BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Need Urgent Advice needed on EDC!

Hi guys, i'm a noob that desperately needs some advice. Last night I pulled the trigger on a 2010 jet blk e92 with premium pkg, nav pkg, EDC, sunroof delete and 19's. Unfortunately the car was at another dealer and before my dealer could secure it, it was sold.

Dealer has given me 3 options: (1) order a 2011, (2) take one of 2 2010's that are available. I can't wait another 2 mths for the 2011, so I think i'm going to pick up one of the 2010's. The only problem is, they don't have the exact pkg that I want.

The closest is a jerez blk with all the options except for EDC. Herein lies the dilemma. How important is EDC to me? I haven't really researched EDC bc i always assumed i would get it. I just did a search but haven't been able to get all the info i need. apologies if this is already out there.....

so.....

how impt is edc? I'm going to daily drive the m3 with mybe 1 track day a year (recreational... not harcore). I don't care about comfort as I'm coming from an evo X... my only concern is that EDC may give me the option for stiffer settings?? the sportier the better for me... if the stock suspension is more sporty and less "comfort", that would be fine with me. what i'm afraid of is that the stock suspension without EDC is too soft.

Also, does edc only control suspension? So I will still be able to modulate steering and throttle sensitivity?

Tks guys. and apologies again if this has been covered elsewhere!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Get EDC.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

I don't have EDC so I don't really know what I'm missing if at all. I plan on going KWv3 anyway. My car without EDC, and Eibach springs still rides comfortably but on the sporty side.
      04-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
whiteE92M3
Rep
Drives: 08 White M3

Get EDC
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

tks for the quick feedback so far guys!

i also found this thread which is useful... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106173
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I have EDC, really it's not that important, maybe worth a couple tenths at the track if that. It's the one option I could have done without in hindsight, and I got almost all of them. Spend the money on Motons, Ohlins, whatever instead.
      04-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
PCGuRu2K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 JB E92 M3

Definitely get the EDC.. The car feels too soft on the track without it.. Or if you just like driving aggressive and take hard turns on the street then it'll help too
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
So I will still be able to modulate steering and throttle sensitivity?
Throttle sensitivity (aka 'power' mode) is standard, so no worries there. But steering (servotronic) is not, and I'm almost sure you only get it with the tech package, since it can only be activated by the 'M' button on the steering wheel. I don't believe EDC alone gives you that.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

If you plan on modding the suspension (springs, struts or coils) then you're better off without EDC. Other than this I cannot offer advice. You should drive the non-EDC car and see if you can live with the ride. It isn't that bad. I think the biggest value of EDC is that you get a better (less bumpy) ride on bad roads than without it.
      04-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

If you have to ask, you can live without it. There is nothing wrong with the way the car rides on the street or the track without the EDC. If you are only doing one track day a year then who cares that you don't have the stiffer setting, and you don't really want to use the comfort setting when driving on the street anyways.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

I have EDC. On the track I usually leave it on the default setting. I don't think the car is too soft on that setting. Also, in my experience, with OEM tires, the default setting gives you noticeably more grip than the Sport setting.

In other words, my opinion is that, in most conditions and with OEM tires, the only benefit of the EDC Sport setting on the track is psychological. Some drivers are reluctant to push the car when it starts rolling a little bit, and a stiffer suspension makes them feel more confident. But in terms of grip, stiffer is definitely not always better.

Having said that, I use the Comfort mode quite often in the street, especially when I have passengers.

Personally, I would order a 2011 with EDC and all the options I want. It's not a cheap car, so you might as well get it exactly as you want it.

Last edited by drivendriver; 04-16-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I live in michigan where the roads are terrible. I could not own this car without EDC. Especially with kids, I use it everyday. sorry ...

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivendriver View Post
I have EDC. On the track I usually leave it on the default setting. I don't think the car is too soft on that setting. Also, in my experience, with OEM tires, the default setting gives you noticeably more grip than the Sport setting.

In other words, my opinion is that, in most conditions and with OEM tires, the only benefit of the EDC Sport setting on the track is psychological. Some drivers are reluctant to push the car when it starts rolling a little bit, and a stiffer suspension makes them feel more confident. But in terms of grip, stiffer is definitely not always better.
Having said that, I use the Comfort mode quite often in the street, especially when I have passengers.

Personally, I would order a 2011 with EDC and all the options I want. It's not a cheap car, so you might as well get it exactly as you want it.
Very true statement, nearly 100% true when talking about street driving.

I've said it before and i'll say it again and anyone who really drives these cars and understands suspension will tell you that EDC is a joke. It is certainly not a necessary. Yes, you can feel a difference between the settings, but they don't make the car handle any better. Just stiffening the shock dampening doesn’t always make a car handle better. Someone mentioned above, get a nice set of coilovers. They are by far and away worth the money. I’ve never driven one without it but I hear the non EDC cars stiffness is somewhere in between the normal and comfort setting. Yet inspires more confidence when driving.

My car came with EDC and i now have a set of TC Kline DA coilovers. The car handles the washboard bumps better than the comfort setting of EDC and performs/behaves 10x better than EDC in ANY setting. I'm pissed that i waited a year to get the coilovers. They made all the difference with this car.

It's strange because you get into the M, and driving it is a joy. You think that the car does everything so well, and it does for a factory GT car. But then you put some proper suspension on the car and DANG! What a night and day difference. The car is so much more predictable, far more confidence inspiring, has better steering turn in, and is an all around better performing car once EDC was dumped. (don't get me wrong though, it was predictable, and handled well in stock configuration, just sooooo much more so after the coilovers)

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 04-16-2010 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Tks so much for all the feedback guys! It is so helpful getting advice from people who have real-hand experience! I know that waiting for the 2011 is probably the smart/rationale thing to do.. the problem is, the m3 has always been my dream car and now that i'm so close, I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!! hahahahaha....

In all seriousness though, everyone raises valid points. I don't intend to mod the suspension at all... I think, if i did, i would opt for non-edc - as some of you mentioned. In terms of comfort, I'm again not that concerned. The roads up here in Canada are generally good and a compliant ride is not crucial - if my passengers don't like it, they can take the bus. What I'm struggling with though is where does non-edc fall in the spectrum.. is it as sporty as normal mode or a little sportier? or less sportier. or is it not even a comparison since EDC provides an active element which does not exist in the non-edc. This is my dream car so I don't want to cut corners... but if non-edc is just as sporty as normal mode (or more) and sport mode is something that people don't really use off the track bc it is too stiff.. then mybe non-edc is not as big of a deal for me.... (i.e. bc i'd always be in normal mode in an edc which is similar to a non-edc...??). I'm probably making zero sense right now...... (apologies).

anyways, tks again for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Very true statement, nearly 100% true when talking about street driving.

I've said it before and i'll say it again and anyone who really drives these cars and understands suspension will tell you that EDC is a joke. It is certainly not a necessary. Yes, you can feel a difference between the settings, but they don't make the car handle any better. Just stiffening the shock dampening doesn’t always make a car handle better. Someone mentioned above, get a nice set of coilovers. They are by far and away worth the money. I’ve never driven one without it but I hear the non EDC cars stiffness is somewhere in between the normal and comfort setting. Yet inspires more confidence when driving.

My car came with EDC and i now have a set of TC Kline DA coilovers. The car handles the washboard bumps better than the comfort setting of EDC and performs/behaves 10x better than EDC in ANY setting. I'm pissed that i waited a year to get the coilovers. They made all the difference with this car.

It's strange because you get into the M, and driving it is a joy. You think that the car does everything so well, and it does for a factory GT car. But then you put some proper suspension on the car and DANG! What a night and day difference. The car is so much more predictable, far more confidence inspiring, has better steering turn in, and is an all around better performing car once EDC was dumped. (don't get me wrong though, it was predictable, and handled well in stock configuration, just sooooo much more so after the coilovers)
posted without seeing your post! tks that is verrrry helpful!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
I live in michigan where the roads are terrible. I could not own this car without EDC. Especially with kids, I use it everyday. sorry ...
Same thing for me in Montreal.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
posted without seeing your post! tks that is verrrry helpful!!!
I can't point you to the source, but i seem to remember reading many people saying that they liked the ride and handling of an not EDC car better than EDC in normal.

The only reason i got EDC was to get comfort access. So for me the deal breaker was CA. I begged them to leave out the EDC. I even offered to pay for the package but they could leave the EDC off of the car. No dice.
      04-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I ordered my M3 without EDC, and without most of all the options. And I don't regret my decision, including skipping out on EDC. I feel that even without EDC, the M3 is brilliant in handling and in comfort.

Though my honest opinion is that if you're getting many options, then might as well get EDC if you can.

I know you can't wait, but I feel that you should, and instead order a 2011.

What I really want to say is: DO NOT make a decision in a hurry. There's a good chance that you'll regret something afterwards. That's speaking from my experience. You waited such a long time for your dream car......Why not take a little more time and order it perfectly to your specs?

Hold off and take a little more time to think it over, if you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Hi guys, i'm a noob that desperately needs some advice. Last night I pulled the trigger on a 2010 jet blk e92 with premium pkg, nav pkg, EDC, sunroof delete and 19's. Unfortunately the car was at another dealer and before my dealer could secure it, it was sold.

Dealer has given me 3 options: (1) order a 2011, (2) take one of 2 2010's that are available. I can't wait another 2 mths for the 2011, so I think i'm going to pick up one of the 2010's. The only problem is, they don't have the exact pkg that I want.

The closest is a jerez blk with all the options except for EDC. Herein lies the dilemma. How important is EDC to me? I haven't really researched EDC bc i always assumed i would get it. I just did a search but haven't been able to get all the info i need. apologies if this is already out there.....

so.....

how impt is edc? I'm going to daily drive the m3 with mybe 1 track day a year (recreational... not harcore). I don't care about comfort as I'm coming from an evo X... my only concern is that EDC may give me the option for stiffer settings?? the sportier the better for me... if the stock suspension is more sporty and less "comfort", that would be fine with me. what i'm afraid of is that the stock suspension without EDC is too soft.

Also, does edc only control suspension? So I will still be able to modulate steering and throttle sensitivity?

Tks guys. and apologies again if this has been covered elsewhere!
why not have the dealer look a little harder for a car you want so you dont have to settle and get the car now?

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Have you driven the non-EDC car?

I would drive it and see how you like it. I agree that the different settings likely have minimal impact on objective performance measures, despite subjective differences in how the car feels. In my 997S, the car felt better and was faster (including by others, including SportAuto) in normal mode!

Plus - you can always mod the suspension if you like.

I wouldn't bother getting EDC again this time around. Knowing what I now know, I would actually get a pretty bare M3 (apart from DCT, which I love, but that's just me).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

EDC was on the list of options that I wanted when I was first looking for a car but when the exact car came up for sale with every option I wanted but EDC I bought it anyway. I have no experience of driving an M3 with EDC but it never crosses my mind now as the car drives brilliantly with the standard set up, so much so that if I was going to buy another I would worry that an EDC car might not drive as well.
I was out giving my car some stick today and once you start to get to the end of the prodigious levels of grip, the car really comes alive giving great confidence and a lovely balance.
While the best advice usually is to try out both cars..the problem is that it takes quite a while to fully understand the cars handling so it might not help that much.
Anyway, with or without EDC you won't be disappointed, its an epic car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Get it now. Just do it! EDC and non-EDC are not that different, it's still one of the best handling cars either way. You should be able to get a good deal on the 2010 anyway.