BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

09-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

So do you guys get aftermarket batteries (aka Optima) since I'm due?

Seems my current battery won't hold much of a charge past 3-5 days of sitting idle so may be time for a new battery.

Do you guys just get a stop battery from dealer or is it worth getting an aftermarket battery? If I have to send money I usually like to upgrade
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Interstate seems to be the most popular aftermarket option, but no aftermarket options I've found have the 900 cold crank amp rating that the OEMs do. No experience with aftermarkets though since I'm still on the one my car came with.

Make sure you register it either way though, yes it does matter. And if you switch amp-hour or AGM/non-AGM from what you have, you'd need your car recoded too.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
I don't think Optima makes a direct fit battery for the e9x. I went with an OEM.
Optima is a terrible brand anyway--they switched their manufacturing to Mexican facilities and now have seen a near 100% warranty rate with batteries across model lines. Odyssey makes some top-notch equipment, and are worth checking out:

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Optima is a terrible brand anyway--they switched their manufacturing to Mexican facilities and now have seen a near 100% warranty rate with batteries across model lines. Odyssey makes some top-notch equipment, and are worth checking out:
Hmmm good info on the Optima. I had one in my Jeep 10 years ago and it was brilliant. I guess things change over time...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Hmmm good info on the Optima. I had one in my Jeep 10 years ago and it was brilliant. I guess things change over time...
I was in a similar mindset as well--owned one about 9 years ago and loved it. Went to buy one for a new car two years back, and had been told by two vendors that they stopped carrying them for that exact reason shared earlier.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
mdefalco25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

This has been discussed in the past and I think the consensus is to stick with the OEM and get the car reprogrammed by service department if you want the maximum life out of the battery. I just replaced mine a few months back and went OEM myself. Interstate, Sears and an independent shop in my town wouldn't touch my car so it left me with little options and I didn't want to risk anything. Just my two cents...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep

hmmm, too bad about Optima!

I will look into the Odyssey batteries to see if there is a direct fit model.

Can you buy a battery from dealer and install yourself? Why do you need it programmed?

I hate to pay labor for something if I can do it myself.
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798174

There is a Sears Diehard AGM that is a direct replacement for our cars, info is in the thread above. Price is $170ish w/core exchange, depending on when you can catch the sales. For those that don't choose OEM, this is what most migrate to. The reason for registering/coding is explained by Tom in the same thread.

You can pick up an OBD-II cable from eBay for about $30ish and get the BMWLogger software and register (code) the change yourself. The software, once connected, gives you the option to "register battery". You click the link, get the confirmation, and that's about it. That's what I ended up doing. I dug around and found the software online, but I can't remember where, as it's been a bit since I changed the battery. If you need it, hit me up in PM w/your email address and I'll send it your way. And BTW, the Bavarian Tech equipment doesn't work for registering M3 batteries, so don't bother picking one up for that purpose. There is no option to do so in the software window. I created a thread about that if you want to search.

If you want to switch to a smaller/lighter battery, you can move to a Mini (car) battery or a Braille. If you search by either of those terms, you'll find the pertinent information.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-03-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure about that. Even with the Bavarian Technic cable cannot register the M3 battery. It works on non-M e9x though.
We're not talking about non-M e9x, this thread is specifically about the M3, so pretty much you're repeating what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
And BTW, the Bavarian Tech equipment doesn't work for registering M3 batteries, so don't bother picking one up for that purpose. There is no option to do so in the software window. I created a thread about that if you want to search.
Here's the thread I mentioned:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810387

Not sure, huh? *lol* That's interesting, as, just like I said, I've done it, so I *am* sure.

Software: http://**************.com/BMWLogger

Anything else?

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-04-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep

Just got back from local friendly dealer and service guy quoted me:

$170 labor to code
$350ish for the battery

I have an OBDII reader so maybe I already have the cable.

Ok so just to make sure I am understanding correctly the Bavarian Technic cable won't work but if I get the BMW Logger software, I can code the battery and not have to go to dealer? Where can I buy this software? Just load it onto a laptop?

P.S. my car is 2009 e90 m3 if that matters

thanks again for all the help and wealth of info
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
Just got back from local friendly dealer and service guy quoted me:

$170 labor to code
$350ish for the battery

I have an OBDII reader so maybe I already have the cable.

Ok so just to make sure I am understanding correctly the Bavarian Technic cable won't work but if I get the BMW Logger software, I can code the battery and not have to go to dealer? Where can I buy this software? Just load it onto a laptop?

P.S. my car is 2009 e90 m3 if that matters

thanks again for all the help and wealth of info
Check out my post right above yours *lol*. The BT software won't allow you to register the battery, no. Regarding the BMWLogger software, I used the $5 version of the software. You'll need a cable, as well. Not just a reader, but the OBD II to USB cable. It seems like a lot of these programs work best on WinXP, so I reloaded an extra laptop I have lying around with a fresh XP Pro install, for car use only. I'm going back through my eBay transactions to point you in the right direction. I'll repost when I find it so you can see if it compares to what you have.

Edit: K, found the guy, but he's not selling the cable anymore. And it cost $37, not $30, so my bad on that one.

When I originally started looking for a cable, I researched and found that some work, some don't, I can't specifically remember why. You can spend about $100 and pick one up from BPMSport that you know works, or you can Amazon them as well, and trial and error until you find one that does for 1/4 to 1/3 the price. I purchased the first one from Amazon, and ended up sending it back as it was the wrong cable. 2nd one from eBay works fine.

If you'd like, I don't have a problem with letting you borrow mine so you can register your battery. Just cover postage to/from.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-04-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ok. Do you feel better about yourself now?
Never felt bad, player. Keep it on subject.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm..wasn't sure.. from your post above, you seemed to be a bit butthurt.

But you are right, keep it on subject.
No, just never understood someone with no firsthand experience in a particular subject questioning someone who has actually *has* firsthand experience in said subject.

But, back on subject. OP, there's a wealth of information on e90post and **************, BTW, in case you ever get bored *lol*. I find a lot of useful information over there (e90post) that applies to our cars. Anyways, the cable in this post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861085 looks exactly like the one I have. They're $35.99 on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370847481341

Edit: seems like certain websites are blocked, which leads to the "**********". Google "bmw coding", the first site that pops up is what I was referring to.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-04-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

$520 for a battery? Wow!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
$520 for a battery? Wow!!
Yup, the Diehard is *much* more reasonable, and it comes w/a warranty, as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798174

There is a Sears Diehard AGM that is a direct replacement for our cars, info is in the thread above. Price is $170ish w/core exchange, depending on when you can catch the sales. For those that don't choose OEM, this is what most migrate to. The reason for registering/coding is explained by Tom in the same thread.

You can pick up an OBD-II cable from eBay for about $30ish and get the BMWLogger software and register (code) the change yourself. The software, once connected, gives you the option to "register battery". You click the link, get the confirmation, and that's about it. That's what I ended up doing. I dug around and found the software online, but I can't remember where, as it's been a bit since I changed the battery. If you need it, hit me up in PM w/your email address and I'll send it your way. And BTW, the Bavarian Tech equipment doesn't work for registering M3 batteries, so don't bother picking one up for that purpose. There is no option to do so in the software window. I created a thread about that if you want to search.

If you want to switch to a smaller/lighter battery, you can move to a Mini (car) battery or a Braille. If you search by either of those terms, you'll find the pertinent information.
Most folks wont go through this.

Just stick with the OEM folks. They are as much as an Xbox. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Most folks wont go through this.

Just stick with the OEM folks. They are as much as an Xbox. lol
We're not talking about "most folks". We're talking about the OP, who specifically said
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play
I hate to pay labor for something if I can do it myself.
So this thread is obviously directed at those of us who like to turn our own wrenches and not rely on someone else do something simple like replacing the battery.

No offense, but I can't see how you can condone wasting money like that. That mentality is the reason why the infamous "BMW tax" exists.

Sears installs the battery for and add'l $20 bucks (free if you can get the right person), and you have to spend $40 for software (which will also pull and erase codes, and datalog) and a cable. So pretty much you're okay with paying more than twice the amount to go to the dealer (who doesn't warranty the battery for those of us out of warranty, BTW) when you can do the reset in 5 mins, with Sears taking another 30-40 to install the battery? The price difference is enough to buy one of the following:

-a set of Lux H4s
-some coding from Benvo
-the iND appear package

But, if you don't want the satisfaction of doing it yourself, hey, more power to you.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-09-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
We're not talking about "most folks". We're talking about the OP, who specifically said

So this thread is obviously directed at those of us who like to turn our own wrenches and not rely on someone else do something simple like replacing the battery.

No offense, but I can't see how you can condone wasting money like that. That mentality is the reason why the infamous "BMW tax" exists.

Sears installs the battery for and add'l $20 buck (free if you can get the right person), and you have to spend $40 for software (which will also pull and erase code, and datalog) and a cable. So pretty much you're okay with paying more than twice the amount to go to the dealer (who doesn't warranty the battery for those of us out of warranty, BTW) when you can do the reset in 5 mins, with Sears taking another 30-40 to install the battery? The price difference is enough to buy one of the following:

-a set of Lux H4s
-some coding from Benvo
-the iND appear package

But, if you don't want the satisfaction of doing it yourself, hey, more power to you.
Regardless...OEM will suffice, period, end of story. ALL folks will realize this in the end. Trust me when I say I have been working on cars since 1990 and have gone through every damn battery and aftermarket battery for shows and lightweight ones. From the NSX through several M cars. OEM is the way to go period and it is cheap, regardless of what anyone thinks.

I am not going to sit and debate fact and what's known.

Good day.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Regardless...OEM will suffice, period, end of story. ALL folks will realize this in the end. Trust me when I say I have been working on cars since 1990 and have gone through every damn battery and aftermarket battery for shows and lightweight ones.
No offense, but your age and experience have little relevance with this thread. This thread is for the DIYer, period, end of story. No one is questioning whether the OEM battery will work; obviously, it will. The questions were, "is there another alternative" and "can I do this myself?" The answers, of course, are:
a) yes, there are and
b) this is how you do it.

Like I said, if you want to spend 2x-3x (search around on e90 post; some dealers charge damn near $800) as much @ the dealer, go for it. No one is stopping you. Personally, I'd rather spend that extra money on other opportunities, but that's just me.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-07-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #20
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619
Quote:

Sears installs the battery for and add'l $20 buck (free if you can get the right person), and you have to spend $40 for software (which will also pull and erase code, and datalog) and a cable. So pretty much you're okay with paying more than twice the amount to go to the dealer (who doesn't warranty the battery for those of us out of warranty, BTW) when you can do the reset in 5 mins, with Sears taking another 30-40 to install the battery? The price difference is enough to buy one of the following:

-a set of Lux H4s
-some coding from Benvo
-the iND appear package

Regardless...OEM will suffice, period, end of story. ALL folks will realize this in the end. Trust me when I say I have been working on cars since 1990 and have gone through every damn battery and aftermarket battery for shows and lightweight ones. From the NSX through several M cars. OEM is the way to go period and it is cheap, regardless of what anyone thinks.

I am not going to sit and debate fact and what's known.

Good day.
True i would go oem. But leave the dealership thinking holy shit $500 for a battery LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
True i would go oem. But leave the dealership thinking holy shit $500 for a battery LOL.
Been running a non-OEM battery for over a year now. It's fine as long as the specs match.

FYI, cost me like $180 I think, did the install myself (recommend getting help, that sucker is HEAVY).
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Been running a non-OEM battery for over a year now. It's fine as long as the specs match.

FYI, cost me like $180 I think, did the install myself (recommend getting help, that sucker is HEAVY).
I recommend you start hitting the weight room
Appreciate 0