BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010

A question about ECU/Chip tuning

Hello people, I just have some questions regarding ecu/chip tuning.
I spent time searching for it, but couldn't get the answer so I thought I should ask people on this forum.
If you have some knowledge about this topic, please feel free to chime in.

1. I was wondering if it's possible to get CEL after you get the ecu/chip tuning.

2. If you do get the CEL after the tuning, what's the cause of it?

3. If this issue ever happened to you or someone you know.

I see that some people write sarcastic or non-related comments, but save that for your boss.......
Also, don't need to write "tuning does not worth the money, don't get tuned, they are not safe, and etc."

I'd greatly appreciated if you guys answer the questions.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

1) yes it is; a cel can be triggered for a number of reasons other than a simple increased emissions issue. This could also cause it if you have a first stage tune that is meant for stock midpipes and you go catless or hfc and your tune does not account for that. If your tune is meant for catless of HFC you should get no increased emissions warning triggering a cel - however, i dont see why a cel caused for other reasons would not appear as that is plain unsafe for the engine should something else go wrong.

2) You will likely need a handheld tool to tell you if the car doesnt display the error straight up = it could be a host of things.

3) no
      02-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
1) yes it is; a cel can be triggered for a number of reasons other than a simple increased emissions issue. This could also cause it if you have a first stage tune that is meant for stock midpipes and you go catless or hfc and your tune does not account for that. If your tune is meant for catless of HFC you should get no increased emissions warning triggering a cel - however, i dont see why a cel caused for other reasons would not appear as that is plain unsafe for the engine should something else go wrong.

2) You will likely need a handheld tool to tell you if the car doesnt display the error straight up = it could be a host of things.

3) no
thanks for your reply. but, what if you got the tune specific for HFC and CEL still comes up?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpneverdies View Post
thanks for your reply. but, what if you got the tune specific for HFC and CEL still comes up?
You have to run the codes and see what shows up. If you are still getting cat inefficiency codes then something is a miss with the tune.

Most tunes raise the thresholds to keep a CEL from coming on, even if you are catless. The CEL can still illuminate if something else is causing it.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpneverdies View Post
It is most likely another issue then. Sometimes CEL's are related to a tune but most times they are not..... A lot of times when a CEL comes on after you get a tune it is just a coincidence and the first thing people want to blame it on is the software.

Scan the car and see what the code is then go from there. There are lots of things that can turn on a CEL on our cars!
      02-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

I'll see if I can get my hands on a OBD Scan tool to see what type of codes pop up ...
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
It is most likely another issue then. Sometimes CEL's are related to a tune but most times they are not..... A lot of times when a CEL comes on after you get a tune it is just a coincidence and the first thing people want to blame it on is the software.

Scan the car and see what the code is then go from there. There are lots of things that can turn on a CEL on our cars!
ooo, i see. thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808E90 View Post
I'll see if I can get my hands on a OBD Scan tool to see what type of codes pop up ...
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
onait83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92 US Model

Hello, I own a 2008 Bmw M3 E92 US model and had it shipped to Europe. Sometimes when I push the car to its limits in acceleration, I get this 'engine failure, loosing power' then the car looses power and doesn't exceed 120km/hr. Then I have to stop for 10-15min,turn on the engine again and everything goes back to normal. Also sometimes I get this 'high emissions, service engine soon' . When I had it checked by the BMW dealership, they said that most US models have these problems due to the difference in benzine between europe and the US. They also suggested to change the fuel injectors and replace them with the european version. Any clues how to fix this? Thnx
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onait83 View Post
Hello, I own a 2008 Bmw M3 E92 US model and had it shipped to Europe. Sometimes when I push the car to its limits in acceleration, I get this 'engine failure, loosing power' then the car looses power and doesn't exceed 120km/hr. Then I have to stop for 10-15min,turn on the engine again and everything goes back to normal. Also sometimes I get this 'high emissions, service engine soon' . When I had it checked by the BMW dealership, they said that most US models have these problems due to the difference in benzine between europe and the US. They also suggested to change the fuel injectors and replace them with the european version. Any clues how to fix this? Thnx
Wasn't aware that US spec and Euro spec had different fuel injectors. I can tell you that this sounds like a bunch of BS. I can hit 200 km/h easily over and over without a single error or hitch. Hell, the car even likes to go 180+ MPH.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0