BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
JZBE92
I poop at work to save money on toilet paper.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SOLD, FR-S Monogram

temporary roll cage or not set in stone?

Hello Everyone

I was curious if there were roll bars that were temporary and not permanent. I love the practicality of my e92 and would hate to lose backseats to a track hobby if I'm not dead set on making the investment. I'm a total track newb but want to be safe. Are there any options for me?

Thanks

Jon
2012 JZB E92 M3 Coupe. DCT/ZCP. Paint Match IND Cosmetic Package, Arkym Bumper, Verstrabe Paddles, LUX Angel Eyes, Vorsteiner double sided CF CSL trunk lid, Evolve Valve Exhaust, 19x9.5 et 21, 19x10.5 et 22 TE37 SL Pressed Graphite
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

You can find one here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648648

This would be useful to fix a racing seatbelt harness.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

^But that's not a roll cage or a roll bar. I too have wondered whether there are roll bars for our cars. I know they make them for Caymans etc. so you can remove it at some point if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
^But that's not a roll cage or a roll bar. I too have wondered whether there are roll bars for our cars. I know they make them for Caymans etc. so you can remove it at some point if necessary.
Yes the above is not to reinforce the car or for safety measures. Just to be able to use a 4-point seatbelt harness.

A proper rollcage is normally welded to the chassis, or at least screwed in. Didn't know there were "on-the-fly" removable ones.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Well they have to weld plates to the car generally, which you bolt the bar to. But the plates can be removed, at least in theory.

Like this: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...available.html
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Yes the above is not to reinforce the car or for safety measures. Just to be able to use a 4-point seatbelt harness.

A proper rollcage is normally welded to the chassis, or at least screwed in. Didn't know there were "on-the-fly" removable ones.
Yes and this decreases safety unless it's an ASM design. And even if it is, there are groups that won't allow it on track. Oh and you should have equal restraints for both sides.
      08-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Yes and this decreases safety unless it's an ASM design. And even if it is, there are groups that won't allow it on track. Oh and you should have equal restraints for both sides.
I wouldn't use it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If you're a noob going into this sport EXPECTING to roll your car hard enough to require a roll cage, you probably shouldn't try it in the first place. No offense.

This "sport" isn't nearly as dangerous as you make it out to be if you properly mitigate the risks involved. Start with an organizations that's been lauded for its long history of safety, work your way through until you've gained enough knowledge to be dangerous, then you can choose to go to the lapping days and drive "flat-out" to your heart's content. Then you can make a determination of whether or not you want to risk your life every weekend, or if you want to walk away from the inevitable.

And I'll bet at that point your car will be so far removed from being able to be recognized as a stock M3 that the point of a permanent cage or a bolt-in one won't even cross your mind.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
JZBE92
I poop at work to save money on toilet paper.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SOLD, FR-S Monogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
If you're a noob going into this sport EXPECTING to roll your car hard enough to require a roll cage, you probably shouldn't try it in the first place. No offense.

This "sport" isn't nearly as dangerous as you make it out to be if you properly mitigate the risks involved. Start with an organizations that's been lauded for its long history of safety, work your way through until you've gained enough knowledge to be dangerous, then you can choose to go to the lapping days and drive "flat-out" to your heart's content. Then you can make a determination of whether or not you want to risk your life every weekend, or if you want to walk away from the inevitable.

And I'll bet at that point your car will be so far removed from being able to be recognized as a stock M3 that the point of a permanent cage or a bolt-in one won't even cross your mind.
Thanks for your advice. No worries. I welcome the hardcore to give me their opinions. I just started auto cross a month ago and that's super addicting. I'm just slowly easing into the idea of going to the track. Other newb drivers have told me that it was "intense" and "scary". Haha. And being a safety minded individual, I just want to be safe.

Thank you all for your comments. We, newbs, appreciate your experience.
2012 JZB E92 M3 Coupe. DCT/ZCP. Paint Match IND Cosmetic Package, Arkym Bumper, Verstrabe Paddles, LUX Angel Eyes, Vorsteiner double sided CF CSL trunk lid, Evolve Valve Exhaust, 19x9.5 et 21, 19x10.5 et 22 TE37 SL Pressed Graphite
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

There are numerous shops which make roll bars, cages, etc which can be bolted into your car, and ultimately removed if you want to sell your car. Very little alteration to your interior. Your being in Calif should be easy for you go find several sources. Be aware, any bolt in is no substitution for the real deal.
Good luck.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Both VS Motorsports and AE Performance make great bolt in solutions.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK

Well said.

And at the point when you will need roll protection, get at least a half cage/roll bar from a REAL racing team with proper reinforcements. I've seen way too many half-assed, temporary/removable designs out there that make absolutely no sense at all and would probably do more harm than good.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
FR01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Well they have to weld plates to the car generally, which you bolt the bar to. But the plates can be removed, at least in theory.

Like this: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...available.html

Not sure why you'd wanna remove it from a Cayman to begin with. Just get a clear engine cover and add some paint to the valve covers and it would look awesome!

It is however easier to remove in a Cayman as its really a hatchback. The rear just mounts to the strut tower.

2011 M3 Dakar Yellow-Black Leather-Comp Pkg-DCT-Akra Evo-AP BBK Front-VOLK RE30/BBS GT4 18x10" Square
1995 M3 Boston Green - Chipped - Ground Control Coilovers - APEX ARC8
Past: 2005 Porsche Boxster S-Silver-6spd-Fabspeed Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Well said.

And at the point when you will need roll protection, get at least a half cage/roll bar from a REAL racing team with proper reinforcements. I've seen way too many half-assed, temporary/removable designs out there that make absolutely no sense at all and would probably do more harm than good.
Exactly... a million better things to weld a roll cage into than a beautiful street car E92 M3 unless you are going sponsored racing with it... and by the sound of OP's post he is just getting into it.

You really have to irrationally want to race an M3 in an amateur series and have the bankroll to support it...
could have more fun in something cheaper and purpose built
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Both VS Motorsports and AE Performance make great bolt in solutions.
Yes we have a bolt on solution
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
You really have to irrationally want to race an M3 in an amateur series and have the bankroll to support it...
could have more fun in something cheaper and purpose built
Scott Carey does it with SCTS Racing on an amateur level (BMW CCA CR).

Granted the E90 M3 started its life as a totaled/salvage title thus making it somewhat financially feasible. Somewhat.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR01 View Post
Not sure why you'd wanna remove it from a Cayman to begin with. Just get a clear engine cover and add some paint to the valve covers and it would look awesome!
Resell value. The number of potential buyers drops greatly if the car has a permanent roll cage.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
FR01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Resell value. The number of potential buyers drops greatly if the car has a permanent roll cage.
Sure I agree. The OP seemed to want something that he could remove/replace more frequently than a few times a year.

2011 M3 Dakar Yellow-Black Leather-Comp Pkg-DCT-Akra Evo-AP BBK Front-VOLK RE30/BBS GT4 18x10" Square
1995 M3 Boston Green - Chipped - Ground Control Coilovers - APEX ARC8
Past: 2005 Porsche Boxster S-Silver-6spd-Fabspeed Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR01 View Post
Sure I agree. The OP seemed to want something that he could remove/replace more frequently than a few times a year.
Oh, I didn't notice that. I agree with you, it is kind of pointless to remove multiple times. I (and most track guys) like the look.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #20
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
Yes we have a bolt on solution
For e90?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #21
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Since it's bumped already, how strong/useful are bolt in cages vs. a true welded cage?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Bolt in cage - minimum legal requirement for racing
Weld in cage - safety of occupant number one priority

You won't find data because none exists. Cages are fabricated custom based on what holds up in crashes. It's an art AND science, but more an art. A good cage builder will have seen hundreds of crashed cars, but likely never see any crash data other than g's on the car during impact.

If you want to be safe, get a proper custom built cage welded in with proper NASCAR bars, gussets, and foot protection. Anything short of that, I say, keep the air bags and millions of dollars worth of crash data on your side in the unfortunate event of serious collision.