BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
///Mperative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: like grandma

Garage List
2014 BMW 550xi  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
If you're having this much trouble finding another car it's probably easier to find another wife.
Awesome!

Audis suck. My parents have had numerous Audis and they invariably have mechanical problems: bad suspension, broken (by me) oil pan, bad transmission, engine issues, quattro issues, etc. Brand new, Audi is generally ok because at least you have the warranty; so, it would be ok to lease if the lease rates and residuals weren't so horrendous. Out of warranty, watch out. Audi transmissions don't last; you can expect to replace the transmission after about 100k miles. Needless to say, that's very costly.

The interiors are also kinda crappy and everything is red; I don't care what anyone else says about them, but I do not like the Audi interior -- BMW is much nicer (so is Lexus, for that matter). I-Drive FTW!
      10-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Extend the warranty and keep what you have. Changing is rarely cheaper, and as other have said re reliability, I would rather own a BMW out of warranty than an Audi and that is saying something.
+1

My wife just decided on a 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT over the Audi S4!

Great car so far and she loves it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Sorry, can't help.

Mrs. MMME30W located the car I eventually bought in Indianapolis and insisted we fly up to see it. Melbourne Red/E92/6MT. She's a keeper.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #26
strummr
Private
Rep
Drives: X3MC, TTS, S3M3, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlef View Post
Awesome!

Audis suck. My parents have had numerous Audis and they invariably have mechanical problems: bad suspension, broken (by me) oil pan, bad transmission, engine issues, quattro issues, etc. Brand new, Audi is generally ok because at least you have the warranty; so, it would be ok to lease if the lease rates and residuals weren't so horrendous. Out of warranty, watch out. Audi transmissions don't last; you can expect to replace the transmission after about 100k miles. Needless to say, that's very costly.

The interiors are also kinda crappy and everything is red; I don't care what anyone else says about them, but I do not like the Audi interior -- BMW is much nicer (so is Lexus, for that matter). I-Drive FTW!
Let me offer a differing opinion. I went from a 540i6 to B6 S4 to E92 M3 (with a few other SUVs, sportscars, trucks in bet). The S4 had hands-down the best interior (two tone Recaros with Alacantara inserts all around), great build-quality, and provided me with 4.5 years of bullet-proof service. (75k logged) It's not the most luxurious, sporty, fastest, practical, but it's one of the best cars I've ever owned as a do-it-all car. (hearing the 40 valve v8 with full exhaust was an other-worldly experience)
Current: 2019 Porsche TTS stg2 custom-tuned, 2022 X3MC, 2005 Dinan S3 M3 ZCP custom-tuned, 2016 GTi SE PP 6MT | notable recents: 2015 Cayenne Turbo, 2019 VMAX, 2015 Porsche 911 TTS, 2011 Porsche 911 TTS, 2013 GT-R BE A12+, 2011 E92 M3, 2010 Corvette Z06
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I once owned an Audi
Bought a brand new A5 when it first came out
Loved the looks (still do)
Loved the interior (still do)
Hated the driving experience
4wd is great.
Zero steering wheel feedback
You'd take the corner, and hope for the best
Manual transmission sucked
3.2l v6 sucked so much, I rarely used any gear higher than 4th if I wanted any kind of acceleration

Sold the car after 6 months
Thankfully I only lost $600 as there was a 3 month waiting list for them at the time
Never again
There are certain things I'm willing to compromise on
Cars aren't one of them
I can't drive a car I don't enjoy driving
The whole commuter car concept is not my thing

One small, and maybe politically incorrect question
What is she doing to cut costs?
Or is the cost cutting only on your side?
      10-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #28
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Don't do it! If she loves you and you love your m3. She has to understand! Or you could compromise by lessening your hornyness!

Seriously - There are a few models I long for EVO's, STI's, GTR and M3s
Mine - Evo X Hers - E350, after a career upgrade she had to get a gas saver (ironic I know but her job requires heavy traveling) So she ask for me to change my car. I stupidly agreed. Comes the CRZ, a hybrid it's good... I get to drive the Benz more but no. The car is a truck and its no EVO. I begged for an Evo but she wants a Benz to keep. We went to MB dealer and ended up with a c63. I got suckered by the exhaust note and I was happy for a few months. Finally I put my foot down and when we could do it I opted for my 2013 M3, I'm just glad she also said yes being a luxury brand. It cost us a lot in the long run. But now I'm back to my happy state with my M3. Definitely way better than the EVO by I would have been as happy with the damn thing. So, please don't do it or you will find yourself in a whirlwind situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
swcc50
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2CS  [0.00]
I just bought a 135i, and I can honestly say getting out of my audi is the best feeling in the world, after 50k miles it was a nightmare, and before that everything is so damn difficult to take apart.. and resale is shitty as hell.

with that... keep the M and try and save money elsewhere.

I know the 135i doesnt even compare, but its all the same family and i can only imagine how the M performs/ feels on DD
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #30
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummr View Post
Let me offer a differing opinion. I went from a 540i6 to B6 S4 to E92 M3 (with a few other SUVs, sportscars, trucks in bet). The S4 had hands-down the best interior (two tone Recaros with Alacantara inserts all around), great build-quality, and provided me with 4.5 years of bullet-proof service. (75k logged) It's not the most luxurious, sporty, fastest, practical, but it's one of the best cars I've ever owned as a do-it-all car. (hearing the 40 valve v8 with full exhaust was an other-worldly experience)
You got VERY lucky then. The B6/B7 S4 is likely the most unreliable car that Audi ever built. The B6/B7 S4 section on Audizine is all problems. Problems with EVERYTHING. The worst of which are leading to TONS of engine failures.

That said, the B8 S4 seems to be pretty reliable. Only a few minor issues.

THAT said, OP, there is absolutely no reason to "downsize". It makes no sense from any angle and you'd be crazy to do it.
      10-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #31
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

leave one morning, get the car wrapped, change the wheels, buy a 328i badge and replace your M badge with it.

then go home and tell her mission accomplished. you're welcome
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #32
cshawkeye
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Good one. Looks like after explaining to her the fact that we only really have to pay for tires until 2016 on this car that she is going to stop bothering me about it. I am still open to offers if they do come by its just there really is not much out there that could replace the fun factor of this car and give me AWD.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #33
toan414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I had to laugh a bit to see that a full tires set for my (new to me) E30 cost as much as my front left tire for the M.

I had a 335, went on the AWD track and bought a Lexus to downsize. Loved Audi but after going on their forums to read up on Audi engines/issues/maintenance, I ran away. Bought the Lexus and enjoyed the brief moment of downsizing. The daily drive was miserable. 2 months later, couldn't really stand it, went car shopping again and bought the M3. The drive home from Atlanta to DC in the M3 brought happiness that downsizing could not. I rather keep the M3 and eat ramen then downsize again. My girlfriend loved the Lexus for the ride comfort, but realized I was not enjoying it, so she supported the M3 purchase knowing that it would make me happy.
Appreciate 0