BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Issue(s) installing Agency Power cat delete and section 2 midpipes

Hoping the forum can be of assistance, I simply can't get the front pipes onto the headers. The driver's side header had a clamp and gasket which easily came off the pipe however the passenger side clamp and gasket seem to be stuck on permanently. Was the driver's side clamp even supposed to come off or is the passenger side indeed the problem? Because of the design of the gasket and Agency Power pipes, there is no way for me to install them close enough to be screw them down. Does this even make sense? LOL appreciate the time, thanks in advance

On a side note, I decided to start the car with no piping as it had to be moved. One word - wow. It took less than thirty seconds for my head to hurt and the smell to become almost overbearing.
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit

Last edited by DJDeez; 12-11-2011 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: Added further detail(s)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeez View Post
Hoping the forum can be of assistance, I simply can't get the front pipes onto the headers. The driver's side header had a clamp and gasket which easily came off the pipe however the passenger side clamp and gasket seem to be stuck on permanently. Was the driver's side clamp even supposed to come off or is the passenger side indeed the problem? Because of the design of the gasket and Agency Power pipes, there is no way for me to install them close enough to be screw them down. Does this even make sense? LOL appreciate the time, thanks in advance

On a side note, I decided to start the car with no piping as it had to be moved. One word - wow. It took less than thirty seconds for my head to hurt and the smell to become almost overbearing.
I would clean the end of the headers. There was some goo in there that had hardened on mine. Lightly coat the header and midpipe with antiseize -- very light -- so they come apart easily later. I had to pull the header and midpipe flanges together and push the bolt down to get the nut started.

If you do not have the pipes aligned correctly, you may have difficulty inserting the midpipe into the header. You want to do this end first and the rear exhaust end last. Leave the fexible middle brace and the fixed bracket bracket very loosely installed while you are playing with the header to midpipe connection.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I had to pull the header and midpipe flanges together and push the bolt down to get the nut started.
So the flanges (what I referred to as clamps) and gasket are supposed to move freely and come off the header pipes? The drivers' side flange and gasket came off without issue, the passenger side flange and gasket will not move period even after my best efforts. Thoughts?

It also seems as though the Agency Power midpipes will not fit with the OEM gaskets. They have supplied their own thin metal versions, do you know if these will work? I just find it strange there is nothing attached to the header pipes at all, leaks are a huge concern at this point.
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I guess I did not have any install issues.

Here is the realoem diagram for the midpipe:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...45&hg=18&fg=10

Here is the diagram for the headers (nothing interesting here):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...31&hg=11&fg=50

I did not have to do any fiddling and did not study the parts that closely. In other BMW exhausts, I have sometimes found that one side is welded in place and the other side has a removable flange and a cone shaped gasket, and the exhaust inserts on one side and butts on the other side.

If you need a new cone shaped gasket, you can buy them online by googling the PN from the realoem diagram. If you need longer flange bolts, you can find those by identifying the threadpitch and then looking for one that is 10mm, 15 mm or even 20 mm longer at a good hardware store or fastenal or similar specialty hardware store.
Appreciate 0