BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-29-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

why?? stock wheel not wider

i know there is a point where going wider on wheels becomes a waste too much weight, neg effects handling,,but since everyone is upgrading to wider wheels why wouldnt they just come from bmw factory like this with 10.5 rears. maybe stupid question but if they helped grip so much wouldnt bmw just do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

For the same reason they didn't release the car 1" lower, 500 lbs lighter, with 50 more HP and 100 ft-lbs more torque. Just because they could doesn't mean they should.
      05-29-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
i know there is a point where going wider on wheels becomes a waste too much weight, neg effects handling,,but since everyone is upgrading to wider wheels why wouldnt they just come from bmw factory like this with 10.5 rears. maybe stupid question but if they helped grip so much wouldnt bmw just do it?
Cars even great performers are really from the design, engineering and manufacturing perspective a huge exercise in balancing compromises. Wheels and tires are just one more area where there was a compromise. I'd bet the stock wheels are the width they are based primarily on their ability to meet performance requirements while being lighter and less expensive than wider wheels. Remember that to keep the under/over steer balance requires 4 wider wheels and perhaps 4 wider tires, not just one. There is quite a lot of cost there. The car also has to have wheel well clearance for chains believe it or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

They did it so enthusiasts could completely re-engineer it and finally get it right and feel good about fixing all of BMW's shortcomings.
      05-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Cars even great performers are really from the design, engineering and manufacturing perspective a huge exercise in balancing compromises. Wheels and tires are just one more area where there was a compromise. I'd bet the stock wheels are the width they are based primarily on their ability to meet performance requirements while being lighter and less expensive than wider wheels. Remember that to keep the under/over steer balance requires 4 wider wheels and perhaps 4 wider tires, not just one. There is quite a lot of cost there. The car also has to have wheel well clearance for chains believe it or not.
Good post. It is all about balance between competing variables. Another one of those variables is performance in wet or slushy conditions and hydroplaning, which becomes more problematic the wider the tire. BMW strives to create a compromise that results in good performance under all conditions.

My previous C6 Z06 on monster tires was nothing short of amazing on the track, but it could be scary at 65 mph on the freeway in heavy rain because of hydroplaning. There's nothing that will give you an adrenalin rush quicker than water skiiing in a high-performance car.
      05-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

because they wouldn't want to create an M3 that understeers....

plus wider rear wheel = more unsprung weight and more rolling resistance which negatively affects performance
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
There's nothing that will give you an adrenalin rush quicker than water skiiing in a high-performance car.
Well,ice skating will! Good response, swamp.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Don't forget about gas mileage in the compromise equation. I think the two biggest variables when it comes to this are performance and gas milage. The cost difference between making a 9.5" wide wheel vs. a 10" wide wheel is negligible and anti-hydroplaning characteristics falls under performance (but is more of a tire trait than wheel width). Same with comfort.

The more performance-oriented the toal package, the higher the cost and upkeep (see Ferrari, Porsche, etc.), and the lesser the waranty. I think a better question is why did BMW go with 1/2" widths at all (most brands go with widths on the whole number). I think BMW could have went with 18x9 and 18x10, 255/35 and 275/35 with very little ill-affect on gas mileage and comfort, and not much more cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Don't forget about gas mileage in the compromise equation. I think the two biggest variables when it comes to this are performance and gas milage. The cost difference between making a 9.5" wide wheel vs. a 10" wide wheel is negligible and anti-hydroplaning characteristics falls under performance (but is more of a tire trait than wheel width). Same with comfort.

The more performance-oriented the total package, the higher the cost and upkeep (see Ferrari, Porsche, etc.), and the lesser the waranty. I think a better question is why did BMW go with 1/2" widths at all (most brands go with widths on the whole number). I think BMW could have went with 18x9 and 18x10, 255/35 and 275/35 with very little ill-affect on gas mileage and comfort, and not much more cost.
1/2" widths are a non-issue. They obviously came up with the combo they thought would be best overall. We tend to forget that this forum is the most "radical" 10% of all owners. A major manufacturer cannot cater to our desires at the expense of their "average" customer. And frankly, it would be boring if they did. What would we have to talk about here if the car was perfect for our needs already? Even among this group there is a wide diversity from track fanatics to DD types. In the best of all worlds, I guess, you would be able to order the car exactly as you wanted it - ride height, tire & wheel size, all options, etc. That is not going to happen realistically in a production car; Ferrari or Lamborghini, I'm sure it's more possible.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Well I can say that I after putting 255/35/19 F and 295/30/19 R on mine that I didn't see much of an increase in higher cornering limits like I thought I would. It looks mean from the back, but from a performance standpoint the increase is marginal at best if any at all.

I am sure it helps with traction (if the M3 had more TQ than it does) but from a cornering standpoint, I don't think so.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0