks, please if you don't mind.... Ask your friend and see what kind of price I can get.. I do not see a distributor here in the US, so it is hard for me to see what kind of price I'm looking for.

Thank you, Eric
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Hi Mischievous, thanks, please if you don't mind.... Ask your friend and see what kind of price I can get.. I do not see a distributor here in the US, so it is hard for me to see what kind of price I'm looking for.

Thank you, Eric
Hi Eric,

No problem buddy... my mate is pretty transparent. Tell you what if you PM me your email address... i can forward you the cost price that I paid Gruppe M directly using my mate's cost price + distributor discount.

Fair?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #16
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi Eric,

No problem buddy... my mate is pretty transparent. Tell you what if you PM me your email address... i can forward you the cost price that I paid Gruppe M directly using my mate's cost price + distributor discount.

Fair?

Thanks, just sent you a PM...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
William Blake
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 08 MINI Cooper S Clubman

I think the stock airbox is already pretty much perfect..

How does the Gruppe M sound like?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #18
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Talk to Julius@WheelSto, they are are a sponsor here and sell the Gruppe M
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blake View Post
I think the stock airbox is already pretty much perfect..

How does the Gruppe M sound like?
hi mate... the GRUPPE M sound wicked. i know its a pretty bold statement but during the mid range pull all the way to top end, the intake brings your M3 to life. Love the prominent sound of the hard hissing / air suction when the intake pulls.

Yea i do agree the stock box is pretty good and could be improved with a drop in air box but i decided to spoil myself as a birthday treat. hehe
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Look here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=Airbox
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #21
COR Photographer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

drop in
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Riss Racing will be coming out with an intake system for our cars in the near future...

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0