BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #353
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I don't think twice about driving 6-8 hours for a weekend of tracking. I guess everyone's perspective is different. I'm heading to O'fest here in a few weeks for 5 straight days on the track. Can't wait.
      09-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #354
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
If you shredded a set of tires in 2 sessions, you should look at how you're driving. If you're smooth, your tires will last a lot longer. And PS2's are known to shred on the edges and get greasy when they get hot. Not the best track tire. The PSS are suppose to be better ornthere are cheaper alternatives too.
Get back out on the track and see how you feel about it.

Well, he didn't say he shredded a set of "new" PS2's in 2 sessions. I bet they already saw some use before said 2 sessions...
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #355
M3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3,911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
The reason i barely go to track because it's way too far. Its 100 miles away, i will be really tired after 100 miles driving
I think mine is far too..
anyone knows of a place like than in New England area? (MA, NH?)
I heard there is something in CT?

will be really helpful if someone can point me..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #356
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Well, he didn't say he shredded a set of "new" PS2's in 2 sessions. I bet they already saw some use before said 2 sessions...
True

But PSS aren't track tires

They're great street tires though, from what I've heard
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #357
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I didn't say anything about "new" tires either. You can do a whole weekend on tires near the wear bar if you check your pressures and are smooth. I'm not that smooth, but I've seen it done.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #358
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
I think mine is far too..
anyone knows of a place like than in New England area? (MA, NH?)
I heard there is something in CT?

will be really helpful if someone can point me..
Lime Rock Park is in Lakeville, Ct.

http://www.limerock.com

The Conneticut Valley, Patroon (Albany area) and New Jersey BMWCCA chapters all have track days there.

You can also get on track with the Sports Car Driving Association.

http://www.scda1.com

You can also check out New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #359
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
I didn't say anything about "new" tires either. You can do a whole weekend on tires near the wear bar if you check your pressures and are smooth. I'm not that smooth, but I've seen it done.
From what I've heard though, no matter how smooth you are, if you're in a heavy car and are a fast fast FAST driver, you can really go through tires quick
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #360
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I don't think twice about driving 6-8 hours for a weekend of tracking. I guess everyone's perspective is different. I'm heading to O'fest here in a few weeks for 5 straight days on the track. Can't wait.
We're going, but only doing 1 day of DE.

DO you think you'll need to change tires and brake fluid during the event?

I think if you own a ///M car you should take it to the track at least once to see what it's real potential is. Speeding down the freeway or back roads is not the place to experiment. And I 2nd autox as a way to step in slowly.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #361
M3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3,911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Lime Rock Park is in Lakeville, Ct.

http://www.limerock.com

The Conneticut Valley, Patroon (Albany area) and New Jersey BMWCCA chapters all have track days there.

You can also get on track with the Sports Car Driving Association.

http://www.scda1.com

You can also check out New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

CA
thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #362
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I have one more reason not to track
i'm selling my 2008 M3 now because my 2012 M3 is almost here
without fail, every single person that has contacted me about the car
has asked me this:
"Has the car been tracked?"
so if you're thinking resale, tracking a car does put a red flag to a lot of buyers
      09-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #363
ASGM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS VT2-600

I'm waiting for the new F1 tack to open up in my city , gonna hit the track once every month atleast .
      09-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #364
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

There are three reasons why I don't track the M3.....
  1. I have a highly modified, race-prepped Ducati 848 that I track/race on a regular basis
  2. The M3 is my daily driver and I cannot afford to potentially wreck it on the track
  3. Tracking a bike is far more involving, rewarding and enjoyable than tracking a car IMHO!

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #365
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post

I think if you own a ///M car you should take it to the track at least once to see what it's real potential is. Speeding down the freeway or back roads is not the place to experiment. And I 2nd autox as a way to step in slowly.
I'm running my E36M3 at O'fest. I just ordered a new set of Nittos for the event. I typically get 10 track days out of a set of Nittos, so I doubt I'll have a problem with 5 days at O'fest. I will rotate the tires through out the 5 days though. Brake pads should be fine too, although I'll have a spare set with me. I change the brake fluid every 6 months on my track car, so there won't be a need to change it during Ofest. I may have to bleed the brake fluid if it gets too hot, but I run (Superblue) high temp fluid, so that usually isn't a problem either.

One important technique to avoid overheating brake fluid is to use your cool down lap to cool down the brakes before coming into the pits. Slow down from track speeds but keep the speed up 40-50+ for some good air flow to the brakes. Also avoid brake use on the cool down laps by coasting and downshifting into the slower corners so the brakes have a chance to cool.
      10-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #366
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post

I'll be driving my E36M3 at O'fest. I get 10 track days on a set of Nittos so, I'll be able to make it all 5 days and I only change my brake fluid every 6 months, so that sould be good to go as well. I may have to bleed the brakes, but I use high temp superblue, so it usually isn't a problem. Also, I don't use my brakes on the cool down laps. That helps to prevent boiling the fluid.
      10-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #367
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Was at Road America with Badger Bimmers this past weekend, and saw a good reason not to take your new M3 onto the track. Someone in my run group (intermediate -- I'm advanced, but I was running with intermediate due to many stupid crazy fast cars in advanced) plowed what looked to be a virtually new M3 into the tire wall coming out of 12. Not huge damage, but I'm not sure how I'd feel spending another 3 - 5 years with a car as my DD that had been in that kind of accident. Someone in the advanced group plowed the front end of his fairly new Evo into something, I think around the kink area (turn 11), and sustained pretty major damage. This was on a completely dry track, and not that cold (at least not for WI this time of year).

I plan to track my M3 someday, but probably not during the time when it's my DD. I've already hit a tire wall in my R32 after spinning off a wet track, so I know what it's like, and as bad as that felt, it would be so much worse doing it to my new M3. There are way too many people that think track accidents will never happen to them, but they are a fairly regular occurence at all the track events I've been too.
      10-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #368
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
> Someone in my run group (intermediate -- I'm advanced, but I was running with intermediate due to many stupid crazy fast cars in advanced) plowed what looked to be a virtually new M3 into the tire wall coming out of 12. Not huge damage, but I'm not sure how I'd feel spending another 3 - 5 years with a car as my DD that had been in that kind of accident.

What a bummer! This points up the importance of insurance. If you can't afford to lose the value of the car out of pocket, then insure yourself for the track days. There are several options. Search the forums here.

I've seen a few accidents in wheel-to-wheel racing. None but the odd spin or 4-off in HPDE. I don't know any stats, but I feel safer in HPDE with everyone paying very close attention to everything, rather than driving the streets with f**ktards thinking they can text and drive, drive 90mph through snow, street race their sms trucks, or treat their SUVs like MG Midgets to weave through traffic.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #369
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

If you cant afford to wreck it you can't afford to track it.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #370
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
If you cant afford to wreck it you can't afford to track it.

CA

..The bottom line!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #371
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Was at Road America with Badger Bimmers this past weekend, and saw a good reason not to take your new M3 onto the track. Someone in my run group (intermediate -- I'm advanced, but I was running with intermediate due to many stupid crazy fast cars in advanced) plowed what looked to be a virtually new M3 into the tire wall coming out of 12. Not huge damage, but I'm not sure how I'd feel spending another 3 - 5 years with a car as my DD that had been in that kind of accident. Someone in the advanced group plowed the front end of his fairly new Evo into something, I think around the kink area (turn 11), and sustained pretty major damage. This was on a completely dry track, and not that cold (at least not for WI this time of year).
Isn't there an instructor in each car???

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #372
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
..The bottom line!
thats hwy im buying a 944 turbo. Great track cars. easy mods, big power, and an ls1 replacement option.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #373
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Isn't there an instructor in each car???

If you wreck your car while their is an instructor riding with you the instructor is not required to pay for the damage.

CA

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #374
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
If you wreck your car while their is an instructor riding with you the instructor is not required to pay for the damage.

CA
You're kidding right? Do you realize the instructors are volunteers?