BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #23
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The Dinan x-pipe, like the Borla x-pipe, has four resonators. I think this is what makes the sound reasonable. I bought a Top Speed x-pipe for $475 shipped, spent $200 on resonators and $150 on welding, for a total of $825. Right after I did that, a used Borla popped up for $850 . . . . New, they are about $1400.

Resonators cost about $50 each. You can add resonators to most no resonator or dual resonator x-pipes pretty easily if you can weld stainless or have a local shop that does.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

We do not all have unlimited budgets. My car has been modded almost entirely on a budget, with nearly all mods used, on sale or carefully shopped to find the lowest price. Just because it is a BMW does not mean you should buy only the most expensive parts. We have owned BMWs for 20 years and have five of them presently, 4 of which are modded.

Besides, I have yet to see a dyno showing that the Riss outperforms the Dinan or that the Challenge outperforms the Top Speed, etc. As far as I can tell, a fully catless, resonatorless x-pipe is pretty close to another fully catless, resonatorless x-pipe. And one highflow cat x-pipe is pretty close to another highflow cat x-pipe.

If I did have an unlimited budget, I would probably buy the Akra because it looks really nice and the titanium is lightweight. However, I would not expect it to add much power over similarly configured alternatives.

For me, the question was more whether I wanted to spend $2500 for 25 rwhp worth of mods or $2500 for 50 rwhp worth of mods. I went for the 50 rwhp.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I just put on a Challenge x pipe and love the sound paired up with my AA rear section. My wife had reservations about it, but even she admits it sounds great. I got an ESS tune and left the cold start in, she's not a fan of that. Once, that dies down, however, it's fine at idle and cruising/highway speeds (no drone)....it's a screamer when you put your foot on the gas, though. Make no mistake, it is significantly louder than stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I never understood the folks that look at the price too closely when it comes to mods
Oh I dont know.... I'm not certain may it have have something to do with those green things we fork over when we want something!
Appreciate 0