BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

Super sport tires rumbling

So I to replace my back tires so I went with the super sport cuz everyone says they are the best. But I didn\'t change my front p zeros, and now it feels like I\'m driving a 335i and not an m3, not knocking the 335 but anyone who has driven both knows the difference. Is this lack of m3-ness due to not changing all the tires to super sports or is this something I should be worried about.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

there is no way in heck that I would ever drive a car with two different sets of tires / tread patterns on it who advised you to do that????
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

The OEM Pzero is an awesome tire for grip, just terrible for wear. Mixing brands and tire types is normally not a good idea if you plan on aggressive driving or really the track. For just everyday driving you shouldn't even notice. Also since you didn't replace the fronts how did it change steering feel or anything? The car may have a different balance when pushed but if you didn't change the front it shouldn't have changed the feel that much or if any at all.

Next issue is the rears wear twice as fast as the front. So by the time the fronts wear down the rears will need replacing. I would try and sell the fronts to help subsize the new fronts while there is still good rubber on the fronts.

The OEM PZero tire like I said earlier is an excellent tire, the M3 is tuned for this tire along with the other OEM tires that are on the car. Its not like you have Fuzion tires from Pep Boys on the front.

I don't think this is a good practice as most on this board will tell you this, but its not the end of the world either considering the tires you have.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
335iJWC
~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 335i-M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
The OEM Pzero is an awesome tire for grip, just terrible for wear. Mixing brands and tire types is normally not a good idea if you plan on aggressive driving or really the track. For just everyday driving you shouldn't even notice. Also since you didn't replace the fronts how did it change steering feel or anything? The car may have a different balance when pushed but if you didn't change the front it shouldn't have changed the feel that much or if any at all.

Next issue is the rears wear twice as fast as the front. So by the time the fronts wear down the rears will need replacing. I would try and sell the fronts to help subsize the new fronts while there is still good rubber on the fronts.

The OEM PZero tire like I said earlier is an excellent tire, the M3 is tuned for this tire along with the other OEM tires that are on the car. Its not like you have Fuzion tires from Pep Boys on the front.

I don't think this is a good practice as most on this board will tell you this, but its not the end of the world either considering the tires you have.

Dave
Well said,

Also in the track or when being pushed your car might tend to under steer as you have less traction in the front