BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

09-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Dog owners please chime in: Raising dogs in apartments

So recently, my lady friend and I have been thinking about raising a dog. We live in a 1 bedroom apartment. How do you think the dog will do in the apartments? We are looking into Golden Retrievers since they have a very good temperament and aren't too crazy.

Ideally, we would walk it/ take it outside regularly and give it plenty of exercise. I know they aren't the ideal apartment dogs but we really want to raise one. I just hope that it wont get stressed from living in a small place.

I've had plenty of dogs my life, and although they were raised outdoors (at my parents house), I have a good idea of what it takes.

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

man, don't do that for a big dog like a golden. those dogs need yards. apartment dogs are much smaller than that. i just wouldn't think it would be fair to have that big a dog in a 1 bedroom apartment. plus, goldens shed crazy amounts of long hairs. you'll be cleaning constantly.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

I've had 2 different dogs in my apartments (2-1 bedroom, 1-2 bedroom). The first one was a border collie/chow mix and she was fantastic, not one issue with exercise or tempermant and my second one is a Royal Bahamian Potcake and I have the exact same sentiment. Both dogs were/are about 45-50lbs. Enjoy the love.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I prefer a small puppy since you are living in a small apartment complex. You can't consistently take it out 24/7. When you go to work, the dogs will have to stay at home.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

I had to get a yorkie for my 1/1 he does well its like a castle for him lol.

Last edited by Andrew@ET; 09-12-2011 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Smaller dogs who do not need a lot of room or outdoor activities will do fine. Don't forget the regular 2-3 walks of 20-30 minutes each daily so the pooch can get her proper exercise.

And please adopt one ...Don't buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We have considered other small dogs as well but really had our mind set on a golden...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
We have considered other small dogs as well but really had our mind set on a golden...
Anything above a Cocker Spaniel's size is not fair to the dog, IMHO. It does not have to be a yapper pocket dog necessarily.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

I have a yellow lab(6 years old). Every time I take him to my grandparents one bedroom apartment he feels very cramped and gloomy. When he comes back home he runs all over the house and usually we let him get it all out in the backyard with a little basketball. Yes he loves playing basketball lol. I'd highly reccomend against a larger dog because of the lack of room. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
You should be fine as long as you walk & run the dog on a regular basis.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

I say go small or not at all.

x2 on adopting
      09-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Buy the ring first... If you're like me you will love the pet longer than your gf. Having to decide who gets the dog when you're relationship falls apart sucks.
      09-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I think it would be O.K. if the dog was walked regularly. Another thing is how big is your one bedroom apt. because some are shoeboxs while others do offer some more room.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Buy the ring first... If you're like me you will love the pet longer than your gf. Having to decide who gets the dog when you're relationship falls apart sucks.
this. lol, that's currently in the planning process (I think)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have been doing a lot of reading on forums, websites, etc and found this great write-up from owners that have experienced raising a golden in a apartment/ condo.

Quote:
Now as of late, I have had quite a few people express concern about raising a dog in a city and in an apartment.. so I'm here to just give my 2 cents about it. being a city dog owner.

Before I started to look at breeders (who, for the most part, have been understanding and willing to listen to my personal situation) I took a look at rescues to find a dog and well.. lets just say it didn't go well. The minute I mentioned apartment I was turned down by every.single.rescue I spoke to. and in my opinion, this is wrong. they knew nothing else about me.
Is a dog so much better off living in a crowded foster home or shelter than.. *GASP* an apartment?

City life is different. yea.I will be the first to admit it.
My golden won't be running free in our acre backyard catching and retrieving ducks, so many could argue that this isn't a goldens "natural" environment but really.. is that really rare these days? how many dogs live the life in the same kind of environment that their ancestors did once upon a time?
Dogs adapt. they always have.

so heres to settle some rumors flying around..

"Your dog will be cooped up and miserable in a city/apartment. These dogs need exercise!"
ALL the large dogs that I know who live in the city get PLENTY of exercise and attention (even moreso than the dogs who live in "regular homes" that I know)
Why? because you don't have a choice lol the dog has got to go out, you've gotta walk em. there is no "oh just let him/her out into the yard", its not even an option. and its not like you can ignore them, you are sharing a space with them, they are with you constantly and there is no yard to put them in lol
My dog will be able to go out with me every day, have fun at the park EVERY DAY and go for walks and play. Why is this so bad? Does having a backyard for her really matter?

and as for living in small spaces.. come on. I know dogs who spend 6 hours a day in crates. lets be real here.

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE SPACE. It's about having an owner willing to do what she can to meet the dogs needs (this holds true with ALL dog owners).
Is it harder to give a dog the exercise it needs without a backyard? yea probably. but that doesn't mean its impossible.
Parks, dog walkers, doggy daycare, dog parks.. the city is FULL of ways to accomplish this and also full of HAPPY HEALHY DOGS.

"Well, can you really afford a dog? You must live in an apartment due to financial reasons"
lol very common misconception.
I live in a city in an apartment because I love the city, and I love apartment life. I like elevators, door men, neighbors, the close proximity, the noise lol all of it. I can't imagine having a house, maybe I never will..who knows.

and you think that I don't pay as much to live here as some people in homes? HA HA HA. check out the apartment prices in major cities next time you are looking around lol you would be surprised.

Why not just get a small dog?
I don't want a small dog.
I have nothing against small dogs, our family dog is a chihuahua who I love very much, but I don't want one. I want a golden.

What if your building stops allowing pets? its not a stable situation.
another common misconception is that ALL landlords are these awful people out to destroy pet owners lives.
My landlord LOVES dogs.
and most importantly, when I signed my lease. the rules that are on there "All dogs of accepted breeds are allowed" etc.. are the rules I follow as long as I live there. The rules instated later on do not apply to me or my dog, they only apply to those signing new leases/moving in.

The landlord signed a contract stating that me and my pet will always be allowed to live here with me. Regardless of new rules affecting the building.

Part 2. If you have to move you are going to get rid of your dog

Now, lets say through alien invasion my building is destroyed and I must move.
This doesn't mean I am getting rid of my dog.
I have wanted a golden retriever since I was 7 years old, moving without my dog wouldn't even occur to me.

Does it happen that people move and get rid of pets? yes. but that is because of PEOPLE, not because they lived in apartments. that has to do with their priorities and personal lives.

I live in one of the most dog friendly cities in the world. I picked a breed that is NEVER on the banned breed list.
Trust me, if I need to move.. I will find another place.

and yea, life happens. some people that even lay the BEST LAID plans fall through and MUST rehome their dogs.
are all these people people that live in apartments? No. Life happens... and sometimes people must make that choice.
its our willingness to make that choice, the plans we make, and what we do in that situation that makes us GOOD DOG OWNERS. not where we live.

What about neighbors and noise complaints?

My closet, where the crate/puppy will be when I am not home is sound proofed and can't be heard from the rest of my apartment let along anywhere else but lets say that I didn't have that option

Puppies aren't puppies forever. and yea, the first nights home, they cry.
I live in a building full of people with pets, people that GET THAT.
and yea, dogs make noise and some dogs REALLY make noise

I am a good neighbor, of course I would excuse myself and tell those around me that I'm sorry for the noise and do all I can to stop it.
There are options even if I have a VERY LOUD DOG.
Sound proofed areas, kongs, doggy daycare, TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING

Noise complaints are rare. This is city. NOISE IS EVERYWHERE. Car alarms, ambulances, helicopters, people on the street, etc..
This building also has children and because its so pet friendly, LOTS OF OTHER DOGS. lol people are pretty understanding

Your dog is going to get shot/stolen

Cities have crime, yup, lots of people..it happens.
this doesn't mean everyday of my life is like an episode of cops lol
I live in a safe building in a safe neighborhood.

___

I hope this opened your eyes a bit to people living in cities.

I think happy dogs with great lives live EVERYWHERE (apartments, cities, mansions, trailer parks, suburbs, farms) and they all have one thing is common..
LOVING OWNERS . that's what matters. not so much the other stuff.

Saying that all large dogs (or dogs in general) in cities have bad lives is like saying all dogs in regular homes have GREAT lives. and we all know that isn't true.

So try look at people case by case, don't judge a person by one tiny factor.. try to look at them as a person as a WHOLE and go from there

Responsible, loving dog owners come in all shapes, sizes, walks of life, colors, living situations, etc.. and I think they should all get a chance
source: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/...y-2-cents.html
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

I have a pug crazy Lil dog but perfect for an apt. My old roommate had a black lab with my dog on top of that. A big dog needs a yard that dog would fuck up everything. (I have never seen a dog eat drywall!)

Then again it's all about how you train them. My ex-roomate not a good dog owner let's just say.

Don't punish the dog though a big dog needs a back yard to run for hours a day. (I have had 4 dogs including a German sheaperd, best kind of Dog IMO very smart and protective!)
      09-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
that's why I have a crazy damn pug now too! Haha!
      09-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

First of all, whether you have a small dog or a big dog, they ALL need daily walks for physcial exercise and mental stimulation. A lot of people have the idea that it is ok to keep a small dog indoors in an apartment their entire lives since they don't take up as much space. They figure that the only outside time they need is to piss and poop. But you do this to a dog and they often end up being completely unsocialized and unfriendly to any new situations, people or other dogs. Small dog owners do not really have to deal with the consequences of an unfriendly dog because they think it's funny or cute when their dog barks at or even tries to bite every stranger it comes across. Large dog owners are far more responsible IMO because an out of control large dog is a serious liability. This is why they are generally much more consciencious of providing the proper outlet for their dogs to exercise and socialize. I really think that the #1 reason why dogs misbehave is because they have too much energy and not enough stimulation. Daily walks outside are the best way to calm a dogs temperment, provide bonding experiences and allow them to explore the world.

Now if you are of the mindset that you want to be a good owner and have a well adjusted dog, then you will make the commitment to provide it with enough daily time outside. This means at a MINIMUM 2 30-45 minute walks every day. If you can't commit to this, then don't get a dog. Not just a large dog, any dog. Because if you are hoping to get away with a quick walk around the block, then that's not fair to the dog and you can expect to have issues down the road. Raising a dog is a major responsibility and I hate it when people enter into it lightly. Expect that there will be real work and sacrifices to your time. Only then will you be rewarded with a happy and loyal companion.

I currently own a 45 lb shar pei mix. It's the first dog I've raised on my own. When I first got him, I was living in a studio apartment in Manhattan. So given his size and energy levels, I would wake up every morning at 6 am to take him to the dog park and let him play for about 45 minutes. When I was at work, I had a walker who I hired to come in every day to take him out for another 30 minutes. And when I came home at night, I would take him out again for another 45-60 minute walk/dog park trip. There were many times that I was tired or the weather was nasty and I didn't want to do it, but I always did, because his well being and happiness depended on me taking him out every day. Also with the cost of the walker, my dog became the second biggest monthly cost after rent. But it was all worth it to me.

So bottom line is that you CAN raise a larger dog in an apartment. But understand the amount of work that will likely be involved. Also understand that if you want to raise a small dog, you still have to commit a lot of time to it. Hope this helps.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coh4777 View Post
First of all, whether you have a small dog or a big dog, they ALL need daily walks for physcial exercise and mental stimulation. A lot of people have the idea that it is ok to keep a small dog indoors in an apartment their entire lives since they don't take up as much space. They figure that the only outside time they need is to piss and poop. But you do this to a dog and they often end up being completely unsocialized and unfriendly to any new situations, people or other dogs. Small dog owners do not really have to deal with the consequences of an unfriendly dog because they think it's funny or cute when their dog barks at or even tries to bite every stranger it comes across. Large dog owners are far more responsible IMO because an out of control large dog is a serious liability. This is why they are generally much more consciencious of providing the proper outlet for their dogs to exercise and socialize. I really think that the #1 reason why dogs misbehave is because they have too much energy and not enough stimulation. Daily walks outside are the best way to calm a dogs temperment, provide bonding experiences and allow them to explore the world.

Now if you are of the mindset that you want to be a good owner and have a well adjusted dog, then you will make the commitment to provide it with enough daily time outside. This means at a MINIMUM 2 30-45 minute walks every day. If you can't commit to this, then don't get a dog. Not just a large dog, any dog. Because if you are hoping to get away with a quick walk around the block, then that's not fair to the dog and you can expect to have issues down the road. Raising a dog is a major responsibility and I hate it when people enter into it lightly. Expect that there will be real work and sacrifices to your time. Only then will you be rewarded with a happy and loyal companion.

I currently own a 45 lb shar pei mix. It's the first dog I've raised on my own. When I first got him, I was living in a studio apartment in Manhattan. So given his size and energy levels, I would wake up every morning at 6 am to take him to the dog park and let him play for about 45 minutes. When I was at work, I had a walker who I hired to come in every day to take him out for another 30 minutes. And when I came home at night, I would take him out again for another 45-60 minute walk/dog park trip. There were many times that I was tired or the weather was nasty and I didn't want to do it, but I always did, because his well being and happiness depended on me taking him out every day. Also with the cost of the walker, my dog became the second biggest monthly cost after rent. But it was all worth it to me.

So bottom line is that you CAN raise a larger dog in an apartment. But understand the amount of work that will likely be involved. Also understand that if you want to raise a small dog, you still have to commit a lot of time to it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply dude, I know its going to be tough but we are fully committed and ready to put our time and efforts into raising this pup. I've raised a couple of dogs in the past while living with my parents and I can tell you that if I look back at how they were raised, I would surely not make the same mistake again. We have a huge yard but our dogs weren't always allowed to roam free.

Its going to be tough but we have a pretty good plan set out, and we're looking into obedience classes right now. Do you guys have any suggestions? How are the classes at petsmart/ petco? Some people have said they are good, and other have highly been against them.

The big problem right now is that we're trying to find an apartment that will accommodate for the puppy. Also, most places have weight restrictions on anything over 20lbs. The puppy will be about 8-9 weeks old, do you think I could get by without them knowing? Of course until she is about a year old, then I can tell the management, or maybe just lie and tell them that its about a year old.. I don't see a problem unless they actually check the dog.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Thanks for the reply dude, I know its going to be tough but we are fully committed and ready to put our time and efforts into raising this pup. I've raised a couple of dogs in the past while living with my parents and I can tell you that if I look back at how they were raised, I would surely not make the same mistake again. We have a huge yard but our dogs weren't always allowed to roam free.

Its going to be tough but we have a pretty good plan set out, and we're looking into obedience classes right now. Do you guys have any suggestions? How are the classes at petsmart/ petco? Some people have said they are good, and other have highly been against them.

The big problem right now is that we're trying to find an apartment that will accommodate for the puppy. Also, most places have weight restrictions on anything over 20lbs. The puppy will be about 8-9 weeks old, do you think I could get by without them knowing? Of course until she is about a year old, then I can tell the management, or maybe just lie and tell them that its about a year old.. I don't see a problem unless they actually check the dog.
I'm curious why you even made this thread. No offense but your sound like you're already dead set on getting a Golden Retriever for your 1 bedroom apartment. Everyone is giving you very similar advice and even though you've been polite and thankful for said advice, your response has been much the same referring back to your past experience.

Of course it's possible to keep a dog that size in your apartment but it will cost you in many different fronts. A friend of mine got a Lab or Lab/Golden mix less than a year ago for his 3 bedroom 2 story condo. The dog has overgrown his place already. He takes the dog for obedience classes at the petsmart or petco. But the dog is just too big and has too much energy. Last time he left the dog unattended, dog messed up the WHOLE house; tore up a bunch of important documents too.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #21
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:

I can't speak on Petsmart of Petco training classes since I have no experience with them. I would assume however since they are both large national chains that some locations will be good and other not so good. It's pretty hard to find uniformly competent dog trainers all around the country. I found a trainer for my dog by searching forums and whatnot. If you do find a trainer, I would recommend one that uses positive reinforcement methods. There are a lot of such trainers, and one of the more prominent ones is Victoria Stillwell from the show Me or the Dog. Here is a blurb from her website that explains some of the basics of the philosophy:

http://positively.com/positive-reinf...reinforcement/

As for your building, I guess it really depends on the management, your neighbors, and how much you are willing to risk it. When I was living in New york, my building did not allow dogs at all, but several of my neighbors had large and small dogs. The other residents and management were chill and basically ignored the policy as long as the dogs were well behaved, did not bark, and did not mess up the hallways. I'm sure though that if any dog was causing trouble, or the residents and/or management was anal, then the owner would be warned and possibly kicked out.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

I strongly, STRONGLY, recommend against this. I've known plenty of people who try this, and start strong walking their dog several times a day, and that care and attention always ends up tapering off. A golden retriever needs room to roam, and an area to call his own.

Remember if you start neglecting him, he may not tell you, but you'll be making him miserable without even knowing it.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0